a book you started but never finished?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by katina, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. aModernHeathen

aModernHeathen Banned

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It's not that I wasn't interested, I just need more discipline in my daily reading schedule. I'm back to reading it now, along with finishing up Papillon.

2. unencumbered

unencumbered New Member

Wuthering Heights, I found it tediously tiring.

EFMingo and Catrin Lewis like this.
  3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

For me it wasn't so much the pace of the novel, but that the main characters were so relentlessly self-indulgent. I found I didn't give a darn for the lot of them.

jannert and EFMingo like this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That, and the OTT melodrama—and it's Victorian literature, which I normally enjoy. I never finished it either. (Loved Jane Eyre, but that was a different sister, wasn't it.)

Ditto any Thomas Hardy novel I've ever attempted to read. I actually like the filmed versions of his stories, but I find him unreadable. His style verges on the hysterical, in my opinion. Pity, because the stories are actually good.

Catrin Lewis and EFMingo like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel. I started this with great enthusiasm because I LOVE historical fiction, and this was supposed to be one of the best. I found her writing style so self-consciously quirky and overbearing that I quickly lost interest ...and lost my way as well. I think I only lasted a couple of chapters. What a disappointment.

I appear to be out of step with book prize winners.

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

As far as Name authors go, besides Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum was one I got only part way into. It's been a few years since I took a crack at it, so I can't say with accuracy what it was that turned me away. I think it had something to do with his prose.

7. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

Other books of his are hilarious, witty, brilliant. This one is just long and by extension I can only assume the entire series. I'm not having it. It's on my shelf only because I can't be bothered to consider how to get rid of it. Apologies to fans of this series. It's not for me at any stage of my life.

-SIN

8. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Although I read mainly old 'classics' and finish most books because I dislike stopping halfway through, I really couldn't finish Kafka's The Trial. Blasphemy, I know!

9. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Wow, theres a bit of them... but the most recent books that I couldnt finish were:
    • A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
      • i didnt like how it jumped POVs AND decades. Also, i didnt like how the author inserted herself into the story.... it took me out Nao's world. Nao's story was interesting, but then it would switch to Ruth as she is interpreting reading about Nao's story. idk... it was hard to get into, which was sad because I really thought I'd like it.
    • Paragon Hotel by Lindsey Faye
      • I was on hold for this book for 5 months! finally got it and was excited to read about the roaring 20s and an ex-mobster on the run from the mob. Maybe its because it was an audio and the narrator was lacking. It fizzled out for me. maybe I'll pick it back up and READ it instead of listening to the audio.