1. JWE1985

JWE1985 Member

A character's arc

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by JWE1985, Jan 31, 2022.

I'm currently working on a script for a pet project, but I need help figuring out a character's arc. The story is a fantasy of anthropomorphic characters (think Zootopia). In the story, the protagonist Kale, a wolf-knight is the black sheep because of he is responsible of his father's death. Despite years of moving past that, his adoptive mother Jaelyn refuses to acknowledge him out of hate. Kale wants to prove himself just as worthy to be as great as his father, but I'm almost thinking he might discover he doesn't need to live up to anyone's expectations aside from his own. I know that's as vague as heck, I'm still sussing it out. Any thoughts or input?

CoyoteKing likes this.
  2. Frieda

Frieda New Member

If he killed his own father, why did he do it?

Considering the fact that he is considered a black sheep (but not a murderer or a saviour), his motivation must have been somewhat understandable right? Does he regret killing his father?

Your character arc sounds like something that definitely fits this kind of story but I think it has quite a few conditions. If you go for this, make sure not to turn your character into a cold-blooded killer. Someone who cares about what others think of him does not become a killer unless they are either harassed or they find this death is helpful in some way. He must have had a good reason to kill his father. So then the next question is: Why did he believe it was necessary to kill him? Why do other people (e.g. his family) think differently? Why do they still keep him in their family? Is there a reason why he can stay even after this event?

Next up comes his decision to fight for glory. So why does he believe glory will bring him closer to his family or is it not his family alone? Does he just want someone to accept him, not caring who that is? Or is his family very materialistic? What other things has he done to be accepted by his family? Due to the fact that he has killed his father, I’d be careful about the “as great as his father“ part. In general that is a possibility but your logic needs to be sound. Someone who for example hated their father wouldn’t strive to become like them. If he wants to become as successful as his father but did not like him make sure that this character chooses a different road towards this goal, a different way to go about achieving it.

Lastly what makes him realise acceptance is not what he needs?

A very common writing tip is to give a character a need and a want. The want is what drives them to pursue the plot and the need is what they actually have to learn/get/become to complete their journey. In your case the need and the want do not align. He does not need acceptance. Well, in that case what does he need? Confidence? Power? Does he gain acceptance just to learn that it’s worthless to him?

If you can answer these question and you’re still satisfied with this premise, then I’d say go for it :)

JWE1985 likes this.
  3. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

I like it.

So— is your character trying to replace his father by showing he can be just as good as his father? Is he trying to make up for his father’s death?

If that’s the case, I think you should add an emotional arc where he realizes that he can’t replace his father, even if he’s just as good as his father, because that’s not how people work. Jaelyn probably misses her husband for more reasons than just because he was great.

So maybe add a character arc about your MC accepting his grief and accepting his father’s death. Maybe he learns to forgive Jaelyn for hating him. Maybe Jaelyn learns to accept her grief and live a full life while honoring her husband’s memory by forgiving her stepson and repairing their relationship.

Or maybe you have a more antagonistic role in mind for Jaelyn— who knows. But in order to pull this off properly, I think you’ll have to have the characters acknowledge he can’t replace his father.

JWE1985 likes this.
  4. JWE1985

JWE1985 Member

Well, Kale didn't kill him. More like failed to save him. Sorry, should have clarified that.

As far as his family goes, he's mostly trying to win his mother's approval as member of his house. And as for others, to prove he is worthy enoughto be like his father.

Ultimately, I want him to reach a point where he realizes what he wants isn't what he needs.

CoyoteKing likes this.
  5. JWE1985

JWE1985 Member

Well, I'm thinking he may have failed to protect him. But I do like the idea of Kale eventually forgiving Jaelyn for his actions.

I was also toying with the idea that Kale was an adopted son rather than being her actual son.

CoyoteKing likes this.
  6. Alcove Audio

Alcove Audio Contributor Contributor

Failing to save dear old dad shouldn't be enough to make him an outcast/black sheep. By actually killing his father you set up a lot of conflict to be resolved by the MC both internally and outwardly.

The adopted Wolf Knight has unknown 'abilities.' As his training progresses under the tutelage of his father the line between training and actual combat sometimes become blurred. One afternoon during training father whacks him on the head, triggering the abilities of Wolf Knight. (Berserker?) All Wolf Knight remembers is the training, then his father dead at his feet. No one believes him that he doesn't know what happened.

JWE1985 likes this.
  7. JWE1985

JWE1985 Member

OR, the wolf-knight, in his first battle, succumbs to fear, and his father dies as a result. Henceforth, Kale has been labeled a coward and ousted by his both his adoptive mother, and fellow wolf-knights. Now Kale is determined to finally proved his worth, with the death of his father weighing both his mind and shoulders.