1. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

A Cliche Hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Skye Walker, Sep 27, 2016.

Hi! I'm Skye Walker (so clever, I know), as you can probably see.

I'm a young writer of sixteen, and I can also be found on other writing websites (namely youngwriterssociety.com). Uh, the basics! I'm female, very arts-oriented (I write, draw, paint, sing, act, play the violin and viola, etc.) At the moment, I'm in the middle of a pretty big project, a six-book long series which is, for the most part, planned out.

I'm not really sure what the age range is here, but I've met some fellow teens already.

Ah, I'm ADD, sorry. Favorite Genres: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, almost all fiction, but mostly the imaginative side. Some of my favorite books are some by David Weber, Marion Zimmer Bradley, sci-fi novels written in the fifties are really interesting (for me particularly, I find the ideas of writers back then interesting).

Movies: Star Wars is great, the MARVEL Cinematic Universe is pretty cool. Other movies I may have to get back to you on, haha.

TV Shows: Ooooh. Long list. Doctor Who, Sherlock, Supernatural (to an extent), The Flash, Arrow, DC'S Legends of Tomorrow, Once Upon a Time, Merlin, Young Justice is amazing, and that's all for now.

What else... Hmm.

Welp, that's all I have on my mind for now. If you have questions, ask, if you're just a friendly older member with life experience, help me out, I guess? XD

Nice to meet you all!

~ Skye Walker

2. namin010

namin010 New Member

Welcome!

I'm a friendly (I think?) older member with life experience, although not much when it comes to writing xD I may not be of much help but I have to say I'm impressed at your six-book project at such a young age! I'm sure you'll find a lot of nice and helpful people here :)

Skye Walker likes this.
  3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Skye, and welcome to the forum! :)

Wow, you do sound very, very much arts oriented! That's so cool. :D
    Anyway, here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started.

Good luck with your writing project. This community is here for you if you need help. :)

-Kat

4. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Welcome to the forum @Skye Walker. I'm in my thirties and have been toying with the idea of writing since I was about 13 but only started taking it seriously recently. I'm a big Sci-fi and fantasy fan - particularly Star Wars :D and despite being in my thirties my partner is convinced I'm still a nerdy teen at heart. I'm kinda arty myself - I'm heavily involved in amateur musical theatre here in Ireland and I play paino & guitar (was in band in college :D) so I can relate somewhat.

Everyone on here is really friendly and more than happy to help so if you need advice from some of us "experienced" members just ask! :D

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Growing old is kinda mandatory. Growing up is optional. :p

Welcome to Munchkin Land. I see the Lollipop Guild has given you the rule of the land pamphlet. :supergrin:

Also here is a wheel of irony for you (some would say it goes with crackers). :superlaugh:
    cheese.gif I think this one is cheddar. o_O

6. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

@namin010, thanks for the welcome! I think I've already met some helpful people to help out :bigwink:

@KaTrian Awesome! I knew there would probably be a new member link-thing somewhere, thanks for helping me find it. :supergrin:

@karldots92 Ooh, fellow Star Wars fan. Nice to meet ya! Musical theater is greeeeat. ^-^ hahaha piano is cool, I can play basic stuff, but I can't read bass clef, so I just look at the treble clef, play it, and say "I absolutely know what I'm doing, yes. Of course I know bass clef. [shifty-side-glance]"

@Cave Troll I HAVE ARRIVED, FINALLY. IT TOOK ME TOO LONG, IN MY OPINION. >_>

Ah, yes, irony is great. I love irony. [chews cracker thoughtfully] :-D

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Bass clef is over-rated! I can't do it either so I just play the root note and pretend that its the way it was written:p

8. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

"I completely and totally know what I am doing. [presses A defiantly] See. :dry:"

karldots92 likes this.
  9. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

[whistles nonchalantly] :whistle:

Skye Walker likes this.
  10. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Hey @Skye Walker:superhello: (Freaking awesome name by the way!)

Welcome to the Forum. This is a really great place to learn more about writing and interact with your fellow writers. Also I love that you've started writing at such a young age, this gives you a whole lot of time to grow. learn and improve as a writer. It's good that you've started big, A six-book series is a pretty big project, some would be intimated by the scope but the fact that your going for it shows a lot of ambition. And ambition is an important requisite for success, so two thumbs up and good luck with your WIP :-D

Looks like we have a lot of common interests in genres and TV shows and movies.

I'm a fantasy guy myself, though I love and read SciFi too. Most of the books I've read though are by more contemporary authors, with the exception of Lord of the Rings and a few others. Though I've been thinking about getting into classic SciFi more, I love the works of Jules Verne but beyond that haven't read much classic SciFi, gotta get on that.

Also I'm a huge and I mean huge Harry Potter fan, read all the books, watched all the movies. Love Star Wars too, this is something I only got into in my late teens (I'm 24 now), but I'm loving it the more I delve into this awesome universe George Lucas has created.

I'm a pretty big fan of the DC CW shows - The Flash being my number one favorite. I noticed you didn't mention Supergirl, the first season had its issues - I've yet to finish it- but it still pretty fun and It looks like season two's gonna be better now that it's moved to the CW and is officially part of the Flarrow verse (even if its on another Earth)

I used to watch Supernatural religiously but kinda grew out of the show after season 8 (the first 5 seasons are still the best BTW), I still have a lot of love for it though and might get back into it, from what I've heard from all the social media, Season 11 is supposed to be pretty good, not the first 5 seasons good, but better than the last few seasons.

Anyway sorry for rambling on. Once again welcome to the forum. And as one of the friendly older members you mentioned (though it's weird for me to think of myself as older) I'm here to help anyway I can. I'm still working on my first novel, mine is part of a series too, of five books. So I'm not super experienced in writing and the publishing world, but what I know I'll happily share. And I might learn something from you in turn

11. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

Looks like I have a third online twin, @Fernando.C !

Aaah, first off, thanks a lot! I'm pretty involved with writing anyway (have been since I was twelve... we don't talk about that time), and I have it all planned out for the most part, so now it's basically filling things in and rewriting... over, and over. I'm already on my third rewrite of the first book. [laughs nervously]

Fantasy and Sci-Fi are the best. :D

FANDOM TIME.

HARRY POTTER IS GREAT. AAH. :love: THAT IS ALL.

Oh gosh, the CW is the best. The Flash and Arrow are both fantastic (though I am partial to the Flash, having watched it first... [shrugs]) Legends is still good, though the writing and story are both weak, in my opinion. About Supergirl, I haven't seen any of the first season yet... except for the Flash crossover. [nervous sweatdrop] heh. But from what I have seen of it, it's pretty cool. So. :)

Supernatural... It's good. I haven't seen it in a while though. I think I left off on season nine or ten... But tumblr is absolutely insane, so I'm basically caught up. XD

Again, thanks! I'd be happy to keep on chatting with you, maybe we can beta each other, or just discuss things, and like you said, learn from each other. I always look forward to that! :supergrin:

karldots92 and Fernando.C like this.
  12. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

No problem @Skye Walker, I'm always happy to chat, be it about writing or geeking our or anything in general :D

As for the beta reading idea, I'm open to it. I mean we're both gonna need beta readers eventually.

Also HELL YEAH HARRY POTTER IS GREAT:cheerleader:

Flash is my favorite of the cw shows too. It's simply the best written, and I love just how much and how deeply it embraces its comicbookiness. What with the time travel and multiverse and whatnot

Aroow, I loved the first two seasons, just absolutely great. The last two seasons though, particularly beginning from the second half of seasom 3, the quality of the show has gotten downhill. Writing isn't as good, and there just two many issues.

I still love it though, and if the promos for season 5 are any indication, it's gonna be a return to form. So I'm excited. Fingers crossed!

Legends has been pretty inconsistent in its first season, in its firsr season. There were plotholes galore. But it was still fun to watch, and there were some prety good episodes. And it ended in a great place. Season 2 gonna be a lot better, hopefully with much better writing.

Also I don't know if you watch any marvel shows but Agents of SHIELD is awesome. Easily one of the best comic book shows on tv, and it hurts me that its so underrated.
    I mean the first season was kinda slow bu lt got really good towards the end of it and has just gotton better with each seasons. It's currently in its fourth season and it's abaolutely fantastic.

Anyway that's enough fanboying for me for now:-D