1. hungrymind

hungrymind New Member

I want to write articles. What to study?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by hungrymind, Sep 15, 2009.

I have written some articles in the past but I'm not satisfied with the output. I have read some novels but I find it difficult to translate that in to article writing.

I'm willing to learn and want to write articles that makes an impact on the reader's mind. What should I study?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The obvious answer is to read other articles in the same publications you'd like to write for. Pay attention to these questions you have while you are reading the articles.

My personal opinion is that you should start each article by informing the reader exactly what the article is about. Nothing is more frustrating to a reader than an article that wanders for a page and a half and finally settles on something the reader wasn't all that interested in knowing anyway.

Compare that to an article that starts by telling the reader what the article is about, then maps out what will be covered in getting there, and finally fulfils those promises one by one.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

well-written articles, what else!??

4. p.sawyer

p.sawyer New Member

this might sound completely random, but i would say psychology.

i'm just nearing the end of my psychology degree and i have loved every single moment of it. from what i can gather you want to write about topics that actually mean something, that delve into the minds of others, that could be interpreted in different ways, and not just mindless celebrity gossip.

try reading 'psychologies' magazine. i'm a subscriber and it really puts theories and debates into an everyday context, so it's not hard-going.