Tags:
  1. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

A corrupted kung fu teacher who was originally trained by a kung fu master

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheMyst7885, Sep 13, 2019.

Say there is this one antagonist who is an American kung fu instructor who's become very renowned, who's full of corruption and bad to his students, but he was originally trained in his kung fu style by his own master who was a good and respectful man from China. What's a good excuse I can say how this bad instructor had first become a student of such a respectful and good kung fu master? This particular villain is supposed to be a bad kung fu teacher but his master was a good guy from China, how can I make sense of how they met and why would a good master train a bad guy who later becomes a bad teacher? I mean this bad guy doesn't really start out or show he's bad in the early years but later on he becomes full of greed and wanting fame owning his own kung fu business but uses it in a negative way. I'm sure his Chinese master would be very unpleased with this particular student he trained, so how can I connect how this master would of trained such a guy?

2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

So it's Capitalism versus Communism, and looking at the situation from many different Engels, I'm definitely Putin my Marx down for Communism. Not really though, I was being tsarcastic. Figured I'd let you know because it couldn't really be a communist joke unless everybody got it.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Why would the Master have agreed to train the American in the first place, or have continued to train him when he started showing less admirable traits?

AnimalAsLeader and EFMingo like this.
  3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

You've answered your own question here.

Baeraad likes this.
  4. TheMyst7885

He wasn't a bad student at first but after the American became a master instructor himself, he started doing shady business. I was wondering if this would make his master seem foolish for not catching on that his student would turn into a bad instructor this way. Readers might question this why.

I guess I kinda did. I should be more clear what I really wanted to ask. What would be a good excuse I could say how this guy met this kung fu master from China? I could say when he was a soldier overseas? Or say that he was a regular civilian that just happened to meet a Chinese master?

5. The Dapper Hooligan

Why would it matter to the instructor? He was teaching the kid martial arts, not asceticism. If the student was a good student and the teacher was a good teacher there would be no reason for them to stop training, and why would the master feel guilty for the actions of a student after they parted ways?

6. TheMyst7885

I was going to say that he taught him as an adult but maybe kid is better but I was really planning that this soon to be antagonist was on some kinda business trip or was in the army or something on how he met the master and learned martial arts from him.

Anyway you're right, after they parted ways and the student became a bad guy instructor, his master should not feel guilty for his actions, but it might be good that I show the master felt not just dishonorable after finding out but a sense of guilt being that he was humble or I could say he died and was unaware of what his student had become.

7. AnimalAsLeader

AnimalAsLeader Active Member

Maybe we wouldnt consider the master responsible, but he would probably blame himself. For the chinese, kung fu is more than martial arts, it is a philosophy and as such the master would not only teach the guy how to fight but also how to become a better person. If the guy becomes corrupted (whatever that means) the master would consider the training a failure.

Malisky likes this.
  8. TheMyst7885

That's exactly it!

9. The Dapper Hooligan

Would this be related to Taoism and the teachings of Lao Tze?

10. AnimalAsLeader

AnimalAsLeader Active Member

Yes and no. There are hundreds of forms of kung fu, some of which predate Lao Tsu, but eastern martial arts in general is always connected to some sort of philosophy. Eastern martial arts are a lot more about self-awareness and self-control than actually winning a fight, and I think that the first objective of the master would've been to teach the guy how to properly use the abilities to be a better person.

Malisky likes this.
  11. The Dapper Hooligan

I'm more asking because the teachings he passed on would probably similar to the ones he tries to live by, which means that defining the Masters beliefs could also help define his feelings and reactions to others actions.

12. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Remember the villain in Enter the Dragon?

13. TheMyst7885

That's correct. It's also a way of life. Which shows this antagonist didn't really take full care of the masters teachings and decided to run his own shady business system.

So what excuse could I make why the student grew up to be an evil corrupted kung fu antagonist instructor who ended up owning a shady business?

And would it be better if this antagonist guy met his Chinese master as a kid who was adopted by the master? Or this antagonist was already a young adult that happened to met this Chinese master and then trained by him like maybe like maybe the antagonist was some kinda English teacher or translator? I wanted to have it that the Chinese master came to the US and that is how they met.

Yes that I know. I was also thinking of that bad guy John Kreese from Karate Kid who became a bad instructor and he was also trained by a master himself before opening his dojo. I think it was a master from Japan or Korea they mentioned. Also like Ellie from Kill Bill who ended up becoming bad and she was a student that was trained by that master Pai Mei. Though this bad kung fu instructor can end up being similar to Han from Enter the Dragon in that he ends up owning a corrupted business and having his own island or own cities.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  14. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    He owns an island?

Google "private islands for sale" - you'll be surprised how cheap they are. There are also esipodes of "Island Hunter" on YouTube.

15. The Dapper Hooligan

Islands may be cheap, but the logistics of living on an island are not. That's why everything in Bermuda costs way more than it does on the mainland (the stuff they don't produce there, anyway).