Tags:
  1. Sky

Sky New Member

Testing out characters - A dialogue exercise

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Sky, Jan 17, 2010.

Hi,

I'm new here, I was just wondering whether we can start little topics (say between two or three people at a time) where we can get a character from something we're working on and have a completely random chat in their roles. I suggest this because I'm having a hard time with dialogue which is real and individual to a character. I'm writing my first story so this is extra hard for me... It could be mostly dialogue, but we could insert action points, too, if desired.

Is there something like this already available?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This has been done before in Word Games. I am moving this thread there now.

3. Sky

Sky New Member

Great, thanks.

4. blackbird04217

blackbird04217 New Member

I am unsure, but I figured this would be a great place to try out your theory hence my character will start. Though being completely honest, I get quiet here sometimes so hopefully a third character joins to fill the pause. I will attempt to keep up to date at least once in a while.

"Woah, what am I doing here!" a voice asks, remaining stuck in a small white room with no doors or windows. His voice is transmitted through the web of wires.

Am I doing this right? I certainly need dialogue practice.

5. Sky

Sky New Member

Hi there blackbird, thanks for wanting to take part. To be honest, I thought it would be easier if we had more or a general scene, such as, if applicable to all, in a classroom, or maybe in a meeting or something of that sort...

6. blackbird04217

blackbird04217 New Member

I was thinking that way too, my first thought was opening the dialogue with "What, where am I?" Allowing others to pick the scene, go ahead and setup a basic scene, I will try making a character up that I see fitting into that scene in some form. If you need to setup some sort of "direction" for the dialogue to travel then go ahead and state that as well. This ought to be interesting at the very least.

7. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Dragon walks in. “To be, or not to be. That is the question – a question. It’s not really even that good of a question, but I ask it anyway.” He pauses and turns dramatically. “Should I suffer the slings and arrows of – or guns and grenades I think would be more pertinent – or should I just die.” He looks to his audience. “Should I be an actor?”

8. Sky

Sky New Member

I've not explained this well, have I? I should have forethought of a scenario as blackbird kindly pointed out. Okay, lets see... I said earlier that we should have a general scene, but now I think it would be much better to just have random dialogue, and IF needed then just an indication of facial expressions or gestures. We do not need to describe our characters or the scenes, this is totally about the dialogue. If you want, you can sum the character's manners up, but we don't need to know whether they're even human. Here's an example, let me start:

My character is meant to be well-educated (he's supposed to speak well) and arrogant, kind inside.

"I apologise for the inconvenience, I didn't intend to be late."

9. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

I did this at another forum once and it was hilariously fun and good practice besides, although at that time we were doing it with our avatars, rather than a character we're trying to develop. So I don't mind jumping in for both reasons.

My character is quiet, doesn't talk much (that don't help this! xD) and generally a bit naive but also very physically strong.

"So, what is the purpose of us being here? What is to be learned?"

10. Empyrean

Empyrean New Member

Alright, sound spiffy!

*A Giant Dwarf walks in, and is of a moderate size in nature. A big toothy grin is plastered to his face.*

" I realize that this is an A, B conversation, but I'm still seeing my way in it."

11. Sky

Sky New Member

*Looks at the dwarf, and turns away*

"You're asking me what is to be learned? I sent you to get something out of Eric's feeble mind!"

12. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

John - repetitively sarcastic, obnoxious, insecure. Is it all right if i write this in the 3rd person?

*walks in and sees the dwarf*

"Well this is something of a surprise. A dwarf and... Who are you exactly?"

*points at other character in the room*

13. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    Jerrome looked up from the object in his hands as he was singled out "h-hey guys, o-o-r girls i didnt mean to offend honest - just with you being other races and all i dont know if the same rules apply. Not that i was looking or anything cause that would be rude and im not rude but im not really sure when to shut up. Well at least thats what people tell me anyway its just that i don-..."
    Jerrome faulted realising that everyone was now staring at him.
    why does this always happen he thought to him self.

14. Sky

Sky New Member

"Like the dwarf said, this was a straightforward conversation between two people; he had the decency to notice that." He looks at the last person (or rather, being) to enter. "Who are you? How did you know we were meeting here? And you (he looks at John), how dare you ask as to whom I am when you intruded upon my conversation? Did Alyssa send you? Does nobody understand the idea of a covert meeting?”

15. soujiroseta

John suppresses his sniggering after hearing the strange dude stammer and stutter. These were his little pleasure. Oh someone was talking to him,
    "..idea for a covert meeting?"
    "What? I wasn't listening, and who's Alyssa? I'm afraid i don't know anyone by that name. I was told that something really beneficial was happening here and now it seems i am the fool."

16. Sky

Sky New Member

"Don't be foolish, tell me the truth, Alyssa has put you on my trail, hasn't she?" Stepping closer to John, he shouts, "Hasn't she?"

17. soujiroseta

"The shouting is really UNNECESSARY! Honestly, you clearly have supressed issues and need to see a shrink." pulls out cellphone, "Might i recommend you to a friend of mine, Dr. Lunatic?"

18. Sky

Sky New Member

"What are you doing here, John? Just get out. Can't you see we're in the middle of something? You just tell Alyssa that I'll be having a word with her about how much control she thinks she has."