1. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

A couple of writing prompts

Discussion in 'Writing Prompts' started by PaperandPencil, Aug 15, 2020.

1) Write about a conversation between a group of co-conspirators. What kind of kingdom or government or organization are they conspiring against? Are they good or evil? What are their plans?

2) Come up with a set of questions or "mysteries". Write a story exploring these mysteries and what they are about. What is the unanswered question in your story? Is it about a person, place, or thing?

3) Take an inanimate object you see every day and make it into a living character. Describe your character/object. Does it talk? What does it say? What is its personality? Now write a short story in which this object speaks to the audience.

4) There's a person on the bus talking on their cell phone so you only hear their side of the conversation. What are they saying? Are they angry or sad? How do the people around them react to what they're saying?

5) Describe something you would like to see invented that would make your life easier. Now write a TV commercial or a newspaper article advertising this new invention.

dbesim, Kehlida and Dalantri like this.
  2. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

1) Create your own unique club. What kind of people do you admit to this club? What kind of characteristics make them potential members? Are there any hazing rituals that are performed as an initiation into your club? What is your club called and what do you do in it? Now write a story from the perspective of a character who is trying to get into the club.

2) Come up with your own original disorder. Now portray a patient speaking to their doctor about their symptoms. How does the doctor react? Are the symptoms relatively common or totally bizarre?

3) Come up with your own unique star, planet, or celestial phenomenon. What has it helped astronomers learn about our place in the universe? Can it be seen by the naked eye? What are the unusual properties of this thing? Now write an astronomy magazine/journal article about it.

4) You're sending out a sky lantern out into the sky. Is there a special spiritual significance for this for you? Did you write down a wish and send it out into the sky with the lantern?

5) Think of a coincidence that has happened in your life and use it as the basis for a narrative in which the coincidence was not an accident. What really caused it? What kind of difference did it make in your life? Do you believe it was your destiny?

Francisco D Alp likes this.
  3. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

1) Come up with a family of characters, each with their own unique personality. Are the kids rowdy or well-behaved? Do the parents get along and support each other or no? Now create a typical family dinner night conversation between the family. Do they argue or is their conversation congenial?

2) Create a character with one or more of the following psychological functions: Thinking, Feeling, Sensation, or Intuition. How do they employ this function in their dealings with everyday life?

3) Write a story in which an interesting conversation gets interrupted by an unforeseeable event. What’s more interesting – the conversation or the event? What were your characters talking about and what event interrupted them?

4) There is a prized historical relic up for auction. What’s the story behind it and it’s historical significance? How much are you willing to pay for it? If you get it, what will you do with it? What could it be used for in the wrong hands? Explain these things to your friend who is at the auction with you.

5) Come up with a legend or long-lost lore. It could be about something that happened long ago – who was involved? Does it include some high-tech or magical objects?

6) Depict a fight between a married couple. What triggered this fight? Was it a long time in coming? Was there a lot of yelling or no?

7) Is destiny governed by the personal forces of an omnipotent deity, or is it mostly random luck or chance? Have a character undergo an event and explain what happens to them in relation to the nature of their fortune. Was this event good or bad?

4. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

So I came up with one of these myself and the ideas for the others I found on the internet but I changed them and made them my own. If you found a particular prompt inspiring let me know! Or if you can reword a prompt to make it better post a reply!

1) Come up with a new disease with it’s own unique symptoms. Portray a character who catches this disease and the stages of infection that he or she goes through. Is this disease curable? Is it terminal? Does it have a name?

2) Write about a ship, car, bus, motorcycle, hot air balloon, airplane or any other vehicle you can think of. You climb on board and begin a wonderful new journey. Where will it take you? What will you do while you take in your surroundings?

3) Write about two people who make eye contact somewhere in public. Are they strangers or do they know each other? What is the meaning behind it? Do they act on it or ignore it? Stretch out the moment in which they make eye contact for as long as you can.

4) Write about a character or yourself who is doing laundry, the dishes or any other chores you can think of. What is unusual about this ordinary set of chores that your character is doing?

5) Write about a character who is dreading some future event. At some moment they are going to have to do something they don’t want to do. Write a whole story about how they are living through their anxiety but keep the reader in suspense by revealing what it is only at the very end (or don’t reveal it at all).

6) Write about a fictional professor who is an expert in some specific field of study. Describe this character. What is their specialty? Are they young or old? Have they written any books? How do they treat their students? What do they look like? Write an anecdote about this professor and some of their typical behaviors.

5. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

Here's another set of prompts - some of them were inspired by prompts I found on the internet by googling "creative writing prompts" but I modified them to make them my own.

1) Write about something you love doing. Depict a character doing this activity. Go into detail and show why this character loves doing this.

2) Write about a place without using any adjectives. In other words - tell a story about it. What happened or is happening there?

3) Write about a character who is struggling to adjust to society's or their parents expectations for them. Try to include dialogue to show rather than tell about their struggle. What kinds of norms are they rebelling against?

4) Create a character with an endearing human flaw. Depict the character as he or she struggles with their weakness. To create suspense in your story you could keep the reader guessing at what the flaw actually is.

5) Write about someone who has resolved to leave their old life behind and start completely fresh in the new year. What has caused them to make this decision? What were they unhappy with in their old life? What are they going to do in a new way?

6. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

Ok - I guess the admins want me to keep all my writing prompts in one thread LoL so I'll reply here ...

So since it's Earth Day tomorrow I decided to have my short stories class write something based on a set of Earth Day specific prompts. These are five original prompts that my Member Advisory Committee helped me come up with:

A) Write a story about a plastic planet or moon that orbits the Earth and acts as a depository for all the Earth’s trash. (this one specifically was my own personal idea and I wrote a little one-page long short story based on it)

B) Set your story in a world where people don’t create any waste. How would people live and go about their business?

C) Set your story in a world where trees are sentient and corn fields form unions.

D) Write a newspaper or magazine article about a new invention that cleans the world’s oceans or finds new ways to use all different kinds of trash.

E) Write a story set in a world where everyone donates their body to nature either by having a tree planted on top of their grave or having their ashes scattered into the ocean.

7. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

Some more original prompts which I came up with:

1) A character is found wandering around and doesn’t remember who they are or where they’re from. What happened to them? Where were they found? Who found them and what do they do now?

2) A pencil and an eraser have a forbidden romance.

3) Make up your own unique mental illness/disorder. Look up the characteristics of known disorders to find a clue about how to describe your made up disorder. Or you could jot down a few of your own or someone else's personality characteristics and exaggerate them and pathologize them.

4) Write an advertisement for a Rolex watch that turns invisible when it’s wearer isn’t looking at it.

5) Write a technical manual for a futuristic device which employs a lot of techno-babble. Try as best as you can to explain what it does and how it works.

6) Write a story that starts and/or ends with the statement “Inspired thought has the power to change the world.”

7) Start or end your story with a character chanting to themselves over and over - “I have value because I am a human being.”

8) Your character decides to turn their life around by trying to include more spiritual enrichment activities in their life. What do they do? What behaviors are they trying to avoid or run away from?

9) Make up a villain who has teeth made out of diamonds.

10) Write a philosophical treatise centered around the question “If your whole body went numb, how would you know that you still exist?”

8. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

1) Write about someone in the throes of anosognosia - the condition of being in denial about an illness.

2) Write about Mamihlapinatapai - a look that without words is shared by two people who want to initiate something, but that neither will start.

3) Scientists come across a $100 dollar bill that hasn’t been printed yet and assume it’s counterfeit.

4) Title your story “The Flea Hunter”.

5) Write a story that somehow involves a black cat.

6) Include a wet handkerchief in your story.

Some of these prompts may seem simplistic but I've found that sometimes leaving a prompt short and simple gives more free reign to creativity as it relies on the writer's interpretation of the prompt. Of course, you're also free to change the prompt in any way you like or combine two or three prompts together (or add on qualifiers like "using only dialogue ..." etc.)

9. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

1) Write an essay or a story portraying a character contemplating the following question: “Why is fighting or the willingness to fight for something seen as a test of character?” Is there an event or situation that makes the character face this question now?

2) Write a journal/diary entry from inside a magicians notebook. What is the magician planning? Have they figured out some alchemical formula or spell? Is this magician good or evil?

3) Write a story using a __________ as a symbol. What does it symbolize and how do you portray or hint at its symbolic meaning in your story?

4) Write about a character who has some kind of near-death experience. Take the characters perspective and narrate the experience from their point of view.

5) What do the spirits of dead people do with all of their free time, after they’ve died?

10. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

1) You are an established therapist and this is the first time that you’ve seen a whole family come in for therapy together. What is this family like? What are they there for? Depict a session of therapy with this family.

2) Start your story with the following statement: “Dreams, like many things in life, are very meaningful and realistic at the time that they’re experienced.”

3) In the future, Google develops a new technology which controls all self-driven cars called DTR or “Dynamic Traffic Redirect”. Write a newspaper article about this new technology. Create your own techno-babble or use the internet to research what you need to know to write this article.

4) What do you think is the most important thing for today’s kids to learn in school? Write a letter to your congressman advocating for this thing to be taught.

5) What are you recovering from right now? Write a story depicting a day in your future in which you will have already recovered completely.

6) Start your story with the following statement: “Your biggest assets are oftentimes things that you don’t even know you have.”

11. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Member

1) In what way are you strong? Write a list of your strengths and exaggerate them to the maximum degree in a story depicting you as a superhero.

2) Write a story in which children rule the world. How do they obtain their authority and why does everyone else listen to them?

3) Write about a character that vomits every time they tell a lie or even a half-truth.

4) You’re spending the night in a cave when you notice that the air flowing through the cave alternates between hot and cold and changes direction as if some gigantic creature is breathing!

5) Complete this thought: “Someone really needs to design a better _______.” You could expound on all the complaints you have against this invention or try to think of ways in which it could be improved or both! Your story could be written in the form of a critical magazine or newspaper article.

6) Have you ever had a memory that you’re not entirely sure was real? How do you explain this memory? Write a story somehow inspired by this memory (maybe depicting your memory in a journal entry).