A detective with no ties to law enforcement -- believable?

Discussion in 'Crime, Thriller & Action' started by Link the Writer, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

It's only been in the last 25-30 years that every mystery seems to need authorities at the helm in the Solving Department. Agatha Christie had Miss Marple and I'm sure there were others (can't think of any ATM). And when it comes right down to it, a private investigator (it's actually illegal in most places for private investigators to call themselves 'private detectives') is really just some person off the street who passed an exam or took an evening class. Technically, they're only trained in process serving and how to sit in a parked car and take photos of cheating spouses... and maybe not even that last one.

I think it's time for a revival of the common-person investigator. As for how to go about it, I don't think you need to do anything extraordinary, just rely on your 'little grey cells.' ;)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

3. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Ahh, a little down under trick, post your statement down under but inside the quoted message. See my sleuthing paid off. :cool:

4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Crikey, you've got me all figured out. And here I thought I was being clever mate. ;)

tonguetied likes this.
  5. Joe Doaks

Joe Doaks New Member

Must be fiction. Could be believable. You may have great difficulty developing his/her ability to work with no "inside" sources. Good luck.