1. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

A Dying City Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Reollun, Oct 20, 2017.

Keeping a progress journal is something new for me. I find it keeps the writer motivated to continue with his work, adds a sense of responsibility and (hopefully) gives a nice overview of the writing process.

I am going to start by posting the current word count of the novel I am currently working on.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    zoupskim, John-Wayne and Dracon like this.
  2. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Well, it's more than a year since I have started writing my novel.
    The current working title is 'A Dying City' but I planned it to be the title of the first part of the novel.

I am at 50k words and just finished Chapter Eight.

3. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

A bit about the genre, setting and novel structure. I would classify it as fiction, but not fantasy, even though it has some elements of it. It is mainly fiction with elements of horror and dark fantasy. Well, I doubt it is of great importance to determine the genre. After all, who really cares about the genre of an unpublished novel?

The novel is set in a secondary world, written in the third person and divided between seven major POV's. Each chapter is dedicated to one POV character. Other POV's may appear in the chapters and later on, and I plan on having them overlap, or follow two POV's in a single chapter.

While the novel is set in a medievalesque world, its main focus is to explore the fabric of society through POV experience and depict inter-class relations. The first part almost exclusively follows people from lower classes and depicts their helplessness in a harsh, highly stratified society.
    Later on, the emphasis will be on portraying a contrast between the hard lives of small people and the concerns of their overlords.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  4. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

A short info on chapter word count and state of

Prologue

Part I

1st draft, needs heavy editing and probably rewriting (done)
    2nd draft done

Part II 2748

2nd draft, needs heavy editing and rewriting (done)
    3rd draft

----

Chapter I 3261

the final version needs minor editing.

Chapter II 5025

1st draft needs editing. I had rewritten parts of the chapter but there's still work to be done with this one. It's one of my major POV's but somehow, I'm not very enthusiastic about his overall role in the story.

Chapter III 3660

1st draft, in need of editing

Chapter IV 5946

2nd draft, needs editing

Chapter V 2400

1st draft needs editing I created this one by splitting the 2nd chapter which was overly long. It will require more editing.

Chapter VI 5200

Minor editing completed.

Chapter VII 4285

1st draft needs minor editing Another chapter that I split in half.

Chapter VIII ~2000

1st draft, in need of editing

Chapter IX 4923

1st draft

Chapter X 5300

I'm quite satisfied with this chapter, but some parts still need editing.

Chapter XI 4835

2nd edit.

Chapter XII ~ 3900

I was unable to finish this chapter and don't know what to do with it. It's quite possible I will completely rewrite it later.

Due to length, I've split it into two chapters. Finished re-writing the first part.

Chapter XIII 3500

This is the chapter that was previously 6th, but which I split and changed the POV's order. It's the last appearance for one of my major POV's.

- Only minor editing so far. Some scenes have been edited. 2nd draft.

Chapter XIV 5000

Another chapter that I moved forward. Probably the part that has seen the most editing, but I'm still not satisfied with the result.

Chapter XV 3800

I introduced the newest POV in this chapter. It will be his only chapter in the book.
    1st draft

Chapter XVI ~ 5100

1st draft. Needs editing. Hopefully, I will get back to it as soon as I can.

2nd edit. Will need additional work.

Chapter XVII ~ 4200

2nd draft. Should not be too problematic. The 3rd draft will probably be final.

Chapter XVIII ~ 5400

2nd draft. Most of the chapter has been rewritten and restructured.

Chapter XIX 3700

1st draft. 2nd draft.

Chapter XX ~ 2600

3rd draft. I'm considering to re-write one of the scenes but will decide on this later.

Chapter XXI ~ 5000

1st draft. Partially re-written and edited. 2nd draft

Chapter XXII ~ 5100

1st draft 2nd draft. Some of the scenes have been rewritten.

Chapter XXIII ~ 3000

1st draft. Partly edited some scenes.

Chapter XXIV 4800

1st draft.

Chapter XXV ~ 3400

1st draft (edited the opening two scenes)

---

113.2k words

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Alan Aspie likes this.
  5. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Starting chapter nine, but only made around 200 words so far.

6. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

It started rather clumsily, but I managed 600 words tonight. Things are going to heat up soon, and I'll will be doing a rare combat scene from one of my POV's perspective.

John-Wayne and archer88i like this.
  7. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Slow start again. I hoped to write something like 300 words and ended up with over 1k. Good things happen if you persist. I'm slowly getting closer to the main scene in the chapter, after doing the whole build-up and sometimes painful exposition.

51k overall

8. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

I have a feeling I am moving forward very slowly. It wasn't the original plan, but I can't still manage to squeeze two or three scenes into a chapter of 4 or 4.5k words, maybe a bit more.
    Done 2k words today, which is much more than I usually manage. Expecting to close the chapter tomorrow.

I am at 53.3k

Dracon likes this.
  9. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Chapter nine has been completed. 1.5k words for tonight. The first draft looks fine, but I will be reviewing it soon. The action scene did not turn out the way I imagined it. My goal was to make it effective and impactful. God knows if it's any good.

Dracon likes this.
  10. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Haven't touched anything in almost a week. I was afraid I could not start chapter ten, but it turned out to be a productive writing session tonight. 1.5 words is more than enough.
    The chapter is taking shape nicely, but there's still much work to do. This is one of my favorite POV's so far, and I invested a lot of effort into developing his inner thoughts and motivations. I guess it doesn't hurt me to reveal that he will be one of the major characters and probably vital for the whole story.

A hint: a troubled army commander torn between his strong sense of duty and the need to find happiness

---
    56.3 k words

Lifeline likes this.
  11. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Little more than 600 words. This chapter should be one of the shorter ones. It's the first time I've written more dialogue than exposition. Feels strange.

12. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Chapter ten is progressing quite well so far. I'm close to finishing the second scene. My POV's is in for a big disappointment and I almost feel sorry for him.
    1.1k words is not bad.

I'm at 58.1k words

13. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

After a few days delay, I had finished writing chapter ten (900 words for tonight). It did not seem very good to me as I was writing it, mostly because I had long planned the ending scene and it didn't turn out the way I hoped it would. Well, the good thing is that there's always room for improvement.

Chapter POV's has just forever lost the woman he loves, but I don't know if I conveyed his feelings properly. This is something I plan on working on later, anyway.

---

59.3k words

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  14. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

There are days when nothing works, no matter how hard you try. Today has been such a day for me. I started chapter eleven and barely managed 300 words before I gave up.

15. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

It has been over two months since my last entry. While I did some minor editing, I barely touched anything during that time. I resumed writing chapter eleven tonight and managed some 1,200 words, which is excellent progress, considering the big break that I had.
    I'm at 61,5k words overall.

16. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Great progress today. Almost 2400 words, which is probably my record for a single writing session. What concerns me is that the pace is somewhat slow. I tend to go into too much detail. It's the second chapter of my only female POV (so far) and I wanted to convey to the reader her inner feelings and describe the atmosphere of the place she found herself exiled to. I'm not sure if this chapter is 'forwarding the plot' but I guess I will return to it later when I start editing.

17. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Around 1k words yesterday. Chapter 11 is shaping up just fine.

18. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Starting chapter twelve. So far, I've managed some 1600 words. I'm introducing a new POV, and it will take some time to decide how his story is going to progress.

19. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Last week I've been thinking about how to restructure the novel. I'm close to reaching 70k words, but the story hasn't progressed the way I hoped it would have. This is why I had to rethink the structure and decide how to move the story towards its conclusion. For now, the plan is to end up with around 100k words, though it is realistic that much of the text will be removed during the editing process.

I have split the three of the larger POV chapters which included a combination of several scenes and also changed the POV order according to the new structure. Three POV characters have their story concluded, while the remaining four will all get one more chapter each. The separate POV character storylines, as well as the main plot, should be resolved in the four chapters that I'm to write.

Well, I never thought I would actually get there, but the way things are going right now, I might be able to finish the novel before summer, counting the editing and partial rewrites that I will inevitably have to do before I can conclude the work.

20. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Finished writing the first draft of chapter 15 tonight. 1400 words of uninspired writing. I couldn't resist but thinking it slow, monotonous and possibly boring.

21. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Chapter sixteen is shaping up just fine, for now. I've managed to write some 1k words today. Most importantly, I now have a clear plan on how to proceed with this chapter and the rest of the novel.

22. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

Added 1.8 k words today. I'm at 72.k words overall.

I'm faced with a dilemma whether to split the chapter I'm currently working on, or leave it as it is, with several scenes combined together.

23. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

I have made great progress today. Some 1.6k words written tonight, including a rather short battle scene.

24. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

After I concluded chapter sixteen on Wednesday, I decided to continue following the same storyline, but through the eyes of another POV in the next chapter. Two of my POV's have been brought by a set of unusual circumstances. One of them has a direct influence on the destiny of the other, despite the fact the two haven't met before.

Almost 2.3k words written today.

25. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

About 900 words for today. I have a clear plan how to proceed with this chapter, but my energy to write is not very high at the moment. It's terrible when your head is full of ideas and rich character dialogue, but you lack the stamina to translate it onto the paper (in my case, the screen).

Maybe I'm just not used to writing every single day, as lazy as I'm. Still, only a year or two ago, it would've been inconceivable for me to write 2k words for a single night. I guess I've got no reason for complaining now...

Fickleflame and John-Wayne like this.