Tags:
  1. Stauche Stimpson

Stauche Stimpson Member

Finding a writing coach

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Stauche Stimpson, Jun 14, 2020.

I didn’t get much out of my previous experience with writing coach. It was profoundly disappointing after struggling to explain my story and trying to articulate the multiple issues I felt with the process I was given suggestions where stuff I had already thought off or stuff that was basic. I feel like it would have been something that would’ve helped a writer who was in a much earlier stage of a project instead of being somewhere advanced like I am.

It’s very difficult for me as someone with ADHD to explain the issues I have writing my 230-thousand-word novel, as it’s something I’ve been constantly thinking about it for years and I have so much thoughts pertaining to the issue that it’s hard to collect and organize them all, not only that but I have to explain to them what the whole damn book is about. When I send them, a long email explaining all these things I think and feel I am dismayed when I am meet with responses that I feel don’t process all the information I sent them. Explaining all this stuff on the google meet call eventually became draining as the meeting extended later into the hour. But the most disappointing thing was that she wasn’t able to give much criticism of the segment I sent her, she said it was good and that I conveyed everything clearly which left me without a goal I felt I could pursue. Perhaps it was my fault for sending her a segment that was “too good” of course I didn’t send her my best content but at the same I wanted to send her something that represented all the aspects of the story. After going through this ordeal and not having much value reciprocated, I feel demoralized towards any attempts to try again.

Recently I’ve tried writing three different segments of the story recently and I’ve failed to hit the flow state each time which is deeply frustrating when you know what the flow state feels like. The first two where interludes focusing on the backstories of side characters, the ideas where solid but I just couldn’t execute them well. After the first two I was prompted to take a break after then attempting a segment that focused on the progression of the main story, I had a idea that would let me progress and I was making better progress but again I could not execute it well as I needed to introduce a large amount of characters and would need to have them all interact in an interesting way. And the main character needed to come up a plan or a speech something that would convince a few of them to help her with a mission.

This is the frustration that has prompted me to return to the idea of a writing coach. But in a way it’s more than just that there’s a deep-seated frustration pertaining to the herculean effort of delayed gratification it takes to spend years writing your first book. I have been writing for years and all I have nothing to show for it. While I have sent my writing to other people who have commented on it being good. I am confident I have created a good product but it’s still not on shelves.

Perhaps the issues I face are “all in my head,” sometimes I think that If I had the self-esteem that came with being published or selling copies I could easily banish the restlessness associated with writing and I could face my writing issues if I took the time to break down all my problems and ask my self what is the solution for each respective one, just as I’ve done many times before. Perhaps I would get more value out of hiring a therapist than a writing but I’m unsure.

I type in "writer coach" in goggle search and I’m confronted with a deluge of options while simultaneously being bereft of any ways to distinguish which options would fit me and my story. In short, I need some help.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if you've already written a 230k word novel i'd suggest your money would be better spent on a structural/developmental editor who can both tighten up your language and bring it down to a more reasonable word count

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    jannert and Richach like this.
  3. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

If you've written a 230 word novel, maybe you ought to keep going. That's less than a page. :)

4. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I have been writing my book for 3 years and quite honestly I can't even begin to imagine what a writing coach might have charged to assist me in the process. If you are looking for someone else to get involved in your project, have you thought about joining an actual physical writing group? Have you thought about a Co-Author? There are many options for free but the best is to go it alone. That is something we all have to do and it is an empowering and rewarding journey.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i'm a concise kinda guy :D

Cephus likes this.
  6. Stauche Stimpson

Stauche Stimpson Member

I've contemplated a co writer before but i'm not sure where i would find someone interested, much less any one who would mess well with the sensibilities of the project. i don't know where such a person would fit in when i've already done most of the work

I've tried a writer group before and i didn't really fit in well with them, i suspect i wouldn't fit in with another writer group but perhaps i haven't found the right one.

7. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Is the reason you didn't fit in them or you? You need to be willing to give as well as receive.

8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

What are you expecting out of a writing coach? I've known a lot of writer, none of which have ever hired a writing coach. And I imagine this is something that just who is coaching matters quite a lot. But, still, it's a lot to think you can pay someone who will make you write better. On the other hand, I am a big proponent of writing classes. I guess the instructor serves as a coach on some level. Again, who is teaching can matter quite a bit. I think you have to go into things like this wanting to learn. Even revisiting the basics can be important and if these were the kind of things being suggested to you... well... you paid for that advice. It's up to you what to do with it. The best teachers for writing are actual books (not how-to books). Reading improves writing greatly.

9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

After meeting the requirements for posting to the Workshop (being a member for 14 days and making 20 posts, 2 of which must be critiques on other people's work) you could post a section of it here for critique and see what kind of reaction it gets. That doesn't cost anything.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Is your 230-word novel actually finished? (I can't tell for sure from what you're told us.) If so, I agree with @big soft moose. You need a structural/development editor, not a 'writing coach.' You might be having trouble getting the help you need because you're looking in the wrong category. Seems to me you're needing somebody to look at your finished product, not to analyze you as a writer.

If you're still writing, maybe see if you can access 'storyteller mode.' Don't worry about what you're writing. If it doesn't seem to fit, that can be sorted later. Just tell the story. Pretend you're telling it to somebody you know, who will be hanging on your every word in an absorbed, uncritical way. That really helps get the confidence flowing.

If you are trying to write a scene that isn't working, maybe you should try to write something else. I don't mean another story, but skip ahead, until you get to a scene that does work. It might turn out that the scene you're writing could be handled with a simple transition. You don't need to write every single event and scene that happens to your characters. It was a valuable lesson I learned early on. Just write the important/exciting scenes, and link them with a short transition. If a scene is uninspiring to write ...it probably doesn't need to be there at all.

Don't let your enthusiasm for your story drop. It WILL drop if you start worrying, or if you're trying to get it perfect too soon. I've had some experience with ADHD writers, and one thing that stands out is their enthusiasm ...which comes in short bursts. Harnessing that enthusiasm is important. Don't worry about linking your scenes together until you've completed your story. Then you can clear up plot holes, make transitions, etc.

Look at it this way. You are busy making bricks at the moment. Don't try to put the bricks together until you have accumulated enough of them for a house. Once you have all the bricks stacked in the yard, THEN you build the house! :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Xoic likes this.