1. Lebby

Lebby New Member

A Few New Ideas

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lebby, Dec 21, 2009.

I usually write odd surreal pieces with quirky characters and situations, so judge these ideas with that in mind.

Idea #1
    It is a bleak and souless future. Nerds and accountants reign supreme, and have sucked all the colour and talent out of the world. Techno, computers, and business meetings are considered holy, whilst everything else is destroyed.
    Only a small resistance of artists, writers, charmers, and musicians hold out against the totalitarian government. They are fueled by music, each of their strongholds is equipped with state of the art sound systems, and dance floors.
    I am thinking about the main character starting out on the Nerds side, but eventually falling in love with Rock n Roll and switching sides.
    The Nerds and Accountants do not understand emotion, they do not feel love, and humans are grown in test tubes. The resistance is also quite nutty, at one point The Nerds break into one of their fortresses to find them all to busy dancing and making love on the dance floor, to give a toss about a tiny thing like Nerds with guns who want to kill them.

Idea #2
    There are only two people left on the entire planet (a man and a woman), and they both want to kill each other. They live across the street from each other, in battle scarred mansions, and are always coming up with increasingly odd and convoluted schemes and traps to kill each other. However they also share a Love Hate relationship. They sometimes have sex (however this often ends with one trying to murder the other) and occasionally one will have an advantage over the other, but choose not to kill them, instead making a feeble excuse. Very rough idea this one.

Idea #3
    I've actually come up with a title for this one, '7 Ways to Make a Human Cry/Smile'
    Its seven completely unrelated stories (think 'Love Actually' although less clever, and with each story ending before the next one starts)
    The first six stories have the main character in them experiencing some joy, but it eventually ends in tragedy. For example in one of the stories Im thinking of having the main guy finally get with the girl he wants at a party, and hes happy, but then the girls jelous ex comes along, punches her, she lands the wrong way and dies, thus making the main guy cry.
    Another could be about a soldier from world war 2 or something.
    The seventh story begins with the main guy being sad, due to a death or something, but ultimately finding fullfillment by just appreciating everything in life. Get whatever preachy message you want out of that (Life has a lot of pain, but happiness can be achieved in the end. Enjoy the little things, and you will be content. There is always someone worse off than you. Stop being a ****ing emo, To name a few)

Idea #4
    This is directly related to my current story the Chronicles of Lebby. I am thinking this will be the forth part.
    A hyper advanced, albeit ruthless, dictatorship in the future has finally made time travel available to the common people, and schools have begun conducting 'field trips' back in time. one one of these field trips we find Charlie, a 16 year old who was condemned by his society as a 'Layabout' a 'lout' a 'delinquent' and a 'dreamer' because he understands compassion, and enjoys passionate music. His society deems these things weaknesses. Anyway he is the son of the dictator ruling the futuristic world. On a field trip back to teh mid thirties, he finds out to his astonishment that people back in those times chatted, laughed, sung, just like he did in his time (although everyone else in Charlies time period didnt do any of these things, and regarded Charlie as an idiot for wasting his time laughing and singing.)

He ends up getting distracted, and the school group leaves, rendering Charlie stranded in teh mid thirties. Although initially he atempts to find a way back, he realises that he fits in far better here. He also falls in love. Its very odd though because even though Charlie is considered quite unintelligent in his own time period, in the 1930's he is beyond genius level. This is demonstrated when in one part a mathmatician is struggling to solve an extremely complicated maths problem on a chalk board, that will 'revolutionise transport' and Charlie just walks past, idly takes the chalk, absentmindedly solves the problem , and walks away saying "I learnt that lot in preschool."

He eventually moves to France, with his wife and lives there happily for a few year until... World War 2. Although initially he wants to leave because he knows France is defeated in a few weeks, his wife eventually convinces him to stay, and using his great intellect, develops weapons and strategies that push the Germans back. However, just as victory seems assured, a portal open, and futuristic soldiers wielding laser weaponary wade in and begin to butcher everyone. They say they are looking for Charlie, and Lebby realises that his father has finally sent his army to find him. Then it is a three way pissing match as the losing French and German armies crumble under the might of teh futuristic soldiers. But Charlie refuses to give up.
    Very rough story board, but meh, itll do for now :)
    Let me know what you guys think, im always open to feedback, well positive feedback at least :)

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

They seem ridiculously juvenile.

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I don't think it's possible to judge how effective any of these will be. I mean, if you look at the plot line at a lot of successful novels, including classics, they might seem awfully boring, juvenile, whatever. It's all in the execution. Take the book, The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler. Very quirky, eccentric characters, and great, humorous writing. I think #1 and #2 could work, but it's all about the writing skills...as always.

Good luck.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you have to develop your 'ideas' into actual stories/books before anyone can tell you if they work, or not...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

6. Lebby

Lebby New Member

yeah i suppose. I just wanted to post some possible ideas for the future, and see if anyone liked the sound. I know you cant accurately gauge whether a story will be good or not depending on a rough outline, i just wanted to see if any of these idea were on teh right track. I thought that was the point of this particular forum?
    Thanks for the comments regardless.

7. taylor.kuykendall

taylor.kuykendall New Member

The second suggestion may make for an interesting movie, although it is only a combination of I Am Legend and Mr and Mrs Smith. If I read these descriptions on a dust jacket or the back of a DVD, I'd probably put it back on the shelf pretty quick.

I'd reccommend trying again. I do like the idea of throwing out some plot ideas though. If something is completely unrealistic, i.e last two people on earth, it better be original. These don't seem very creative. The first one seems like it would be incredibly bizarre, but also very campy.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No the point of this forum is to work on strategies fro plot developmen, and occasionally to get some ideas if you have plotted yourself into a corner.

Asking for approval on a plot idea is just insecurity, and nothing can be gained by indulging it. Worse yet, the first time someone posts that the idea is lame or has been done to death, the insecure writer may het discouraged and walk away from what could otherwise have been turned into a fine story,

Nearly any story idea can be turned into a good story, but it comes down to the writing, how well the writer tells the story.

I've often said that a good writer could make a decent story from walking to the mailbox. I'm not a great writer yet, but the other day I decided to take my own challenge, so I wrote a short story on exactly that theme: The Courier.

So don't ask what others think of a raw story idea. Ask yourself what you can do to make it interesting.

9. Lebby

Lebby New Member

good advice mate :) ill be sure to remember it. although i am not insecure, and am not discouraged by negative feedback. If i get negative feedback i change things. Ive always done my own thing, i dont see this changing anytime soon :)

10. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I can tell you this honestly: however good they will be will be how you write them. I have read an entirely believalbe book about individuals disappearing; I have read an entirely believable book about how wizards rule (Harry Potter), and I have read a somewhat belieable book on how vampires exist (Twilight).

It's all in how you write it.