1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

In My Own Little Bubble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Jul 31, 2008.

OMG right, me and a mate went down the town last night thinking the festival was on. Well, it doesnt begin to Friday, so we just walked around town for a few hours when we stumbled across this court area, called the Green Dragon Yard, and there was all of these Goths there, like cape wearing, big boots, scary ass looking Goths.

Well, we also see one of our friends from school there aswell ... we were shocked as this is proper hardcore looking stuff. Well, being nosey as we are, me and my friend went with this lad mate of ours down these alleys and into some club that is there. Not like the sort of club I go to with rave and dance, but a Gothy one, with people swnging their heads around and music where the dudes are just screaming.

And I must say, it was great. I really enjoyed myself, as out of place as I felt in my little purple dress and tousled blonde hair ... I loved it. We are going to go back in a few nights, dressed more, in trend with them, and see what's it's like properlly as we were only there 20 minutes 'cos we had to be home soon.

I was honestly amazed at this little scene going on down my local town at night ... me living in the bubble that I do, I did not realise that we had these sort of clubs or anything ... and I wanna be involved.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hehe. Sounds awesome :) We get the reading festival here, which should be a laugh, even if the lineup isnt so good this year.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Heather,

In the mid 80’s I was one of those creepy little Goth kids. I'll see if I can't scrape up a pitcture for you. Not easy to do when you live in a sunny beach town in Florida. I loved, and still love the scene, in spite of the often pretentious nature of the Goth aficionado. The music… dear lord, the sweet, dark delicious, vampiricly decadent music! How I miss it. We used to have a joke at the Village Underground (the only Goth club for miles.)

How many Goths does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just one. The rest stand around and talk about how they did that last week.

4. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

My friend used to be very gothy. Black and red stripy tights, gloves made of netting, boots that were covered in spikes and weighed about a ton each with 2 inch heels, spikey braclets and an array of black t-shirts. Ironically she is the nicest person I have ever met! I dont mean that goths are nasty people, but when you see an image of a goth, you wouldn't then expect them to be this timid, ultra polite, self concious person would you?!

5. Wreybies

Honestly, back-in-the-day, many of my Goth friends were just as you described. Sometimes I think the whole Goth costume was like a suit of armor designed to keep people at bay. Like a harmless snake wearing the colours of a poisonous snake to ward of predators.

6. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I was a total Goth in my clubbing days (and I actually do have the pictures to prove it!). The people that I met at the one club in my little city that use to cater for Goths, were the loveliest people you could ever hope to meet (sometimes friends would drag me to other clubs and I was seriously affronted by the difference in atmosphere at the more techno/rave style clubs, lol).

I never wore the garb so much as for defensive purposes - though it did serve as a uniform of sorts - making me easily identifiable to other like-minded people. Really, though, I just liked the way it looked. (I still do, but doubt I could carry the look anymore... ;)).

7. Wreybies

The best club I ever went to (not a Goth club, but hey had a great Goth night) was in Berlin called the Linientreu. This was the same club where I first came into contact with industrial music (FRONT 242, god how I loved them!)

Linientreu
    :rolleyes:

8. sfr

sfr New Member

It's amazing how you live your whole life in a place and never notice some things, when you do it's like your discovering another dimension.

9. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Yea, that is exaclty what I mean. I mean, I have seen groups of goths walking around the town before, but I never realsed there was like a thriving comunity just around the corner. My dad was laughing at me about that. :p

Me and my mates are gunna go though tumorroa night possibly, over-do the eyeliner cos I love that, and I'm not sure what to wear 'cos I wanna fit in, nothing like scary looks when I was wearing my purple dress, but it should be a laugh

10. lessa

lessa New Member

The things I learn about life and experiences reading on this forum.
    very interesting but strange.