A Fun Way To Build Characters.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by PinkWode, Dec 14, 2008.

1. PinkWode

PinkWode New Member

Yeah, I did that once or twice, it worked but the characters tended to be copies of the people.

2. Ti Odio E Ti Amo

Ti Odio E Ti Amo New Member

Sims? I hated that game... my people could never stay alive and the creepy music was scary when the Grim Reaper would come walking down the sidewalk.

I prefer to come up with stuff from my own head. Music is a good helper too, though.

3. PinkWode

PinkWode New Member

Did you use sims 1 or 2?

4. AzricanRepublic

AzricanRepublic New Member

I've always simply brainstormed a character that I could connect with somewhat. Though I would always try and associate them with other characters from different stories.

5. PinkWode

PinkWode New Member

I hate planning out, when I was at Primary School, I just wanted to jump straight to the story.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Go with your instincts. At least try it. It may be your most effective means of character creation and development.

I don't believe in developing characters in advance. I begin with a minimal set of characteristics, and then let the story bring out the details. At many points, I'll have decisions to make on how a character will react - that's when nuances get determined, when I think about what each possible decisionsays about the character, and then make the choice.

To plan the character in advance unduly constrains the story flow, at least for me.

7. PinkWode

PinkWode New Member

I have tried planning out but nothing clicks into place, I don't think it's for me.