1. Thank you all for your patience with our technical errors. We think we've fixed it, but please do report anything that's not working right, by posting on the 'minor bugs' thread in Support and Feedback, which can be found here.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

A Glacier's Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dracon, Dec 27, 2016.

A History of Artesia

Let’s give it a try…

I need to finish this book. Sometimes, it feels like the finishing line is inching ever closer, and at other times it feels further away than it has ever been. Slowly, I keep typing, in the knowledge that one day, after having typed enough, I will have finished.

I have been kept fairly busy, and am a slow writer in any case, so I can’t commit to deadlines (and I’ve tried before, failing spectacularly each time). I don’t really feel in any rush to finish this novel anyway. However, I’ve been keeping an eye on this forum for a while now, and I enjoy reading how the projects of others have gradually developed, so I decided to create an account. I can commit to these progress updates, and hopefully they will give me a sense of duty, and help me get into the routine of writing.

I have a fantasy ancient world (consider approx. 0 AD). It is a non-magical or “low” fantasy, simply like a historical fiction with the licence to write my own history and my own geography! The story focuses on two main characters representing the continent’s major powers, and there is plenty of action, and plenty of espionage. I already have a detailed map, and a good idea of the countries and cultures that populate it.

It’s my first serious attempt at something like this, and I know they say you should start small, maybe a few “practice” standalones. But I have been starting to gather thoughts on continuing the series, and the scope is big. Very big. 10 books big. I have an idea for another unconnected parallel novel taking place elsewhere on the continent, at the same time. Dreams for now, but I love this world I’ve created and I’m aware that if I ever wanted to see it finished, I need to get started!!

I’ve done a first draft, and now I’m at the rewriting stage. It’s taken over two years for it to get to this stage, and I’m actually quite content with what I’ve achieved so far. I feel that the story has developed and improved immeasurably from when I first started, and I enjoy writing about each and every character I’ve created. Now I have to get it from the scrambled mess it is into a readable state.

The rough plan is this:

1st Draft – The Story Draft – Get everything down on paper. Weighed in at 199k: 16 chapters split in to three acts.

2nd Draft – The Rewrite – The problem with having written so slowly is that the story has had time to evolve. So as well as rewriting the bad stuff, the entire first act for one of my main characters has since become obsolete and needed rewriting. Much of Act Three will also need rewriting (this is the stage I am at now).

Also, I need to make a timeline, as well as a very detailed synopsis of every single thing that happens, and all the plot details, since some of the conspiracies are difficult to follow trying to write them. Reading a draft will likely help with this.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 // 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 /20 / 21 / 22 / 23 / 24 / 25 / 26 / 27 // 28 / 29 / 30 / 31 / 32 / 33 / 34 / 35 / 36 / 37 / 38 / 39 / 40 // Epilogue

3rd Draft – Further Re-write – Now that the story is mostly pinned down, it’s time to go back to the beginning and see what needs changing. In progress

4th Draft – 3rd draft has major issues, I feel. Made the decision to go down from having two POV characters to just one, to give the story more direction, as the goals of both main characters weren't aligning as well as I hoped. I'm hoping it gives the story more clarity and better focus. I need to write out one of the main characters, which will require major re-working, as well as needing to have some exposition that would otherwise be included in his chapters, and try to find a way to work it into my FMC without it being infodump-y. This should halve the word count to about 130k once I'm through, which will be much more workable.

Act I:- 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
    Act II:- 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19
    Act III:- /20 / 21 / 22 / 23 / 24 / 25 / 26 / 27 / 28 / 29 / Epilogue

The Big Read-through
    After a three-month break, see what state the novel is in (still quite rough unfortunately...) In progress

5th Draft - Yet more re-writing here. Working through alpha-reader notes and suggestions, as well as my own notes from the read-through to (hopefully) make what will be the final major changes to my novel so I can go onto the line-editing.

6th Draft – The Continuity Draft – I plan to go through a systematic checklist to ensure the novel is continuous and follows through a logical sequence of events. Where: All the locations, distances, territorial claims of various lords. Who: Names and historical figures. When: Seasons, lengths of certain events (from timeline). What: Historical events, weather, temperature, the moon, terrain, etc. Why: Are character motivations consistent? Is the plot coherent?

6th, 7th, 8th… Final Draft – Continual editing: spelling, grammar, punctuation. Trimming worthless words, sentences and paragraphs. These will be the final stages, as I feel there’s no point in editing a scene that I know won’t make the final draft anyway. It would be nice to get the word count down, but I feel as though, plot-wise, there isn’t much wasted space, and the plot is more complicated as it developed than when I first started (when the aim was for a 120k novel).

I’m currently in the process of typing up new scenes for Chapter 12 and 13 for my MMC (there are now 18 chapters in total). My FMC I am slightly behind on: about Chapter 9, however her chapters don't need that much work. The next target is to get to finishing Chapter 13 for both characters, as after this stage, there are large overhauls to be made to the final stages of the book.

So here’s to my glacier, ‘A History of Artesia’ – slow, but inevitable (I hope!) progress. I hope everybody continues to move forward along with me, and I look forward to seeing you at the finish line someday.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. Dracon

Approx. 1000 words added. I managed to find a fluid way of transitioning into Act 3 that doesn't feel forced. One of the bad things in the first draft was that the end of Act 2 almost felt like it might be where the story ends for one of my main characters (since it features a large set-piece battle), whereas for the other main character, things are still headed towards the climax. Act 3 is where the plot takes a significant turn leading up to its conclusion, and I've underlined for him that winning the battle by no means signifies that all his problems are solved.

3. Dracon

Been editing Chapter 10 for my FMC and have moved onto Chapter 11. Finished with the additions to Chapter 13 for my MMC but I still worry that the discussions are very 'plot-heavy'. Perhaps I need to think of splitting stuff up more or doing another round of simplification if it's taking so long for characters to discuss stuff! Or more things revealed by actions rather than by words and deductions... Hmmm, that's a thought actually.

That's also a thought that I've had in the past with regards to the ending: that I'm holding my cards too close to my chest. Hence I've come up with a better plan to release more clues and developments with regards to unearthing the conspiracy a little bit earlier while still saving that last twist for the finale. It sure is difficult to know how subtle or obvious I'm making it having written the novel myself, which I suppose is where the eyes of somebody else comes in.

I also had a few more ideas about a sequel that I've written down. It's good to be thinking ahead because it leaves more space for foreshadowing and also when the ink is dry, there is no changing things once you realise you have a better idea.

On the whole, a positive start to the New Year (and I wish you all a happy one!), but it's made me realise that I have much more left to do than I thought I had.

jannert likes this.
  4. Dracon

Past two days have not been good. Come across more plot issues I thought I had ironed out (there have surely been 5/6 adjustments by now) that are sending me round the bend. I've made another plan: short methodical bullet points so I don't confuse myself. But I keep thinking to myself if I'm confusing myself with my own plot, how will the readers ever understand it? It's still not completely sorted yet. I'm just wondering when I'll hit the next set of roadblocks and change everything once again.

5. Dracon

Finished editing Chapter 11 and fattened up Chapter 12 for my FMC, so much so that it is now 10,000 words: twice the desired length. Whoops! looks like I'll have to split it in two. There have been some good additions though, fleshing out the conflicts between the two factions that are fighting in the civil war, and a slight deceleration in the pace before the mini-climax that closes off Act Two.

I've been meaning to work on the pacing for a while, as I always thought the middle of the book was too action-heavy in the second act. It needed slowing down so as not to fatigue readers, since the last portion of the book is very much a cat-and-mouse chase through the streets of the capital.

It also felt good to give the antagonist a bit of a slap down, even if just a small one - he's had that coming a long time! After that point the initiative is very much in his hands, and the characters don't get much chance for retaliation until the climax.

So that brings Act Two to a close! Now on to Act Three: Starting Afresh, which seems quite an apt name when I have so much of Act Three to rewrite after changes to the plot! I'm quite looking forward to it as I know this revision will be a significant improvement, slowly building on the tension to the climax.

I'm editing chapter by chapter, so don't have an idea of the word count at this point, but surely it is going to be closer to 250k now?! With the changes to Act Three, I will be surprised if it doesn't reach that number by the end.

6. Dracon

Chapter 13A edited now. It's so difficult writing characters who so frequently have incorrect or misinformed thinking or opinions, since as the omniscient writer, I can see exactly why their thinking is so flawed. My MMC isn't particularly smart, and my FMC is particularly impetuous, which makes it so hard writing when they make equally foolish decisions.

I've just come up with a better way of delivering Chapter 13G. That means significant rewriting, and will probably end up adding to the word count, but I think it's an improvement and is more consistent with the plot progression. I'll spend this weekend working on implementing those changes.

Overall, things are coming along slowly. It's hard to overlook the sections of poor prose I'm skimming over, having decided that I'm just going to concentrate on getting the plot straight for now. So even after the re-writes, I'll still have a gargantuan task ahead of me.

7. Dracon

It's been a week since I've updated this? Wow, that's longer than I thought.

I have an excuse that I've been busy with exam preparation which hasn't left me with much time for re-writing. I've been going trough Chapter 13G and it feels like I'm wading through treacle. Give me some action, and I can whip something up in an instant, but these more emotional scenes I always find so much more challenging trying to think what to say: getting the right words in the right order, trying not to give too much away, but giving away enough... My MC is blaming herself for not having done something to prevent a major disaster that was the Act 2 Turning Point, and I'm struggling to find some way for my other character to console her. Partly because I, the author, simply can't find a way! And despite it not being her fault, she could have done something, but she didn't (even if blaming herself is still quite harsh). I spent an hour and a half off this morning and added about 200 words, and this one particular scene isn't finished!

So I'm still stuck on Chapter 13G. I don't expect to have made much progress for the next week either due to exam season, but after that, I should have plenty of free time before the new semester starts again and hopefully I can make great inroads into Act Three!

jannert likes this.
  8. Dracon

Got past chapter 13G, though it's another 10k half-chapter, so I need to make some cuts (probably this one scene that isn't so plot-relevant, but I like because it serves as a little break in between the breakneck action of the last few chapters, and a little Easter egg to a book I plan to write sometime in the same world, but different characters and focus).

Made a quick To-Do List for Chapter 14 (and probably some of Chapter 15 too) with bullet points of the scenes I need to write, since all of 14A and most of 14G is going to be binned, so I need a plan to organise what scenes I'm going to write, and in which order.

I also considered I need a snappier opening for Artax, which means further revisions for the opening chapters, ugh. :meh: I had a wisp of an idea when I was half-asleep just before going to bed; I'll have to figure it out after my exams are over and I have nothing left on my plate. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate into what I have. I still have rewrites I've planned for Chapter 3 and 8 still yet to do even after I get to the end of this 2nd iteration. Hoping there won't be too much more before I can finally start editing the thing.

9. Dracon

Typed up ~3000 words that I had handwritten over the past few days for the new Chapter 14G. It seemed to take a long time, although I suppose that I have also been "pseudo-editing" it and adding little snippets as I've been going along. Sometimes if I have been a little rusty, I find that handwriting is a good way of rediscovering that lost spark.

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Keep at it, Dracon. :) I'm "glaciering" along with you. You're rolling like a a happy little river compared to me. :bigoops:

Medazza likes this.
  11. Dracon

Will do Wreybies! :agreed: As long as we're all pointed in the right direction and keep at it, we'll get there, regardless of how long it takes.

Wreybies likes this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Actually your method sounds excellent. Or, at least it's very similar to mine! (How can that be wrong? :))

I especially applaud your use of a timeline. I rely on mine a lot. Because I'm writing a historically-set novel (set in the late 19th century, so there are lots of records about the period), I need to keep track of what was happening not only with my characters, but also what was happening in the outside world at the time as well. Even things like characters' birthdates can get scrambled if you don't keep track of how long pregnancies last (so the person isn't born 3 months after his parents first got together, etc.)

I also hear you, about how the story changes as it evolves. This is tricky. You do need to go back and tweak a lot of the earlier writing, so it dovetails with what you ended up with. Not only changed facts or events, but also tone, character development, etc. Not to mention make the story's theme consistent.

I love your approach. It doesn't sound as if you will be plagued by plot holes or inconsistencies in your finished story. Yes, this method of writing takes a while to produce a polished result, but crafting is what you're doing here. You want to be proud of your work once it's published. Not cringe every time you see it.

Don't be afraid to take some time away from the actual writing, to think about the story. For example, you mention you're having trouble coming up with a way to 'comfort' a character who is feeling guilty about causing a disaster. You say you don't know how you would do that yourself, so how do you create a way for another character to give her this comfort?

The trick is ...wait. Think about it. Let it cook a while. Stop writing that bit. Think about what these characters are like as people. Don't get so focused on the intricacies of plot that the characters just become a means for moving the plot along. Let these 'people' become more involved in actually directing the plot. A person feels a certain way, this makes them do certain things, which causes other things to happen, and causes other characters to react to them and the events in particular ways—which causes other things to happen, etc. That sort of path. No matter how exciting and intricate your plot may be, it won't grab readers if you don't have believable, relatable characters who are caught up in it.

Well done, and good luck. Glaciers are solid and last a long time!

By the way, I see from your profile that you like Simon Scarrow. I just finished reading all (15?) of the Cato and Macro books. I really enjoyed them. They're not perfect, and I think they become formulaic at times, but they certainly kept me reading.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Catrin Lewis and Dracon like this.
  13. Dracon

@jannert Great minds think alike! :D

A timeline is certainly essential for what I'm writing. Not only are certain plot-related events set in motion before page one, but the two main characters are mostly apart, but not that far away from each other, so the days do need to be counted carefully so that one is not accidentally living extra days over the other. Writing a historical fiction must be so much more difficult though. When events are already set in stone for you, it must be much harder for you to adapt your ideas. Even being able to just make everything up to suit me, I still find it difficult! It must feel a bit of a tightrope knowing what can and can't be tweaked, and different readers have different tolerances over how much the author is allowed to mould the established history to their own needs. I didn't want that stress. That was one of the main ideas for my novel: I wanted to write a historical fiction novel, but not have to be tied down to the facts and geography (and, to tell the truth, I didn't want to have to do much research).

On the contrary, there have been quite a few plot holes and inconsistencies. I had the incredibly bad idea of fudging the middle where the plot is heaviest. I had a vague idea, but the story was exciting and still fresh in my head that I never really addressed it much and just carried on, and now I've been paying for that mistake ever since. There was definitely some bad planning, but then again, who knows what my novel would look like now if I had done otherwise? :)

When I get to the end of this set of re-writes, I'll have a skim over what I have, and do another re-cap. After the first draft, I did a 12k re-cap, simply consisting of typing up every single thing that happened, from 15 years before the book takes place, and writing out the entire plot so far, making reference to every scene and chapter. That was incredibly helpful in that I immediately could identify what was wrong, and I solved the biggest problems that had been plaguing me for so long very quickly.

I appreciate what you say about adding depth to the characters. I think I need to properly think of the character profiles and get them down in writing/typing. Of course, I've got a good feeling in my head what they're like, but having it all written down, with every last subtlety, would help me get even more into their heads so that they make the decision that suits their character. And help me find those solutions a lot quicker.

---

I've read all of the Eagle series books. I know what you mean. They are quite formulaic, but some formulas are just too good! :D It keeps me buying them. The friendship and banter between Cato and Macro never gets stale, and that's the main driving force keeping the series alive in my opinion. Some books you just have that soft spot for that you can overlook faults that for any other book you were reading would be fatal. The same could be said for the Redwall series as well, which holds an extra special place in my heart!

jannert likes this.
  14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I love doing historical research, so that's not a problem. In an odd way, fitting fictional events into 'real' events is a lot of fun. For starters, the real events are ones which I don't need to think up. They also provide starting and finishing points. And make me think of alternate solutions to problems.

For example, to discover that vestibules (connecting rail cars) weren't patented until several years after my characters take a train journey made me re-write a scene. And it gave me something to put into the scene that I wouldn't have done, if I'd been able to let my characters simply walk through to the next car, no bother. So reality can strengthen fiction. However, I do have a tin kitten every time I pick up another research book or article, hoping to GOD I haven't got some vital thing wrong that's going to unravel my story. So far, so good....

By the way, I didn't mean you won't create plot holes. We all do. It's just that with your attention to detail, you will catch them. That's what counts. I meant there won't be plot holes in your finished story.

As for the character development, it might be fun to step outside of the character profiles and just 'feel' your characters. Let them surprise you. Human beings aren't engineered, they evolve. I believe the best characters do as well. And an evolving character can add depth to your story that even you don't see, until it's all done. Trying to control every aspect of your character means you might be holding them back. I don't mean let them run amok. But give them a bit of breathing room. Instead of deciding ahead of time that your character is always grumpy in the morning, let another character wake him up and see what happens. It might turn out that he's more bewildered than grumpy. Or even depressed. And this can lead to a stronger character, and a more realistic interaction.

One of my characters developed the trait that he doesn't react well to being teased. Even when he knows the teasing is harmless, it gets his back hair up. I didn't decide this would be a trait. It just evolved out of a couple of situations, and made sense. This kind of thing.

Yeah, Macro and Cato. Great characters, and an excellent relationship. There were two formulaic things that began to irritate me as the series wore on, however. One ...how many times were these two 'rescued' by reinforcements? And how many times did other individuals die saving them in the middle of battles? It was almost like the Star Trek crewmember we didn't know at the start of the episode, who goes down to the planet with the regular crew. We KNOW that guy is doomed!

And it became obvious as the series progressed that neither Macro nor Cato is in any real danger, because Scarrow's not going to kill off one of his duo, is he? Knowing that began to water down the sense of jeopardy that was so evident in the first few books.

However, Scarrow excels at coming up with a plot that puts the two very believably between a rock and a hard place. Every time. And we got to visit most corners of the empire as was. That was excellent. And seeing how politics worked back then doesn't give me much hope for our present situation, I can assure you. Ach well....

15. Dracon

Which reminds me, I've got to do some research on caravans and the Silk Road at some point, as it turns out they're not quite how I imagined them in my head. Since Germania is travelling with a caravan for most of the book, it's a critical thing to get right and might need some changes. Even I cannot escape some research.

I think that evolution comes around from not having set everything in stone. When I first started writing, I had a rough outline of some important events, and the ending. Some of the things you discover along the way. I never intended for the novel to be this long, but there's more to tell than I first thought. Sometimes I wonder whether it was down to poor planning, and at other times, I think that if it hadn't been this way, I would have a completely different book in my hands (and I quite like what I have)!

I find it difficult not falling into the trap "What would I do?" Rather than "What would this character do?" as of course, they are two very different things. Which is what you are saying about letting the characters evolve organically. That is still going to take time as I get to know my characters further. One of the best unplanned things that came to the novel was a very impulsive decision my main character Germania that turns out to be a bit of a blunder. It was only then I realised she's pretty much been like that throughout for the most part.

---

I think of the Eagle books more as episodes now rather an overarching story. 15 books in, it's difficult to keep creating the feeling that someone is going to die. The status quo hasn't changed with them for a while, but I agree those times where it was mixed up were definitely the high points.

For example, I think my favourite book was that one where Cato and a group of other men desert and have to evade both the Romans and the Britons. Or the Blood Crows, where they're placed in command of a cohort that has its own ideas of how things should be done. That was really interesting.

16. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

This is normal. I spent 3-6 months outlining my current story, but I ended up changing 55-60% of it by the end of the first draft. I will say my ending, midpoint, and all is lost moment have stayed the same throughout all versions of my work.

Good luck with your writing goals.

-OJB.

Andy_Megumi likes this.
  17. Dracon

@OJB That is comforting to hear! I think by the end I will also have re-written over half of it also.

I've spent some time in writing the first part of Chapter 14A, adding about 2000 words. I've also been hand-writing part two of Chapter 14G which involves a fun cat-and-mouse chase through a busy city which is probably unnecessarily long, but a load of fun to write. It feels good to write something so easy when I've had only tricky scenes to get through for a while.

I also bought a history book: "The Silk Roads" which is a history of the world's most famous trade route. I figured it would be good background reading since the setting is quite similar to ancient Persia and a healthy chunk of the book has my main characters travelling with a trade caravan. It might also give me some further world building ideas and a better understanding of economics which might become relevant at some point.

18. Dracon

3000 words later, the chase is over. If novels were only action I would have finished this ages ago. Some seriously big plot revelations are coming in the next chapters before the climax, which almost invariably means it's going to take a long time for me to write so I can get it right. :( 2 more chapters until the climax, which is going unchanged, if not adding a little bit of bulk. And a little more resolution required to wrap everything up and allow the reader to digest everything. Probably about another 20,000 or so words, all in all.

zoupskim likes this.
  19. Dracon

Came to a bit of a dilemma. I found that what I had originally intended to write regarding the main characters coming to a revelation about a conspiracy. It was too much to reveal there and then because a) it would be too much for the reader to take in one scene and b) slightly unbelievable that the protagonists would be able to deduce so much information all at once that a conspiracy years in the making is blown apart by just one brainstorm at the dinner table. But then revealing it in chunks would only continue making the book longer, and it is long enough already.

That leaves two options: a) revealing more earlier (which I already have done, but now may need to do even more!) or b) simplifying. I've considered some simplifcation: I think I can hold back part of the main conspiracy by leaving parts unreleased. Some of the conspirators could remain unidentified, and so the book would still be effective as a standalone, while I could unleash those revelations in a sequel with even greater effect.

Andy_Megumi likes this.
  20. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Maybe the 'brainstorm' could come in the form of some new information that allows them to deduce more.

Dracon likes this.
  21. Dracon

@zoupskim Yeah, I've been trying to think of new ways of doing that for a while, but haven't come up with anything satisfactory. It's delicate since it's one of those situations where the evidence has to be irrefutable for the main characters and for the readers, but not hard enough for anybody else in the story to be convinced. A BAM! moment where it's all clear without too much roundabout explanation. I think I need to do some brainstorming myself!

So, Chapter 14G is now completed, Chapter 14A mostly done (apart from the aforementioned gap) and I am more than halfway through Chapter 15G, which has been particularly exciting to write. It's the part that I've been dreading as I don't do romance so well (I sort of dodged it mostly in the first draft) but I know it's incredibly vital to the story, and I've been so concerned with getting it right for a long time and... it turned out not so bad. In fact, I even quite like what I've written. A short plan for Chapter 15A too, but nothing substantial written yet. I'm promising myself that I'm going to finish Chapter 14 first this weekend so that I'm not getting too far ahead of myself.

But oh, I am soooo looking forward to Chapter 16: the point at which the story begins its final crescendo. I'm getting that same feeling of excitement as when I wrote the first draft, though now it feels 10x more magnified!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    zoupskim likes this.
  22. Dracon

Finally come to some sort of conclusion to my problem. Both of my main characters have two halves of a conspiracy and when they meet, they piece everything together. However I had been writing from the more difficult POV who is much less easily convinced and stubborn in his own beliefs and is in denial until the next chapter. Of course, revealing this information from the perspective of a much less believing character is more difficult, and I found the situation easier to explain from the point of my other main character who was much more involved in the action and the fastest to come to a conclusion. So I've written that conversation from her POV, and it's better. I've found an extra piece of evidence I can have one of my MCs find that pushes to that conclusion much faster, so I need to go and write that scene, which i'll hopefully do tonight.

I also wrote some more of Chapter 15, which previously a trial that was very long, very confusing and very dull (which goes to show that I'd completely lost thread of the plot by that point in the first draft!). So I've slashed that and decided to go for a complete rewrite and make it shorter and more intriguing.

zoupskim likes this.
  23. Dracon

Almost finished the trial scene, and completed the earlier scene that gives the characters a little bit more evidence for 1400 + 1100 = 2500 words. Marching on forwards!

24. Dracon

This mid-week has been quite bad in terms of writing, after a couple of demoralising setbacks in terms of my university project that have really set me off kilter. I've only got 3k since on Chapter 15A, over half of which was pilfered from the first draft. Got nothing yesterday through lack of time, and I shouldn't really have tried writing today either; much better instead would have been to get an early night and catch up on some sleep to recharge. My fortitude will self-mend. Tiredness, however, does not. I just didn't want to leave another day without having written something because I fear that would start a pattern of not writing. It was a bad idea, since it resulted in several hours sat in front of the computer with very little to show for it, that which I do have fairly weak.

Tomorrow, I will do better, and get an early night, because this weekend promises to be busy!

25. Dracon

Just about finished Chapter 15A. I've been having problems trying to find a place for one of the supporting characters who has been important for the entire book, but has sort of fell away. Partially because his arc has somewhat closed for the time being and partially because the MC broke him out of prison, so they can hardly show their faces around together much! I haven't really found a good use for him and there isn't much room left for him anyway since these closing chapters are already quite busy. Still thinking about how to resolve that one.

Though I had no access to a laptop all weekend, I managed to hand-write a fair chunk of Chapter 16G, so I will probably spend tonight hastily trying to make up for the time I lost, and hopefully I can have a shot of finishing that chapter afterwards too, because it carries a lot of emotional weight and I am keen to write it.