1. Dusted

Dusted New Member

A good starting point?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Dusted, May 11, 2012.

Hello,

This looks like the right place to post... apologies if it isn't - as im sure you can tell from my post count im a shiny new member.

I've had this idea in my head for a long time now - have built up the setting, the characters and a plotline, but I am having trouble finding a starting point and was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to share some ideas with me?

My original idea was for a fantasy-based war, the usual good versus evil with several factions, but as I found it to be a bit too generic, I have changed the focus to a soap / drama style plot in involving four main characters living in this world of war, so the war is more of a background thing and a possible plot influence.

I plan to start it with a soon-to-be prominent character coming to town and the three locals ingratiating themselves with the newcomer as a result of some event against the newcomers better judgement.. and that is where I get stuck and need your help.

Thanks in advance :)

2. killbill

killbill Member

Stuck, how? Are you saying you don't know where to go from the snippet you gave? or, are you asking if your start is good enough? Either way I would need a lot more information to give specific answers, but generally speaking of a good story beginning, the other day on another thread we were discussing about starting the story with tension/conflict (you really should look up those kind of threads which are plenty in the discussion threads). Anyway, a stranger or a new person in town, don't really liked by some locals, that holds a lot of promise for building up conflicts. So, start writing already and see where it goes.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Write what you have. Consider possible complications. Let the characters grow through their experiences. Rinse and repeat.

What you should NOT do is run to other people to story ideas. Exercise and trust your own imagination. You'll be a better writer for it.

As for a good place to start on the site, read the Important Information material on the site home page, and post a Hello thread in New Member Introductions. :)

4. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    I'm gonna repeat what Cogitate said but slightly differently... the best advise anyone can give someone in your position is WRITE. Brain storming ideas can be helpful but if you've already got a strong premise (and it seems like you do) them you just need top put in the time and sweat. WRITING will make you a better writer. Writing will reveal to you your style and your strengths and weaknesses.

Sold people will live your idea some will tell you they hate it some will flood you with suggestions. In the end you have to write to satisfy your need to write. Getting published, sharing with others, those are secondary to the process.

5. Afion

Afion New Member

Don't start at the begining, start at an intresting bit and work from there :)

6. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

I like this. I will often think through a plot and roll it around in my head for weeks or months. I always start writing when the characters start talking. Sometimes I know where the story is going to end up and sometimes I don't but I find things are more interesting if the characters are real in my mind.

7. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

Start the story inside of a bar and the three locals are sitting around a table sharing a brew and talking about the conflict. This introduces the idea of the war and, depending on the dialog, can introduce the fact that your characters don't really care about the war because it's thousands of miles away and doesn't affect them...but then this stranger staggers that is more intimately connected to the war and his presents either creates interest in the other characters or brings conflict to the city...I agree with AmyHolt, it's always a good idea to start with character's talking.