1. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

A-hole tools; Things you can do in writing but not in real life.

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Arcadeus, Feb 28, 2017.

I'm not as politically correct as a lot of people, but I try not to directly offend others. However, writing is an outlet where all tools should be examined. Rules that make you a good person in life, can create good writing when ignored.

My example: Never judge someone by their look.

Readers will generally judge a character by their look/how they hold themselves. Taking advantage of this can be useful to shock the reader, or even to give them confidence in their ability to judge a character.

Anyone else have any good examples of things that are wrong to do in society/public, but can help in writing?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You mean besides murder?

3. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Maybe a play on "actions speak louder than words"?

Some people might disagree with me, but I think a character's dialogue brings them to life more than paragraphs of prose. I can only follow some guy race against a bomb for so long, but I can read chapters worth of two people talking.

Arcadeus likes this.
  4. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

Good one!

For Romance novels-
    "Good things come in small packages."

5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

In books, people make more scenes than in real life. And you the author have to make them make them, or nothing would happen, because usually we suppress our feelings in politeness and fear.

Well, mostly. The other night at a gathering I got glommed onto by a guy who's infamous for engaging people in interminable debates. You know, the kind who, whatever position you take on an issue, will automatically take the opposite one and tell you all about it with a minimum of logic and a great deal of length. Ordinarily I'd say, "That sounds very interesting. Would you excuse me? I have to go talk to So-and-So." But that night I just couldn't stand it. Maybe I'm running myself too ragged. But he stood sense on its head one too many times and I said, "I can't deal with this. I'm done. Bye." And I turned my back on him and took myself off.

Very rude, and not what you're supposed to do in real life. I don't know what kind of fallout there will be from this bit of drama next time I see this guy. In a novel, there'd be a great deal. But this situation, a lot of people won't blame me and nothing may come of it at all.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Arcadeus likes this.
  6. No Heart

No Heart Member

Anything dealing with violence and general rudeness. I like to write arguments, especially in ways that expose the futility of most conflicts. It is fun to explore the dynamics between the feelings, emotions, and ideas of different characters, especially in conflicts. The beauty about writing is that you can explore and experiment with full licence for pretty much anything you want.

Arcadeus likes this.