1. shanemitchell1

shanemitchell1 New Member

Similar Beginnings

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by shanemitchell1, Mar 5, 2009.

beginning with a noise that comes from the wall that wakes my main character. He is trying to figure out what this noise is, and then he places his ear against the wall and can hear voices; lots of other strange things happen but this is the first and the beginning of the story. My question here is that I am a little stuck because I am not sure how to start the writing process, so if there is another book that starts similar and that I can maybe get an idea by taking a look at it.
    Thanks.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Start with him waking up to the noise?

I'm not sure of any books with a similar begining (though I'm sure they exist), but that seems to be a logical place to start.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Be careful. You may find yourseld plagiarizing if you refer to someone else's opening amd moidel yours after it.

If your opening isn;t taking you anywhare, try a different beginning.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Perhaps study a few novels that have great openings, and break them down into what makes them great?

It seems a lot of great openings introduce the MC and makes you curious. You have the perfect oportunity to accomplish just that.

Joseph heard a sound coming from inside the walls.

Something like that perhaps. Maybe continue to build curiosity from there?

It had woke him, and now he pressed his ear to the wall.

Perhaps continue to try to build as much curiosity and interest as possible.

He couldn't be hearing this. Maybe he hadn't fully woken up yet. He pulled away from the wall, rubbing his face. No, he was awake. And he could still hear it.

I can't think of any stories off hand, so I hope I might have helped.