Tags:
  1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

A line I love.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GuardianWynn, Aug 1, 2017.

Just a silly thread about one line I wrote that I think is fascinating to think about. Like I love the guy for this line yet I feel like I should absolutely should hate him for it. And while it is one line I wouldn't be surprised if a huge discussion emerged from it. And if one line could sum up a character, This is a damn good one for this guy.

"I must apologize. Of all the things I am or have been, liar I find the most unbecoming. Yes, even in the wake of this genocide."

ChickenFreak likes this.
  2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

I don't really get why it's so special. What's the context?

3. GuardianWynn

Just someone saying that being called a mass murderer is somehow less offensive than being a liar lol.

But the specific context is he was talking to someone and the other person accused him of being a liar. So, you know, him saying he'd rather be someone who commits genocide. lol. That is a bit strange don't ya think? Or evil?

4. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Depends why he did it. I don’t subscribe to “thou shalt not kill.” If there’s a good enough reason, it might be less moral not to.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  5. GuardianWynn

The off chance that one of them may somehow might be used against me. Low odd but why risk it would be his question. Plus he had a fairly light schedule for a few months.

6. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

That's actually rather cliched.

7. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Being a genocidal monster can be a pretty good thing. An example: If one had an enormous amount of bedbugs in his/her house, and felt genocidal toward the little fuckers, then by all means, kill em all. But if that same person lied to you and said they didn't have bedbugs, thus causing you to get bedbugs...that'd be a shame. :p

I like the quote btw.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  8. GuardianWynn

Well for one. He is more affably evil. Not faux. Two that is a trope not a cliche. Three, do you disapprove?

The devil is always in the details I suppose. Lol but no this guy isn't being grandose about killing some insects. Though. I am sure that is how he would mentally picture lol. But yeah. Guy is definitely a villian and evil. Lol.

SethLoki likes this.
  9. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

Kay.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

I do. It's very, very cliched and I would not be interested in a book with that sort of dialogue.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  10. GuardianWynn

Okay. I mean no argument there. I know not everyone is gonna love every thing I do.

Though it is a bit harsh to judge the potential of a book by one line.

Also since I am not on tvtropes that much I asked a friend. He argued the character is more a noble demon than affably evil.

11. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

You mean the guy who's okay with genocide? Doesn't really make sense.

12. GuardianWynn

I am not such which part your replying too or what you mean exactly. Could you go into more detail please?

13. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

Noble Demon isn't what I would call someone who values etiquette over thousands or millions of lives.

14. GuardianWynn

I mean that is essentially the embodiment of a noble demon.

I mean noble(has standards such as etiquette) demon(evil like killing thousands or millions of lives.)

How is that not what you picture when you think noble demon? Lol.

15. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

Did you read the trope page?

16. GuardianWynn

Yes. The first line says most of it. A villain with a code of honor.

Which is exactly what he is. That is what the line is all about. He has a code of honor. He finds lying. distasteful.

Killing is fine or to him morally more acceptable than lying.

And to add context of the line. One of his underlings disobayed him which made him seem like a liar. And he is apologizing to the man as he kills his own underling.

How is this not a noble demon to you?

17. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

TVTropes says: "he's just not willing to go the extra mile necessary to be completely evil. He'll topple your castle, but he'll do it right after everyone has cleared out first. He'll sacrifice whole armies to achieve his goal but he'll also sacrifice himself if he must. He'll conquer your village but he won't cause more destruction than necessary. He wants to kill The Hero but he won't stab an enemy In the Back."

Basically, a villain with noble impulses. Which your example does not even approach.

18. GuardianWynn

Must call the resident trope master. @Simpson17866

Though. I have hardly given an example of him. One line isn't exactly an example though I have sprinkled some little tid bits.

Though it wasn't that I even tried to argue he was a noble demon. I mainly mentioned it because my friend thought affably evil was a bit different. Lol. That friends loves tvtropes.

I still don't see though by your own quote why he doesn't sound like he has noble impulsives. Your own quote even says he'd let armies die for his goal. Another trait of this villian lol.

And in this situation he is talking to the hero face to face and he is more upset about the fact his underling made him seem like a liar because he has a moral code.

19. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

That's not a line I would be proud of, especially enough to post it and expect some sort of recognition. You must be young and have no idea about the reality and devastating effects of genocide. And maybe that means you shouldn't be writing about it. Write whatever you want. Good luck publishing. Your quote isn't good enough to carry a book and if that's the best you've got... Well, most of us know how this industry works.

123456789 likes this.
  20. GuardianWynn

Lol. I wasn't saying that line is a crown worthy.

Or able to hold a book. Or even was planned to be in a book. It was in a short story I wrote for fun.

And I may have never felt the impact of genoside personally or anything like that but it is because of how powerful of a concept that it is, that I find this line interesting. Or rather the character.

Because the point is that yes. He is burning a planet to the ground for a reason so trivial, it would sound like a plot hole. Yet that is him. And while doing that. While babies and mother's and father's alike burn under his command or die under his boot(he is rather hands on)

For him to be offended and insulted not at his actions but at the mere accusation of being a liar.

I find that facinating. How dark and evil do you have to be for that?

And of course. This isn't your protagonist. So. I am really sure if I see how this doesn't work.

But then again. It was just meant to be a little fun thread. Lol. Didn't realize it was gonna be one that required such a defense.

Though I am happy to defend my ideas! Or discuss them. That is how they improve. Either by epifany or through being shown errors. :)

21. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I once started a short "I'm usually opposed to genocide, on principle. Occasionally there are exceptions.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This thread has a pH level of like 0.5

I need it closer to a 5 or a 6

This isn't The Quad and this isn't The RAC. We don't need anyone to fill the Designated Asshole slot. We're not currently taking applications for that position.

Thank you.

GuardianWynn and Trish like this.