1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

A Magical Scottish Blurb

Discussion in 'Blurb Critique' started by Bakkerbaard, Mar 28, 2023.

And one that probably needs some work. I'll run it by you in a minute, let me just whip up some quick context.
    The story is humorous, and about 32k words long. It's supposed to be a freebie, to get my name into people's eyeholes.
    It's also based on historical events during the witch panic in Scotland. But only lightly. Either way, it's a story that some people might already have heard of, though chances of that seem low.
    It's now called A Magical Scottish Love Story.

And now, let's blurb:
    History tells us that John Fian is a bad man. A schoolteacher who was the head of a witch’s coven, and a man who made a deal with the Devil. And then he didn’t. But he did again. Maybe. History can’t seem to make up its mind, and if history can’t, then how are we supposed to?
    Submitted now, for your consideration, is the story as it’s not been told before. The story of a schoolteacher, a farmer’s daughter, and a shaggy cow, against the bleak backdrop of the Scottish witch panic. This is the story of what really happened. Maybe.

(101)

2. Casper

Casper Banned Contest Winner 2023

For starters - A Magical Scottish Love Story - is too literal and long-winded, and comes across as a strapline.
    I've never heard of a 'witch panic' - maybe it's an Americanism, but in Britain we call it a witch hunt - leading to a witch trial.
    There wasn't a specific Scottish witch hunt to tie down the historical setting - executions of the accused continued for over a century in Scotland.
    If you have a particular event in mind, put it in the blurb.

For me, the blurb needs editing - cut the wistful speculation Maybe. History can’t seem to make up its mind, and if history can’t, then how are we supposed to?
    This is the story of what really happened. Maybe. -
    Perhaps, This is the tale of of what really might have happened.

Good luck with the novel.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    Bakkerbaard likes this.
  3. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

It defenitely does.
    Feckin blurbs are harder than the book itself.

4. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

John Fian was a bad man. Schoolteacher and High Priest of a witches' coven, he made a deal with the Devil. But is there more to the story? Can history help us make up our minds?

Here's the story as it has never been told before, the mysterious tale of John Fian and a farmer's daughter, and a shaggy cow, set against the bleak backdrop of a Scottish witch hunt. Come, find out what really happened.

Bakkerbaard likes this.