1. Captilise rank and titles?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Deleted member 16686, Mar 29, 2010.

I have some military ranks used in my dialogue such as:

“What did you see, Private?” he asked.
    “Couldn’t tell, sir. It wasn’t human, I can say that much,” Private Eun said.
    “Right away, sir,” confirmed the private.

However, I'm not entirely sure as to whether I always capitalise the rank or only when used with a name. For example:

"What did you see, private?" he asked.
    "Couldn't tell, sir, I can say that much," Private Eun said.
    "Right away, sir," confirmed the private.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Your first set of examples looks right to me. I think you need to capitalize the rank/title unless it's preceded by the word "the".

3. Thanks. It seems to be when the rank is used as the identifier or before their name.

"Get over here, Private?"
    "Yes," said the private.
    I believe Private Randall was in charge, sir.

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Just a note addressed particularly to British/International English speakers on the forum. My father is a retired British Army officer, and when writing out reports he was taught at Sandhurst to capitalise ranks ONLY when the name was appended.
    Therefore, it would always be:
    'Come over here, private.' Not: 'Come over here, Private.'
    But:
    'Come over here, Private Ryan.'

It's not common to address people using a generic term in the British Army, though. We'd say: 'Come over here (please)' to a 'soldier' (usually referred to as a 'gunner' 'sapper', whatever) or 'Please come over here, sir.' to an officer.

Note to anyone wondering about other 'titles' and honorifics--the Wikipedia examples are incorrect in saying that terms of nobility are capitalised. They aren't, unless you are giving the specific title, like a name, as in the military examples I give above.
    So, it's not:
    'Here you are, Your Lordship.' It must be: 'Here you are, your lordship.'
    But:
    'Here you are, Lord Cothering-Hythe' or 'Please invite His Royal Highness the Prince of Mecks-Foathing-Badensmeck.'

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Your second example is the correct one. When ranks are given in the context of a complete rank and name then they are capitalized just like any other title.

He is Corporal Brian Smith
    She is Colonel Leena Jones

But when the words are used away from their forms as complete titles, then no.

The corporal was in the office listening to a briefing given by the colonel.

6. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Yikes, I should've researched before responding to the OP! Thanks for the clarification, Wreybies! :)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

mad and wrey are right...