1. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

Needing a plot direction - help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by zerobytes, Nov 29, 2006.

So I starting thinking up this story in 95 and I'm finally writing it down. Unfortunately, I think I've run into a brick wall and I'm not sure where to go.

The story is about a kid who falls asleep in a library one night and then wakes up to discover that the library is closed, the lights are out and he's not alone. Anyway, he meets this charismatic cat character that can talk and gives him the ability to experience the adventures from his favorite books - literally. He can actually enter the book - I know there's several stories like this out there but mine will be unique DANGIT!!

Here's where I hit the snag - originally the cat was going to be a demon that slowly sucks the kid's soul until the kid realizes he is being weakened and then defeats the demon - kind of like Labrynth crossed with The Never Ending Story. I've gotten to the point where the cat is explaining how to enter the books and now I'm not sure where to take it - should I try to stick with the original idea?? Other suggestions would be VERY welcome,

zb

2. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I like the thought of the cat being a mentor rather than a demon..(just my opinion keep in mind). Perhaps throw in a seperate antagonist? Maybe a character from one of those stories that somehow comes to life too with less than good intentions? Maybe its a temporary exploit that allows this "thing" out for a time and he is trying to find a way to come out for good?

Just some ideas to toss at you...hope it helps..ill try to think of some more.

3. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I think that you should try it the original way first, because I like the idea that all mentors can't be trusted implicitly. If you don't like it, or if it doesn't work, you can always revise it in the next draft.

4. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

I hadn't considered making the cat a positive force, nor had I thought about introducing a third main character in the mix! Thanks for the ideas they've helped mucho. I'm not sure which one I'll take, cuz I tend to agree with Spherical - but I think some kind of positive guiding force should be introduced. I'm excited to get back to working on it and see where it goes though.

Here's another question that I've run in to that I need some help with. The main character enters books right? So should I have him entering real books (would there be plagiarism issues) or should I create books for him to enter??

zb

5. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

lmao Right now I'm thinking of the scene in Mary Poppins where the Dick Van Dyke character takes the others on a journey through his paintings by literally jumping in them :D Good stuff, I like it!

As for the plagiarism angle, imo, I'd stick to doing original short stories. That way the events of the stories that the main character enters won't be called into question in terms of plagirairsm. You can't copyright an idea but you can with the events of the stories that you would choose to use.

If you keep the examples of the stories that your characters are going to experience short you won't bog yourself down with creativity limits (writers block when it comes to ideas) and that way you'll keep the journey through all "punchy" and to the point. This is so readers won't stray away from the the actual story you are trying to write. This would happen if, say, you were to use the stories of Alice in Wonderland, or Goldilocks (or whatever). Your main need is to keep the focus on yours and not another that you're using.

But if you do decide to go with ones already written then there really shouldn't be a problem if the stories you use are in the public domain and that the copyright has been expired.

6. Draven

Draven New Member

I like this idea, and I fully intend to plagarize it.....

Just joking. :D It sounds good and I think you should go with your original idea. I'd definetely read it.