1. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

A month long retreat

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by pinelopikappa, Jul 26, 2013.

I am leaving today for about a month to an island where I have no internet access, and many hours to spend.

So I thought I might do something with all that time.

I got 12 excercises from a writing workshop book, and decided to do them all in the course of that month. I write it here, so that I may have a little bit of shame if I don't do them. I need to establish a routine in writing, and it's a good time to do it.

See you on the other end of 30 days, and hopefully with good news. :rolleyes:

2. Juju Bagdasarian

Juju Bagdasarian Member

bb , have fun on your trip :)

pinelopikappa likes this.
  3. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Thanks! You too.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

lucky you!... which island?... i've been to a few... my favorite is mykonos...

5. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

No, not Mykonos, but an island 1 hour from the port of Piraeus, in the Saronic gulf. It's not bad.

Anyway, I'm back.

I am a few kilos lighter, a lot more tanned, and I have had endless hours in the water, swimming. I call that a good summer. All for our normal cost of living, since we stayed with my husband's family. Eat my dust, stupid financial crisis.

Add to this the fact that, although I didn't do any of the excercises I had planned, I did something better. Me and my sister in law wrote a children's book together. Now it's in the editing process, but I am very happy. Once it's done, we'll start sending it off to editors and see what happens...

So:

1) I overcame my reluctance to say that I write. It's a chidren's book, so it's an easy thing to admit.

2) I realised how it is possible to get into a writing mode, just because I want to. I had to produce a new story, so I simply sat down and wrote. No fuss, no overanalyzing, nothing.

3) I saw what a wonderful thing a deadline and a daily routine can be.

4) I saw what a good thing the lack of internet can be.

5) I experienced this: me reading my stories, and others actually listening and enjoying. It's a great feeling.

jazzabel likes this.
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Sigh... oh how I wish I could take a month off. I appreciate you sharing. :)

pinelopikappa and 123456789 like this.
  7. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Actually my husband was able to do that by never taking a day off all year long. I don't know if that's generally possible, but it is at his job. I am unemployed, so writing is keeping me sane. I wish I could seriously consider it as a career option.

8. Ray West

Ray West New Member

That sounds pretty fantastic! Out of curiosity, what were some of the writing exercises you had planned and then neglected?

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Taking a break from the internet is fantastic. I always do that when I'm on holiday, and sometimes when I'm not. The only time I DON'T enjoy it, is if it's outwith my control ...broadband or computer breaks down, and I've got online things pending. Otherwise, great. I own a StupidPhone which I keep turned off unless I HAVE to contact somebody, as well.

The internet is a fantastic resource, but I will not allow it to run my life.

So great that your long break resulted in a book! Good luck getting it polished and published.

10. Lisztomania

Lisztomania New Member

Wow, that sounds awesome. Good luck with your routine building! Have fun, too!

11. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Thanks everyone :)

As for the exercises:
    the first 6 ones from a book called Fiction Writer's workshop. I like that book, although I have yet to really read it and do the exrcises.

Meanwhile, there is a short story competition in Greece, that has the 30th of September as a deadline. It has a money award, and you get published too, so it's quite a big deal. The theme is free. I think I'll try it, but I haven't found a story yet.
    I don't expect to win really, but I'd love the experience. I am trying to get rid of the "writing as a secret hobby" mood, and get into the more professional and ambitious way of thinking.

12. Ray West

Ray West New Member

Well definitely good luck with the short story competition!

13. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Some news on the children's story. It's edited and typed and everything. However, looking for the new tax laws imposed on us, I just made the sad realization: I could never even try to be a professional writer. You have to pay taxes (even if you don't sell one copy), that will break even best selling authors much less unknown ones. You are treated like a rich buisnessman. The only think I can do is to send things to contests for the fun of it. Or send the damn thing to an editor, just to see what happens, and back out if by any wild chance it's accepted.

It's not as if I was ever really going to make it, but to have absolutely no chance in hell, it hurts...

I never entered that competition. But right now I feel so pissed off, I swear I will sit down and be a writer, even if I never get payed for it. :mad::mad::mad: (mumbling horrible things in greek)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  14. Juju Bagdasarian

Juju Bagdasarian Member

Pinnelopi , you give up to easily :) , being both from the same country i can relate to what you're going through better than anyone, but if you really want to get published you will find a way to do it...No excuses aloud ;)

15. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

I wish you are right! I wish the best to you too :)

16. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

:)

Juju Bagdasarian likes this.