Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teele

Teele New Member

Crystan: Dawn of War

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Teele, Sep 4, 2008.

Crystan
    Dawn of War
    Introduction
    Slowly, the warmth of summer dies and the chill winds of autumn sweep the continent of Eldora. It is the first day of the month of Imen of the year 1579 of the First Age; a year that will be remembered for centuries to come. The governments of the nations have grown stagnant, and are reduced to petty bickering. Nowhere are these arguments fiercer than among the members of the Coalition of Nations, established more than 400 years before. Border disputes, trade embargoes and restrictions, and minor civil cases have become common. As the order that the Coalition was supposed to provide turns to chaos, many rise to take advantage of the situation with their crimes.
    Armies have been raised, tensions are high, and it will take only one small spark to set the fires of war blazing across Crystan.
    In the midst of this world, a group of adventurers must choose their own fates; to quench the flames of war, or fuel them. Each member of this motley group has received a summons to an obscure, ancient monolith in the land of Aelinaust by a mysterious man who offers them a path and a future.

The Game
    You are this group of adventurers. Each of you has received a letter from a man who identifies himself only as Hawk. He gives the location of a meeting place, and a time. For whatever reasons, each of you has decided to answer this summons and discover the nature of Hawk’s request.
    I (Teele) shall act as GM, and Hawk shall be my primary character. Others may come and go as the situation warrants. I will describe scenarios and events as needed and as the story progresses. All of my posts will be in bold Book Antiqua font, so they’re easily picked out. I will do my best to be fairly active in the game; I don’t want to slow down the creative juices.
    If any player is inactive for an inordinate length of time, I will attempt to contact him/her via PM. If there is no response, that player’s character will be left behind (I won’t kill him/her off, though; if you want back in, PM me and let me know). I’m not sure as yet exactly how long this RP will run. If at any time you want out, PM me, and we can discuss a suitable exit for your character. As for taking on new players in-game, I will leave that open as a possibility, but for simplicity, I’ll keep the entrances closed after the initial given join-up time. PM me if you’d like an exception.
    Primarily, the focus in this game will be relationships between player characters. While you can expect to see a lot of classic sword-swinging fantasy action, I will attempt to focus more on the conflicts between the characters of different races and agendas, how these conflicts are resolved, and how the individuals grow. Your characters should have more to them than a sword and a set of plate mail (or, if that is all there is to them, there should be some real, significant reason why). Romantic relationships between PCs are encouraged, as are deep friendships, rivalries, and other such interpersonal dynamics.

Character Template
    Note: Information about the world of Crystan, and my races, is available on my blog. I DO NOT expect you to have read all of my notes on all of my races on Crystan. Read through this overview, and if you see something you like, skim through the lengthier description of that race. In particular, all you’ll likely need to know is covered in the sections entitled Appearance, Personality, and Special Abilities. If any other sections catch your eye, by all means take a look. My objective here is to try and NOT intimidate you with loads and loads of information to sift through.
    Another Note: You can play any of the races I describe and list below. However, I would recommend against choosing a Cimill or a Krilind for your character. These races are very intellectually simple, and lack much capacity for the feelings and thoughts that dynamic characters entail. Naturally, there would be exceptions to this rule, and if you’d like to play a Cimill or Krilind to make things interesting, go ahead. Just a personal preference.
    Yet Another Note: If you want to play a Crystal-using character, it might be a good idea to read through my entry about the Crystals. It’ll explain a little of how they work.
    Getting Tired of Notes: I won’t explicitly rule it, but I’d like to keep a fairly decent balance of males and females in the game, just so everyone has a shot at a potential partner. ;)
    Just One More Note: If, in the process of reviewing my material, you spot an ambiguity, inconsistency, or curiosity, please PM me, and I’ll explain/correct it.

Name:
    Race (Overview): Aelin, Alarin, Alamin, Cimill, Drenning, Erissi, Iander, Krilind, Lennira, Mahri, Sardite, Shale, Solan.
    Appearance: Eye, skin and hair color, hair style, height and weight, clothing; keep generally within the confines of the race’s description, but if you want to add a unique feature for your character, go for it.
    Weaponry: The weapons and armor that your character currently carries. Anything fantasy-generic will be allowed. For those with dedicated Crystal-using characters, you may have up to four Crystals. A non-dedicated Crystal-user (one who has learned some of the art, but is dedicated also to another school of fighting), may have two. Each Crystal will grant a different power, but remember; the Crystals you choose must be consistent, and the backlash (mental and physical exhaustion) that your character receives from using the Crystal is proportionate to its power. During the course of the game, you’ll have the opportunity to acquire more (and more powerful) Crystals. However, these are not an excuse for god-moding. Keep it fair. If you need help deciding on Crystals, keep in mind that the power a Crystal can offer is equivalent to a D&D spell.
    Occupation: I won’t define a list of available classes here. Generally, stick to fantasy-generic types of things. If your character has studied Crystal Lore, say so here. Such a one is called a Crystal-user or Crystalmancer.
    Background: Description of your character’s past leading up to these events; birthplace, family, upbringing, education, etc. Be as detailed as you like!
    Personality: Description of your character’s drives, motivations, and perspectives, as well as his/her reason for answering the summons. Be as detailed as you like!

The Rules

- Posts should contribute to the story; your first post should be your character.
    - No controlling someone else’s character unless permission is given.
    - No god-moding: invincibility, instantaneous killing of all enemies with no negative effects, etc.
    - No killing other player characters (or major GM characters; if you get the urge to do this, PM me and I might let you have some fun ;))
    - If you have a question, ask me.
    - No flaming, insulting, or general nastiness intended to put down someone else; this is a general forum rule.
    - Feel free to make liberal use of the discussion thread.
    - No explicit sexual content: I will encourage and welcome romantic relationships between PCs, but we’re not here to write erotica, people. Keep it decent.

Hawk
    Race: Lennira.
    Appearance: Hawk wears a tattered brown robe, of the Solan style, with the hood usually up. His face is weathered and scarred, but handsome. He has shaggy black hair that hangs around his face.
    Weaponry: Hawk carries a decorated longsword of Farlanian (Lennira) design, and he carries a carved longbow and a quiver of arrows.
    Background: This you will find out as the game progresses.
    [FONT=&quot]Personality: [FONT=&quot]This you will find out as the game progresses. ;)
    [/FONT][/FONT]

1 person likes this.
  2. Raven

Raven Banned

First In Queue.

3. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Name: Shar (AKA Sharp)
    Race (Overview): Lennira
    Appearance: Hazel eyes, that seem to smile most of the time, lightly tanned skin, and dark brown hair cut short and left messy. He also has several scars on his body including on on his throat, it appears to be a failed attempt to kill him, a short horizontal cut. Rugged and masciline looking but not in he pretty boy sense. Wears a pair of plain brown cloth pants and a matching long sleeve shirt with his studded leather tunic over top. Two axs at his side and two at the small of his back.
    Weaponry: Four plain black steel hand axs, and black studded leather tunic.
    Background: His birth place is unknown but he was raised in a orphanage but never adopted. As soon as he was old enough to venture out on his own he did. Picking up jobs were he could and skills were he had to. He has a tendency to get into trouble by budding into situations that he should stay out of and for that he has gotten into several close calls, learning to be fast, and agile to escape in trouble he causes. Once such event led to the scar on his throat, though he tends not to discuss the details of it.
    Personality: He is a kind, light hearted young man with a passion for adventure and excitment that has led him to follow the summons. He has a strong sense of right and wrong and if he sees a wrong can not help but go and attempt to correct it though most often than not it only gets him in trouble. He is witty, and flirtacious with most women and freindly and kind to most men. Though if you make your dislike of him aparent he will do the same.

1 person likes this.
  4. Raven

Raven Banned

This game can only take profiles until another game finishes this one will be inactive. But you may create profile characters.

~Raven.
    Senior Super Moderator.

5. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

Name: Elryn Sindaryth
    Race: Solan
    Appearance: Red eyes, dark blue skin, bald but he usually covers his head with the hood of his solanic robe. He is 6 "5 and weighs 190.
    Weaponry: He has a nightvision crystal, a fireball crystal, magic needle crystal and a lore crystal.
    Backround: Elryn was the youngest Master at the library in Sorula but was kicked out because of his blasphemous, sometimes dangerous teachings. Ever since, he has taught groups almost like a cult following until recently where he seemed to disappear of the face of the planet. Until he got the letter.
    Personality: Elryn has a bleak outlook on life and is outwardly angry sometimes to the point of being offensive. This is rather rare for a Solan.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Name: Chaos

Race: Aelin

Appearance: Chaos has long, beautiful silver hair that goes down to the middle of his back. He stands six feet tall and has a very slender build. His eyes are a bright crimson, with a cat like pupil. He wears a dark purple silk robe that reaches to his ankles. He has a silver necklace with his two cristals attached to it. A lot of people, particularely people of other races, confuse him for being a girl.

Weaponry: Two long silver swords that he carries on his each side of his hip. His crystals have the power of self heal, and blinding light.

Background: Chaos is the youngest child of a very rich and powerful Aelin lord. He rarely has had to deal with others and spends most of his days inside of a library looking through old books, or being taught by his Solan tutor. His fighting skills are self taught, by reading books on warriors from other races. He hates the current trade agreements and wants to create a new world order, one that would include some of the warrior races that other Aelins look down on. Though most other members of his race rarely listen to what he has to say about government and diplomacy, due to his young age. They simply say that he is too naive to understand politics.

Personality: Like other Aelins, he naturally loves to learn new things. While he does have a bit of an ego, he is usually pretty friendly towards new people. He hates it when people look down on him due to his age (This happens often in his home city due to the fact that he's still considered a child by other Aelins). His naturally quite and serene personality, hides the ambition that burns within him.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Name: Tooth Gold-Fang.

Race:Iander

Appearance: He has a golden fang, green eyes with a yellow rim that looks like some strange green/yellow sunburst and the slits of his eyes seem almost silver like. His scales are smooth and with a deep green scale skin tone and tan, red and black diamond pattern across his back and red bands around his writs and ankles making it look like he as straps there. His arms and lets have slight speckled scale patters of tan, red and black making him look a bit peppered. With his front scales being a light almost lavender color.

Weaponry: he wears leather armor that is backed and reinforced with bone plates and small chain mail sleeves that stop just above his forearms. His pants are black leather with high side hard leather hiking boots that are designed to cover the ball and pads of his feet but leave his toes open to be used. Thigh and knee armor also adorn his legs. He wears bracers that depict his loyalty to his god and leaders, a tabard of his military position, and a helm with a plume that shows the icon of his direct leader. He also wears a thick leather belt that has several pouches on it to carry his needs as well as a backpack for his other supplies. He also has a sword in it's scabbard attached to his belt, several throwing knives, a utility dagger, small hatchet, small hand saw, as well as other military issue supplies for him to survive 'out in the field'.

His two crystals where gifts from his father and mother when he came of age, designed to help his profession. One is in the center of his chest that allows him resistance to extreme heat and cold (being able to put his hands directly into a forge or have hot metal hit his skin and not burn him) and the other is in the front of his neck and allows him to breath in almost any environment (to make breathing the fumed filled air of a forge easier) including under water.

Occupation: Smith, multi disciplined: Ferrier, Black Smith, Weapon Smith and Armorer. Recently joined the Military.

Background: Tooth was born to the 'middle' class of his people and like his father before him was a smith most of his life until he was drafted into the military, Like everyone else in his society he had to serve his time. He had just completed the equal among his people of "Boot Camp"
    Personality: Quiet and reserved. Like all his people.

Just making this to let you know I am going to be involved in this RPG and I must say I am impressed with the effort you have put into it. :)

8. Mateius

Mateius Member

Name: Ostran Kalenesar
    Race (Overview): Mahri
    Appearance: Ostran is covered in dark brown fur, his eyes are like emeralds, and his claws are as sharp as daggers. He stands at a height of 6"2 and weighs approximately 18 stone. He wears a black leather jacket and light trousers held up a belt. The buckle is the Kalenesar family crest, a model of the moon with three swords through it.
    Weaponry: A double edged sword that can slide through the hilt at the wielders will and become a two-handed sword. The hilt can then be slotted into the scabbard to create a spear.
    Background: Ostran is the fifth son out of nine, of a long line of Kalenesars. He was brought up roaming the plains of his beloved homeland. This gave him a love for nature and for everything living. He always felt more at peace with the wild and with animals then he did with other Mahri. This made him unsocialable, he was kept out of all the large groups. But he enjoyed this. He was free, and thats all that mattered. Ostran rarely ever talked, and even when he did it was only when he really needed to, like when he had to settle disputes between his younger siblings (Falij and Hatac were always fighting).
    Due to his desire to remain outside, he decided to become a hunter so that he could do some good for his people. Although at first, he despised taking a creatures life, he came to embrace their deaths, and made sure that they had the proper respect before their flesh was harvested.
    He was able to refine his combat skills, and soon he was wanted by all Mahri traders. So far Ostran had lived a relatively normal life, until he was contacted by a mysterious man, know only...as Hawk...
    Personality: Ostran is a very distant creature. He is unused to talking and has had very little contact with any species other than his own. This desire to remain quiet does not mean that he is in any way unintelligent. Ostran wants to remain independent and has learned to never rely on others. He is worried that people may be able to look into his soul, or think of him as something less than he is. Ostran would rather be hated than dishonoured. He answers the summons, due to his interest in satisfying his curiosity. If anything is in need of doing, and if it helps in sustaining his race, then he will do it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Crescentvn

Crescentvn New Member

Name: Arven Dol (Thanks Teele, I really like this word)

Race: Drenning

Appearance: Arven Dol has dark blue eyes, with dark brown hair, slightly spiky which he always leaves a little messy. He has a red headband on forehead that you don't usually see from a Drenning. But like most of Drenning, he's not very tall, only about 4"5 feet, slender body, one can say he's actually pretty thin. He wears a pale blue short sleeve silk shirt, and a brown vest outside, a knitted scarf from his mother on his neck. A black pants that seems a little big for him and a pair of leather boots. He always carry a small cloth pouch that he keeps many kinds of seeds and his Crystal inside. And another bag for his garden clothes.

Weaponry: A set of kitchen knife (only 3), and his dagger. Elegant and calm - Water from Heaven, this is a make-up name that he calls his Crystal, he received it from his adoptive father. He uses this Crystal to water the garden

Background: No one knows about true parents of Arven Dol. An old couple of husband and wife found him on the first of Arven Dol outside their house, thus this name was given to him. He was once working in Solan City as gardener, but only for one year. After his parents passed away, he returned back to this land.

Personality: Optimistic and cheerful, but he's not really a talkative person. Even though being a Drenning, Arven Dol loves to traveling. He has a special love to nature, he hates those who don't respect it. Whenever he sees a wasteland, he thinks it is his duty to cover it with green. This is some sort of his dream, to make the world a more beautiful place.

1 person likes this.
  10. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Name: Kee Rillin

Race Mahri

Appearance: Kee has two different coloured eyes one violet and one sky blue. Her fur is smoke grey her ears tipped with black she also has black hair which she wears in a tied in a side braid with a white flower often worn in it. She is five nine in height maker her a shorter being within her culture. But still holds the elegance and grace of her kind. Kee weighs 60 kgs. She wears a light leather cloth about her waist tied with a red cloth sash, a fine leather is fastened about her chest with heavy red threads she also wears a cloak made of white fur.

Weaponry: Light bow with small quiver allowing Kee free movement whilst climbing a jagged dagger with a emerald decorated hilt, (hilt made of silver.) Kee has two crystals, She calls them simply despair (causes overwhelming emotions of despair and hopelessness) and nature (allows growth and control of fauna for limited amounts of time. Highly draining).

Occupation: considered a failure of the art of crystallomancy Kee has been recruited as an archer

Background: When Kee first started out as a Crystalmancer her people held great hope and regard for her until she acquired despair. Believing in harmony the Mahri condemned Kee for her use of despair and warned her of the havoc it would wreak upon her own harmony. She was forced to live outside of the village and was only welcomed back in when one of the wiser of her people stated that there was a balance in all and despair was part of that balance. The Mahri still talk about Kee and shun her. Looking down upon her for her inability to meditate for to long due to the affects of her crystal at times swallowing her up with emotions.

Personality: Kee at times appears bland and pessimistic more so when she is weakened by her crystals powers. However she is calm and her heart knows no bounds. She shows an interest in others and while often she is afraid of how others react to her, she cries for others pain and longs for their inner peace and harmony.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bick

Bick New Member

((Putting this here so I can work on it inbetween classes :)))

Name: Rani Boujinsky
    Race (Overview): Mahri
    Appearance: Dark sky blue eyes, black pupil. Long jet black fur, long tuffs around her face. On her back she has black-blue stripes going down from head to tail. Her tail is rather bushy, extending about 3 feet. Her ears are longer then they are wide, with hair protruding from the ends much like a lynx. She has small, meek feet, and small hands. She is about 5'11, and weighs around 135pounds.
    Attire: She doesn’t wear much, but since she is a member of society, she wears leather, almost bikini-like clothing, a leather sash-belt on her waist. She always carries a satchel with her, where she keeps her belongings
    Weaponry: Whip;; Connected to her sash. Throwing knives, and a small dagger. Long-bow;; She carries the arrow-carrier on her back at all times, the bow is seen strung over her opposite shoulder.
    Background: She was born in the Isle of Mahr, but soon left at a young age. She has lived on her own most of her life, rarely taking the kindness of strangers. She always felt she could make it on her own or not at all. Though this changed, when she was on her last life, sick and in the rain. She nearly died, but was saved by a kindly old Drenning. The Drenning became her only friend as she became healthy once more. She left with a new outlook on life, knowing that sometimes you could count on others. After that, she started to train. She used her meditation to her advantage and became a traveling entertainer. With her quickness, limberness and unique abilities she was well loved. That didn’t last long, as she finally stayed in the Eldora area.
    Personality: Very independent. She is just now learning to listen to her senses after much time dealing with that teenage angst. She has a low temper, and is rather laid-back. She can be friendly, but she has a habit of looking very… snappy. She rarely shows her true emotions, hiding them as a factor of trying to look “strong.” Unless she’s very angry, or very upset you won’t see much more then a gentle smile from her. She is more talkative then she should be, but not to a great extent.

2 people like this.
  12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Name: Aida [Pronounced- A-da]
    Gender: Male [Yes, this is a male character...you'll have to rub eyes to believe it]
    Race: Aelin [wasn't sure read the overview and I was like well they are beautiful and yeah]
    Appearance: http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp235/Tom_Pickle/Crystandwar.jpg?t=1221082393
    [Hope the picture is okay]
    Weaponry: A whip made out of a strong material that can cut through diamonds [hope that is all right have to make him prepared]
    Occupation: Priest [Yes a priest with a whip and armor-hope this okay]
    Background: One of the seven priest prodigies Aida is a fierce and loyal protector of his beliefs. That is why the seven priest prodigies made him their judge. Aida knows nothing of his childhood or anything about when he grew up. That is all for him to figure out if he wants to. [Hope this is all right]
    Personality: Negative sides-Cold, rude, temperamental
    Positive sides-He is calm, understanding, loyal to those he trust, trustworthy, and kind

1 person likes this.
  13. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

Name: Hoden Severus (Last name is an honorific of rank)
    Race: Erissi
    Appearance: A veteran cavalryman, Hoden is adorned in reflective silver plate armor. His eyes are both the pitch blacks of the Erissi people, and he has crimson, wavy hair. He rides on a rare species of mountain wolf that has pure white furs.
    Weaponry: A lance that has a small triangular banner hanging near the tip.
    Occupation: Hunter gatherer of the Erissian city-fort of Nyrissi
    Background: As a young boy he watched as most of the older Erissian cities fell because of the unstable mountain conditions, and vowed to bring it back to its former glory. At the age of 27 he led cavalry raids against the Iander lands with a band of men called the "Riders of Pale". Few of these men still live now, and Hoden is proud to have been the Captain of them and their campaigns.
    Personality: Is a very quiet man, cautious an aware of his surroundings. He has utterly mastered the use of his lance and uses it in coordination with a short sword forged by the Nyrissian blacksmiths. When in battle he does not hesitate to charge straight into ranks of enemy lines, as he has learned special tactics with his wolf that cannot be done on horse.

1 person likes this.
  14. Raven

Raven Banned

This game is now active to play. As in when Teele makes his first post.

15. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

Name: Piesca Jovann ('Piesca' means 'little fish' in the Alarin language)

Race: Alarin (tree huggers ;) )

Appearance:
    Piesca is on the short side for an Alarin, which means that she still stands at a willowy 5'7". She has the deep golden skin of her race and a highly colored expressive face.
    Her hair is long and coppery red with pale blue streaks running through it, slightly wavy to it so that it tends to frizz out and create a nimbus of light around her face.
    Her eyes are transparent blue with golden flecks and a deep blue-grey ring around the iris, her pupils are diamond-shaped, and her eyes have an exotic tilt to them.
    Her mouth is full-lipped and slightly too wide for true beauty and the corners are usually turned up as though she is about to smile. She also has a dusting of freckles across her nose and cheeks.
    She wears a supple leather vest that fits loosely enough to move in and either tied bikini bottoms, short shorts, or pants of the same silky tanned leather or suede. Usually she prefers to go barefoot the better for taking to the trees and climbing or jumping through the branches or for swimming. For the journey she will wear fur-lined moccasin-style suede boots that reach to just below the knee. She will also take an ivory-colored suede fur-lined coat for the journey. She wears a necklace of polished pebbly tigers-eye gems and beads that are shaped to look like green leaves.

Weaponry: Crossbow, considered to be 'too modern' by the people in her village, and an all-purpose straight-bladed knife. She may pick up more or change these as we progress.

Occupation: Tamer. If it breathes, crawls, flies, swims, or scampers Piesca can probably gentle it.

Background: Piesca is the daughter of Lyiav Jovann, a fabled war hero amongst her people. Due to an impulsive oath made by her father to a man who saved his life in battle, she is promised to marry Mattan Gorvas, a young man who is so cold and serious that she is afraid he might dim her inner light (dispirit her) which is a far more serious problem in her culture than physical death. Her father tends to be wild and impulsive but he is also a man of iron when it comes to his sworn word.

She was born and raised in the ancient Northern Forest of Alarinaust and though she loves the forest she wants to see much more of the world.

Personality:
    Piesca is more lighthearted than your typical Alarin, causing many of her neighbors and family to consider her foolish and flighty. She is also headstrong and stubborn, often having to learn things the hard way. She is very much a free spirit though at times she exhibits the Alarin coldness and can be shy about emotions. She is wary of crystal and crystal-users even though she has great respect for the power of crystal.

1 person likes this.
  16. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

Name: Orillon Benoit

Race: Shale

Appearance: Orillon has bright green eyes, bleach blond hair, and heavily tanned skin from all his time spent on his ship and the beach. He stands 5'8" and has a lean, muscular frame.

Clothing: He wears a faded pink bandana, a form fitting navy blue jacket with yellow outlining and a highly decorative eagle stiched to the back, and baggy orange pants rolled up to his knee. He wears sandals that wrap and tie around his knee. The leather of the sandal is decorated with tiny pictures depicting events from when the Shale and the Coalition went to war. Over his left eye is black patch with an ornate smiling skull etched onto it (his family crest). His jewelry consists of a sapphire ring on his left ring finger, a ruby ring on his right ring finger, a yellow sailor's bracelet on each wrist, and silver necklace with a crescent moon on it hanging from his neck.

Weaponry: A sturdy and impecably balanced Shale Sword, with an ornate blade laced with gold. He also has a bamboo reed that he has converted into a poison dart shooter.

Background: Orillon comes from a long tradition of reknowned Gladiators and Sailors. He often leaves his jacket unbottoned to display the scars he has received, and he never hesistates to inform people that his eye was damaged in a gladiator fight when asked. His younger years in a dancing troup has helped Orillon hone his skills in the fighting arts of capoeira. On top of that he is an excellent swordsman.

Having spent most his life on the sea, Orillon has an understanding of Crystan's languages, some basic, some barely, and some outstanding. His adventurous spirit and curiosity lead him to answer Hawk's call.

Personality: He is generally an overtly friendly man, however, his family has a long standing resentment towards the Aelin due to their part in attempts to subvert the Shale. Other than that, he's quick to get along with others and have their backs should the situation call for it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Teele

Teele New Member

A Night Is Born...

The day lay slowly dying. The source of its illuminant life fell agonizingly below the western horizon. And as it died, the night was born. It was a cycle that had pressed on in this way for millennia past; a constant struggle of life and death for dominance of the sky.

So, too, had the races of Crystan struggled for centuries. Indeed, they still struggled, though they often pretended they did not; disillusioned by a fragile veil called ‘peace’. But now, they were entering another night. The day of their ‘peace’ was about to die. And a night of something much greater and more terrible was about to begin.

Hawk seemed a small figure next to the huge stone monolith. It was ancient, and every one of the dozen religions in this land of Aelinaust had an explanation for it. Three concentric circles of smaller stones surrounded it. It was such a crude, simple thing to be shrouded in so much mystery and legend. Hawk smiled. So it was with many things; they were more than what they seemed. Who knew? Perhaps tonight, as a day and an era died, new legends would be created.

He had built a small fire at the base of the monolith, and the flickering light cast the runes that lay carved upon it in an eerie light. Hawk stood not far away from it, the light casting shadows that concealed his face. A chill autumn wind blew from the south. He pulled his worn Solic robe tighter to him. The cloak concealed the longsword at his side, but not the bow and quiver draped over his shoulder.

He saw movement beyond the fire. The first of those he had summoned had arrived. As they came, he looked over each of them thoroughly, assessing and analyzing them. He looked for signs of strength, and weakness, and anything more that could be gathered from such a short glance. In all of them there lay a question, but he waited until he had seen all before he gave his answer.

18. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

When Piesca approached the monolith softly on her moccasin-like boots, the sky was already a deep royal blue but for the line of fire along the western horizon.

“Mother, I can’t marry him. He’s so cold and serious and all he cares about is this small patch of the world.”

A younger Piesca threw her arms out and whirled in a dancing circle.

“There is much more to life than this! There is a whole world to explore!”

Her mother smiled as she stitched skins together, her fingers clever and quick.

“Mattan will be a good influence for you and you for him. Opposites. But even if it were not so you cannot dishonor your father.”

Piesca stopped in mid-whirl, her hair continuing so that it wrapped around her shoulders.

“I don’t want to hurt Papa.”

“Then marry Mattan. He will be a good leader someday. Just get to know him.”

The fur of Piesca’s coat lining brushed her throat, something familiar in a place heavy with uncertainty.

It was her wedding day.

In the early morning hours she left a note, gathered what she would need for the journey, braided her hair into one long plait, and slipped away with Hawk’s summons in her pack.

She was sorry. But her father’s word would lead to an unhappy life. She had gotten to know Mattan and he had become worse. Colder, harder, entirely humorless. She explained in her note that he would diminish her inner light and repeated again that she was sorry.

She would miss her father most of all.

Piesca threaded her way through the circles of stones, stopping as she saw the robed figure silhouetted against the firelight. The air was fresh and clear with the night breeze, tanged with autumn. The rings around the monolith were touched with something more, a heavy feeling of legends yet to be made.

Shyly, she stepped forward again and approached the cowled figure, bowing her head and bending her knees briefly in respectful greeting.

19. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

The sun smiled down on the Albatross, which sailed across the vast ocean towards the nation of Aelinaust. The boat, made of bleached wood, had been built by the man in the crows nest. It was part of his family tradition that each man build his first ship. It wasn't a mighty seafaring vessel, it only need a crew of five to sail. But still, the man had put six years of his young life into it. The day would come when he could upgrade, but not yet, and he liked it that way.

As the noon sun baked Orillon Benoit's shoulders, he opened his arms and let the breeze engulf his naked torso. He loved the open sea and the sun. It was a combination he was going to miss as summer would soon fall into slumber and fall would arise. He could always head south, he told himself, and stay warm. Perhaps head back to Shalan and enjoy some down time. Nonsense you fool, he thought to himself. It is time to set foot on the land of my enemy and see what I have been summoned here for. Orillon had often been bitter of the Aelin, and he almost decided not to answer the call of 'Hawk' as the meeting was in Aelinaust. He had learned to be spiteful of the race through family heritage. His ancestors faught against the Coalition. Many of the Shale believed the Aelin were the driving force behind the war, due to the growth of their seafaring race. It was a spite that has been passed down to Benoit man and woman alike.

The Albatross neared port and four men below prepared to dock. Orillon grabbed a rope at his side and slid down it to the deck. He threw on his jacket and sandals, and rasied his faded pink bandana to his forehead.

"Welcome to Aelin, cap'n," one the men said to him with a grin.
    "I don't know what makes these people think they're so special," Orillon said, gazing around at the buildings. "Shalan is far more beautiful and exciting a place than this."
    "Of course, cap'n," the man said, getting a out a bucket and mop.
    "Keep her clean and safe, gentlemen," Orillon announced to the four men. "I'll put a hole in the man who puts a hole in my baby."

All five men gave a laugh and Orillon hopped up onto the deck. The sun was moving to set, and he needed to get to the monolith quickly. He unfolded the leather map his father had given him. He wasn't sure why the man had a map to the monolith, but he didn't argue.

After hours of traveling, Orillon Benoit arrived as the sun set and the night took hold.

20. Bick

Bick New Member

Rani didn’t know why she had decided to leave her small rented room behind. She had spent years in that small town, tending bar and serving drinks and food to her many regulars. That had become a sort of home for her, she felt truly safe for the first time since she had left Mahr. She wanted to know who this Hawk was, and why he wanted her. What was she but a failed acrobat?

Her footsteps were almost silent as she sprinted down, taking breaks in-between to catch her breath. The trek had been long but good for he training. She had taken all the money she had saved over the years, a few supplies for the road, and of course her trusty satchel. Her body tensed, and she stopped suddenly. She could hear a distant sound, but it only seemed to carry in the wind. She sighed, if only she had stayed in Mahr, her senses would have been toned.

It was only a few hours longer until she reached her destination, there were many others. She even noticed a few from her own species. A faint smile escaped her lips as she walked towards the man who she assumed was their caller. She'd find out if her journey was worthwhile.

21. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

It had been one year since Elryn had gone into isolation when he received the letter from a man calling himself Hawk. He had no idea how anyone could have known about his whereabouts, but even more than that he didn't know how they delivered the letter unseen. No matter, his curiosity had been perked.

He arrived in Aelinaust early in the morning but as he reached the great monolith the sun was quickly falling out of sight. Stars could already be seen on the eastern skyline but his attention had fallen on the man in the Solic robe. So this is Hawk.

He could already see more people arriving, specifically an Alarin woman and a Shale man. This will be an interesting night.

22. Ungood

Ungood New Member

"Hold the Line" The commander called as the riots erupted around them. Tooth held his shield at the ready and marched with his fellow solders upon the protesters.

"Go back to your homes!" The commander yelled at them using some crystal device that augmented his voice so that everyone could hear him. "Violence is not the answer!" he shouted again as Tooth as his team moved forward. Violence breeds violence he thought as he moved towards them, just normal people living their lives and feeling unappreciative.

"Bring your disputes to your local leaders and use proper procedure" the commander called again as they readied their batons to beat down the protesters. "Violence is NOT the Answer" he shouted again and then pointed at one of the groups "make an example of them" he commanded using his normal voice to just talk to his team.

Tooth and the others jumped upon the protesters and beat them down until they curled up into balls and begged for the beatings to stop.
    "Violence is not the Answer, go back to your home and resolve this in a proper peaceful way" The commander announced again.

The crowed started to break up seeing the other group of protesters get thew beat down seemed to wake them up that they were not going to win this.

After the streets were mostly clear the commander called for the med units to tend to the wounded protesters. "What you did was wrong!" He yelled at them "You endangered others because you failed to follow the rules! We have rules to maintain order!" he continued his verbal beat down of the protester leaders as they were tended to by the medical personal.

After his verbal assault he handed Tooth a letter "Your relieved footman from my command, this write hereby grants you ambassador's rank among our people, your orders are to make this meeting and see what peace talks can come of it, make your nation proud" he finished as he brought his fist to his chest and saluted Tooth. Tooth Bowed and placed his fist over his heart as a salute.

The letter was sealed with the aristocratic emblem but signed by someone named "Hawk". No matter Tooth would not let his people down. Peace would come of these talks if he had to kill them all!

Time seemed to stand still and the many means by which he traveled blurred into one motion, a ship here, a ride on a horse and other means of travel until he finally the night fell and as opposed to breaking camp he was informed to head on towards the monolith.

As he arrived he saw five people standing there around the fire.

taking his place among them he bowed and placed his fist over his chest and bowed "Emissary Tooth Goldfang of the Iander, greetings and well met". Then slowly stands up to try and figure out who this Hawk person is that has invited them here.

23. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    The abandoned

The sky was a soft shade of blue when Kee Rillin left the village. The Mahri looked up from their work gathering and shrugged before returning to their work. None cared that she left them, there was no need. A long time ago Kee had become nothing to them. The keeper of misery is what they called her, Kee in part believed them. After all her crystal was just that despair.

She had come a very long way, yet her body wasn’t worn and her spirits hadn’t sunk, well not much more then usual. The fire was a welcome sight, she inhaled the scent thick like incense. The others who had come did little to hold her interest as the flames wound and danced in their pit. Kee stared content at last a letter clutched in her fist.

24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Long travels were never in Aida's plans. It would have taken him less time if didn't stop and complain all the time. This wasn't even part of his plans at all, now that he thought about. He got the letter and the remaining six prodigies forced him to go. He didn't want to go at all, Aida was far more curious and preoccupied by a lot more interesting things. He had heard about a crystallized dragon and a fun house, which teleported you anywhere you wanted to go. Aida would go to the fun house so that way they could take him to the crystallized dragon, that made his job a little easy. But no instead he was going to meet someone on top of a cliff. Aida saw a fire and a large group of people surrounding it. Aida moaned. Aida saw a man in a hood watching the members quickly. He immediately hated the man. Oh! Look I'm in a robe I'm so mysterious and all mighty powerful, Aida mocked inside his own head.
    All though sitting on dirt was one of his favorite things to do Aida plopped onto the ground. His feet hurt and he was tired of standing around.

25. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

The Tide and the Beach

The night wore on as more and more emerged from the darkness. Orillon wasn't sure about the others, but the silence of the growing crowd of people bothered him. He sat down, cross-legged, and took out his bamboo-spitter. With a few flicks of his wrists, he twisted the spitter to reveal holes going up and the reed. "If it pleases the illustrious master of this meeting," he said aloud to those around him. "The quiet of night if bothering this lowly entertainer, and I'd like to regale a whimsical tale told to me in my younger years: The Tide and the Beach.

Without hestitation for the cloaked man's response, Orillon brought the newly formed instrument to his lips and blew into it gently. The quiet notes started at slow and gentle.

As it always did for Orillon, the soothing notes invoked the image of a quiet shore on Shalan, where a young girl lay bathing in the sun.

Swaying with the music, Orillon sped the tempo up some more.

His mind flooded with the image of a storm fastly approaching, faster than the young girl could move.

He strengthened the notes from the flute, bringing the tempo faster and the notes lower. His fingers danced nimbly over the holes on the reed.

The storm and shaken the very tides of Shalan, and a large wave crashed over the young girl, dragging her into the sea. The currents claimed her frail body, thrashing her around as the storm intesified. She struggled and faught as much as she could.

Orillon softened the notes again and slowed his pace, holding each note longer and giving them a wave with his tongue.

The storm subsided, but the young girl was too weak to swim back to shore. She tried and tried and finally gave up, becoming another victim of the sea.

Orillon held the last note for a few seconds and then stopped. He looked down at the flute and wiped off the mouth of it. He always remembered his father playing on his handcrafted lute, and singing the lyrics to The Tide and the Beach. His answer was the same everytime the young boy asked him how it was possible for the storm to arrive so quickly and disappear so fast: "Sometimes, Ori," he had said. "What the sea wants, the sea will get."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.