A name for a character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marcelo, Sep 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian New Member

How about: Felix.

It means "happiness" so it's kind of ironic.

2. *Sticks*

*Sticks* New Member

He sounds like a 'Shea' to me :)

3. shayghost

shayghost New Member

how about dante (Y)

4. TBAWriter

TBAWriter New Member

I tend to come up with names that my fiancee tells me sound like something out of a Jules Verne novel. Odysseus Malone, Phileas Rasputin Starikov, Walden Hanley (all from a sci-fi novel), Johann Augustus Finch (he calls himself Han). I agree with the idea that it has to be very personal. I also like the Kevin/Cavan idea.

5. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I thought I was the only who knew about it! =P

I think a lot of people try to name characters a certain type of name because they want to try and fit the qualities of a character and sum them up in a name eg: a powerful, strong character, a name that would sound fearsome like Dante would fit the character's profile, but in reality, we could have the most fearsome, well-built, charismatic hero in the history of a genre and his name could be Bob.

6. CommonGoods

CommonGoods New Member

Hmmm, this kind of reminds me of the Warlock Richard in LFG-comic... Fearfull warlock who ends up being called "Dick".

I don't really believe in the meaning of names. These days, names aren't often picked by meaning in Western cultures. In order to pick a name for a character, we need way more information; social background, origin, names of his parents, racial origin.

"I once went to a town called Sweden,
    There I ment a man named Jim.
    He seemed like a common Joe,
    Till I was introduced to wim."

Names don't matter. It's how the names fit into the story. If you want to pick a name cause it "sounds cool", become a DM in a D&D game.