1. Mr magician

Mr magician Member

A name of a fantasy world: does it need to be changed?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Mr magician, Jun 4, 2021.

I named my fantasy world lanope, short for land of hope. This word is made up, and it will appear many times in the work, even in the title of the work. I think it will be very important, so is lanope too short? Or does it remind readers of something unpleasant?

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm not very fond of it, but I can't say it reminds me of anything bad. At least not anything consciously. But if it's a good story, I don't know if anyone will care too much.

Worst case, assuming it doesn't wow others, you could try and sort of Frenchify/Gallicize it to L'anope although that probably doesn't make sense.

3. John McNeil

John McNeil Active Member

It doesn't grab my attention either, but then nor do some real country names.

You said it was a fantasy story so you could try translating the phrase "land of hope" into different languages and seeing if mashing those together works better.

Or you can just use it. As Bruce pointed out, a good story is what a reader wants, repeating the name throughout will give the word new meaning and let people love it. There have been a lot of country names I initially hated but now associate with the story and characters that take place in them. You can definitely spend too much time on a detail like this.

jpoelma13 likes this.
  4. Mr magician

Mr magician Member

This is the truth:supercry:

5. Mr magician

Mr magician Member

Oh,By the way, I call the continent of this story :pulcedis(Latin,English pronunciation as Pusidis),For example status is like the middle earth in Arda. a Latin abbreviation for beauty and richness. What do you think of the name? Is the same OK?:superconfused:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. Terbus

Terbus Active Member

Currently Reading::
    To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini
    I agree with the statements above. When I am reading high fantasy, I expected to remember the names of places, countries, worlds, ect. To me, Lanope just skips over my head.
    Dose your would need a name, however? I've never named either of my high fantasy worlds, mostly because I don't see a reason to. My characters think of were they live as 'the world', and I felt that was enough.

7. Mr magician

Mr magician Member

Yes, indeed, so I have now cancelled the name of the world and made it the name of the mainland. The original name of the mainland is covered by the name of Lanope.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021