Tags:
  1. Wanderlust07

Wanderlust07 New Member

A new beginning?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wanderlust07, Aug 24, 2017.

Hello ... I am writing to introduce myself to the forum. Whilst away on holiday my mind turned again to the possibilities of writing a book. I have thought of this many times over the years but never moved any further ahead than my thoughts. Also I was never sure if I should write a short children's fiction story or stick to what I know which is myself.
    Anyway this summer I finally decided I think I may give this a go and write about a very specific part of my life which was the loss of my husband and then the struggle to put my life back together. The thinking being that this may help other women who have struggled, for whatever reason, to find themself and to be strong....although I still don't know the exact answers to that but it's the search for answers that enlightens.

Anyway, to that end I am attaching below the start to my story. I would appreciate opinion as to whether I am wasting my time and should stop before I even begin or whether there is any glimpse of potential. So please could I have feedback either positive or negative before I put pen to paper in earnest. Thank you. K x

How long do I have?

Everyone is different but, it could be six, twelve or maybe eighteen months. I will put you in touch with an excellent Oncologist we work with and, in the meantime, would you like a cup of tea?

That was how the bombshell news was delivered to us, on a Tuesday evening, in February 2013. I just felt a wave of fear, dread, hurt, disbelief and pure terror wash over me. I gasped outloud with shock and bewilderment that our whole life had just been tipped upside down and in five short minutes was changed forever and now we were going to sit down together to take in what we had just been told, keep calm and drink tea. I felt like a wild animal who had always roamed the land as a free spirit suddenly stunned by a trap, squeal in pain and terror and then try to figure a way out. But from the minute I heard the consultant’s words I knew beyond all doubt there was no way out of this trap and a sinking feeling settled in my stomach.

The doctor and nurses left, tea and biscuits on a tray was duly delivered to the room and we sat there together both our minds in utter turmoil. But from that moment on we focused on positive, about getting the best treatment, about beating this cruel disease, about fighting it together with all our might and coming out the other end as winners. That was how we set off together on this final journey and with every step we took over the following months, that was how we continued. Never once did either of us discuss the fact that this might actually happen even though we both knew it was inevitable. That trust in each other, the fight and determination and pure grit got us through the next nine months, but then, the inevitable happened and I was left alone. We had failed. He had lost his life and mine had disintegrated around me in tatters, my body and mind felt as if they had been driven at full speed into a concrete wall, and now somehow I had to pick up the pieces and put together my own life. The hardest bit of all was to come. I had to find the resolve and determination from within, all on my own this time, and carry on. This was going to be the most difficult journey of my life.

2. Shemshari

Shemshari Member

Hello,

If you have been thinking about writing for this long, then you should. There is a story to be told through your experiences that may help others. Just that should be enough to put pen to paper. Good luck and I wish you the best in your endeavors.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    GIR Waving.gif

Writing a novel is hard work.
    Perhaps you should get your 2
    mandatory critiques and 20 general
    posts out of the way, so you can post
    an excerpt in the Workshop. :)

Have fun and good luck. :supersmile: