1. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

A New Way to Write

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kerilum, Jan 29, 2017.

I've found myself feeling very unmotivated to write lately, despite telling myself to do so. Sometimes I think it's the feeling of starting at the beginning is what does that. And by beginning, I mean in the beginning of the middle or the beginning of the end. So I've found a way to ensure that I never start at the beginning.

I found myself doing this accidentally. I began writing a summary of my idea and then elaborated it. I elaborated it further and further into segments, and these segments began to break down into plot-points, which broke even further into individual scenes.

Oh well if this 'technique' has a name already; I've never heard of it, and it is really helping me. Perhaps it can help any of you struggling to keep yourself writing at all.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You have just described one method of planning, as it relates to the difference between planners and pantsers.

Simpson17866 and izzybot like this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

It sounds like an outline to me. I get that a lot of writers, including myself, don't use them. But have you really never heard of an outline before?

Simpson17866 and Wreybies like this.
  4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I've tried not to do that, and it never goes for very long ;)

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Possibly also the Snowflake Method? You start with something big and break it down into smaller and smaller bits...

6. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

As others have mentioned, this is not new.

But, it's really cool that you've found something that seems to work for you.

Simpson17866, Wreybies and BayView like this.
  7. Pipersong

Pipersong New Member

As someone who doesn't know every writing method under the sun, I find this interesting. I've done something similar to this and it works somewhat well for me. I go into the segments you described and then choose the part I feel like working on at the time. I'm too scatterbrained to go in a strictly chronological fashion. Glad to see you've got something good going.

jannert likes this.
  8. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I wish I could use this method, but my stories never have a planned middle and the plot often gets twists and turns as I write. I usually have one or two points I know I want to hit, but other than that, I'm very much a pantser. I've tried planning and outlining and . . . well I went as far as figuring out the first 15 pages. :dry:

So glad you've figured out a method to help your creativity!

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

Not outlining if I'm actually breaking it down to actual scenes.

10. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

You're extrapolating from an initial outline. You're just working through the individual steps from synopsis to flesh.

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yes, I think that's a solution for some people who get stuck. Write something from somewhere else in the story.

The author usually intends the story to read, from page one to 'the end,' but it doesn't need to be written this way at all. The more unconnected bits you write, the easier it is to find ways to connect them—at least in my experience.

12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

One trick I picked up a few years ago was to always finish the writing day in the middle of a thought. That way, when I sat down the next morning, I already knew what the next few sentences were going to be. It didn't always work, but I found that if I started every day writing downhill I didn't have as many "duh" moments that torpedoed the day before I could get started.

13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I thought this was the snowflake method?