I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with a strange quandary that I am in...I recently finished editing my thriller novel with a well established and well regarded literary consultancy. They are currently reading the manuscript with the understanding that if they think it is good enough they will champion my work to agents and publishers. I have been waiting now for a few months for a response, so I haven't submitted anywhere myself yet. Now my problem comes because I also have a movie producer who would like to option the story and try to make the film of my book. He is chasing me but I have been putting him off because the literary consultancy have told me that IF they want to take the book forward, agents will not be impressed if I have optioned the movie rights already, (is this true?). At the same time the movie producer is saying that if they are working up a movie, that may be what persuades a publisher to take the gamble on a debut author... What should I do? both are offering me the end of the rainbow...potentially! I'm worried the movie guy might lose interest and then the agency come back and say 'not interested', and I end up with nothing. But I don't want to mess up my chances with the agency because really it is the publishing deal I dream of most... Could anyone with more experience than me give me some solid advice please?