Tags:
  1. Liza

Liza Active Member

A POV Change Question

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Liza, Jun 30, 2011.

Well, okay. I'm doing a story in third person, and there's a main character. But, I don't only use that main character's POV. Well, not really a POV, but it's more like I'm following different characters.

Anyway, I have a slight... Format problem. See, here:

Oh, where are you, father? Mother? This desperate cry was hidden well inside her thoughts. Lucy had never so badly wanted to go home. The large, empty house had never welcomed her home, but there was a first for everything. Lucy wished back the meaningless furniture, and lifeless dinner parties. She wanted to go back and live her life in safety. Staring into space, she imagined it all back, right in front of her.
    While Lucy was being reminiscent, Austin wondered about the buildings on the island. There had to be civilized people living on the island, for the faraway palace looked as if it was recently built. What if their parents were waiting for them, in the city? Austin had assumed that there was a city. Judging by the looks of the island, there was one somewhere. He was intent on finding it, too. And if not for his big sister, he probably would have found it already. He wanted to, and he would.

I'm not sure if I should have a *** every time I follow a different character? You see, without the stars, is the change too awkward?

EDIT: You see, I'm worried that I may have too many stars and changes.

2. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I'd say a space is enough for me to follow.

Again, even without the stars it's pretty easy to follow. The only time it would be confusing is if you changed pov in the same paragraph.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I would nix the "While Lucy was being reminiscient" line.

Also, the standard format for a scene break is a # in the center of an otherwise blank line.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I would center the stars. Makes it a bit easier to read IMO.

5. Liza

Liza Active Member

Well, ah, I think I will use spaces from now on. Thank you, spklvr.