1. arpooch

arpooch New Member

I have two questions about publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by arpooch, Sep 26, 2010.

Hello Everyone,

I written a few things but I finally thought of a great idea that I think would be good enough for publishing. I wrote a children's fanasty chapter book. The only problem is, I based it off information from another book. Is this legal???

Also, does anyone know any publishers that don't require agents that do fansty children's books. Thanks!

-Arpooch :cool:

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Firstly, it depends what you mean by "based it off information from another book".

Secondly, you need to reserach publishers. It isn't hard to find resources on Google. Or buy a copy of Writer's Market, or it's equivalent wherever you live.

Thirdly, judging by your spelling and grammar in that post, I worry your writing skills aren't at a publishable level yet.

3. arpooch

arpooch New Member

I don't really care what my grammar is like on a forum. When I get to writing though, I look at my grammar closely. And I just noticed my grammar mistake in the first sentence. oops.

This is the book I'm basing it off of: Gnomes, by Rien Poortvliet

I'm not exacty sure if the information in this book was made up especially for this book or it comes from other stories about gnomes. I appreciate your feedback.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Most of it was made up for that book.

Why base your story on someone else's creation?

5. arpooch

arpooch New Member

Well, back to the drawing board. I thought the information in that book was based on folklore and stories. Thanks a lot.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in re publishers, the best resource for finding appropriate ones is www.duotrope.com