1. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

A question about quotation marks

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Night Herald, Oct 21, 2018.

I'm a bit uncertain about the usage of quotation marks outside of dialogue. For example:

Is this correct? Should I be using the same quotation marks that denote dialogue, and also capitalize the first letter within the quote? Are the rules different for actual quotes, and for things that are "read aloud" within the narration? Are there any hard rules at all? I'm given to understand that there is, and I think I've done it right in the example above, but I'm still not convinced I've got it.

I'd be most grateful to be educated in this.

CerebralEcstasy likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Your example looks good to me. The first usage has the full stop outside the quotation marks, which feels correct since that isn't dialogue. Your second usage has the comma inside the quotes, which is correct because that is dialogue. You seem to be following North American standards as regards the use of double vs single quotes, so, with that in mind, this all looks perfectly correct so far. Perhaps you could invent a scenario that represents a situation where you are more doubtful as to use?

3. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Interesting. Could I get away with putting the plaque's inscription in italics?

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You likely could, tbh.

5. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

For whatever reason I prefer that look, especially for significant fantasy inscriptions.

6. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I'll give that some thought. Thanks!

I considered that option as well, and I think it's a fair way to go about it. I just prefer not to (at least not in the novel the example is taken from) what with my liberal use of italics elsewhere—thoughts, the names of ships and other vessels, foreign phrases, emphasis, and the like. I'm probably overdoing it as is.

7. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Quotation marks look like that: "
    Because your example is about a plaque, let's mention that you can also use capitals for the text of the plaque:
    On the far wall there was a large EXIT sign.
    (if you meant a plaque also written in capitals since most signs look exactly like that).
    If your plaque was written like normal text, with capitals and small letters etc, then quotes will do:
    On the far wall was a large sign reading: "This exit is now closed".

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It looks fine to me too. In addition to other suggestions, you can use a colon.

A plaque read: Here there be dragons.

9. maus

maus New Member

How odd. The example in the op containing the quote "Here there be dragons" strikes me as completely wrong, and I've always put commas and periods inside the quotation marks even when they are not part of the quote. However, Quickanddirtytips.com says you guys across the pond use different rules for this. I didn't know.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I always thought you should use different quotation marks for signs vs dialogue? Am I wrong? :ohno:

Like, the sign read, 'Here be dragons'. Robert said, "Yeah, right."

Why are there two different types of quotations marks anyway? I seem to think it's some British/American difference.

11. DeeDee

If you're just typing your manuscript, nobody cares. The publisher takes care of little things like that. Technically, making the quotes visibly different makes it is easier to read. Anything to please the reader, you know.

Wait till you see the French! Il a dit : « Je vais t'aider »
    Variety is the spice of life :whistle:

12. Mckk

Oh I have no issues with different types of quotation marks in another language - it's a different language, so punctuation conventions are different. I get that. The Chinese use 「...」as quote marks, and 。as a full stop, as well as 、to mark items in a list as opposed to using the regular comma, which just doesn't exist in European languages that I know of. (Well, I guess the semi-colon could be the equivalent)

The Czechs use „...“ as quote marks.

That's all fine. But why have "..." and '...' in the same language if they're not supposed to be used differently? That's why I'm almost certain they should be.

13. DeeDee

So that you can distinguish between things when more quots are used in the same sentence:
    Professor Flynn began with, "Even if you've never read a word of Shakespeare, I'm sure you've heard 'To be or not to be' a thousand times."

14. Mckk

Bleh. Somehow that slipped my mind. I feel dumb now.

But, even in your example, 'To be or not to be' isn't direct speech and it's quoted with single quotes. So that's why I've always assumed even in narrative, a thing like that would still be quoted with single quotes and not double?

Basically, I need someone to tell me if I'm wrong...

15. DeeDee

Mckk likes this.