Tags:
  1. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Scenes that come to life

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MapleLeaf, Nov 11, 2009.

When I sit down to write a scene I often find it only comes to life as I am writing it. Characters start speaking, they react, they sit and stand. They take off hats, and wipe their faces etc. But then another thing happens - the scene gets burned into my brain. It becomes real - so real, that I have trouble deciding if I have seen it somewhere in a movie before. Its just so real its breathing on its own, so I cant help but think it has been done before. I find I have to search the net for any reference of anything similar before I let the scene continue. Does this happen to any of you ?

2. Robert Lipscombe

Robert Lipscombe New Member

not really.. the good news is you sound as though you have the gift, like Bulgakov, who wrote the Master and Margarita... so hang in there and get writing
    best wishes
    rl

3. Robert Lipscombe

Robert Lipscombe New Member

it's worth remembering that real writing is in fact a spiritual act, involving knowledge and wisdom that we are quite unconscious of in our day to day doings; when you write you connect with the soul's awareness of everything, and if you have the technique your writing will be imbued with a presence, something quite inexplicable and utterly beyond scientific analysis - that peculiar thing that Bulgakov had in mind when he told the world that 'manuscripts don't burn' ...hence the implacable animosity of the politician and the predatory corporate type, the policeman and the gangster towards the true writer.
    enjoy your gift and develop it as fast as you can, the world needs real writers
    rl

4. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

RL

Thank you for your comments.

I wont know or sure if its a gift or not until I finish something and someone likes it or atleast a handful do.

I had not heard of Bulgkov before now and looked him up. Fascinating writer, I could not find anything that mentioned his imagery , style or inspiration for writing though. Any links you might have would be useful. Thanks!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's happened to me quite a few times, actually... and i've always been happily surprised to find the 'familiar' words are mine alone...

thanks to the advent of the internet and google, it now only takes a few seconds, to find out...

6. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Yep. I hate and love when that happens. I only hate it because I have to spend a few hours going through a little research to make sure I haven't swiped something from someone else. I love it because it makes writing super enjoyable. It also makes me wonder sometimes if I'm not just a little bit crazy.