Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solarstarrkatt

solarstarrkatt New Member

Worst endings/plot turns ever?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by solarstarrkatt, Jun 1, 2010.

Endings are the best, but hopefully the ones you post will break this rule.

Plot turns are scary at times, but these went to full on nightmare!

I needed practice for opening statements. Are they any good? I'm trying to get better at hooking people on. Anyway...

Sweet Blood by Pete Hautman. Basically, this girl with diabetes (Lucy) is gothic and is really into vampires (her theory for them rocked). She is on this online chat room where everyone pretends to be a vampire. One of the person's name is Draco. She has a really bad attitude. She meets this boy named Dylan, then Wayne. Her computer gets taken away. -Spoiler alert!- After a party where she gets drunk and kissed by Wayne, who was Draco, she bleaches her hair so she is blond again.
    Gag me.

Oh, and I hate it when authors have the main character's crush be the bad guy in disguise or something. Hehe, even though I may be guilty. I've written so many bad stories I may have done this :)

2. Nikhil

Nikhil New Member

The worst plot turns were in "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman. It was a great book overall but concerning the personality of Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coutler.

Their personality changes with every few chapters. They are good, bad or what are they. Their actions are simply unexpected to me. One second she tries to protect her daughter and then marches against her??

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Overly cheesy endings annoy me. The happily ever after type.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Cell by Stephen King had the worst ending I've ever came across.
    But that was just an awful book overall.

5. nihilcertum

nihilcertum New Member

I'm not sure what to think of Twain's ending to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I've mulled over it for a while and read some articles on it. As soon as Tom Sawyer re-enters the novel everything changes. Huck seems to regress morally and falls into his old childish admiration of Tom. It really bothers me because I can't justify it.... Anyone agree/disagree with me?

6. Lankin

Lankin Member

Worst ending I ever came across is not in a book, but an Opera. I Puritani, Bellini (The Puritans). Big drama, everyone is going to be killed, literally in the last minute a messenger suddenly shows up, announcing they are all free. fin

7. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I agree with this. By the end, I was so confused as to what they were doing.

8. ClearPurpleSkies

ClearPurpleSkies New Member

I didn't mind the book overall, but I nearly wanted to strangle Mr. King after reading that ending. Dear God, it was awful.

9. jeanne

jeanne New Member

Hey solarstarrkatt, how could you left out all the point of the book? Lucy didn't change because of Draco. She didn't even love him. She had Ketoacidosis. She died for a minute. That changed her. The dead experience made Lucy realised how much her parents loved her and how much suffer she cause them. That's why she bleached her hair back blonde; to be herself.

I think the worst plot turn over is Darren Shan saga. In Sons of Destiny is like...WTF:eek:

10. solarstarrkatt

I wasn't expecting a real "blow me away" type thing, mostly because every ending I've read felt like a huge letdown.

11. Gigi_GNR

People say The Deathly Hallows' ending was bad, but I loved it.

12. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Not this guy!

I'm glad of the way it turned out (won't divulge lest a person who hasn't read it reads this), for Rowling left us in the Epilogue with enough to the imagination. Honestly, who would want a whole background story, I would rather just enjoy the actual events of the story when you have circumstances like that.

As for how the whole Potter-Voldemort battle came out, I'm happy as anything for it to, because it would be absurd for it to end it the reverse way.

Rereading Hallows again, I just marvel at her ability to fit over a decade's worth of imagination into a final book that left me extremely satisfied. Hallows and Goblet of Fire were definitely my favorite books, with Half-Blood Prince in close second, and all the rest in third.:D

EDIT

To make a response to the title, I read some book I don't even have the patience to look up the title, but here's what they did...

...after a rather unimagined plot, and and unexciting lead-up to an underwhelming climax, the author capped it all off in an ending that made this my least-favorite book read to date:

HE LET YOU DECIDE THE ENDING!!!

HE literally GAVE you OPTIONS to PICK from, NONE OF WHICH WERE VERY GOOD!

Next time, have the tact and do what's right. At least PICK YOUR OWN ENDING, AS AN AUTHOR!

...That infuriated me, for some reason. Still does, by my use of uppercase.

13. jeanne

jeanne New Member

Like it or not; it's there. You reviewed completely different story from the book. It's a point of the story; Lucy's realization of her true self.

14. Gigi_GNR

The ending to Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox was pretty stupid, I thought. Just completely unsatisfactory, and I think they should have cut it off at The Lost Colony.

However, just learned there's going to be a #7 (The Atlantis Complex) which I'm really excited for! :D

15. Lirael

Lirael New Member

I didn't really like the ending to Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman... Or the ending to Stardust! Gaiman's writing is among the best; his plots are original, and charming - but his endings, from what I have experienced, are just anticlimatic. :/

16. Lemex

I rather enjoyed Neverwhere, but I can agree about the ending.
    But if his endings are not good then he can't really be 'among the best' can he.

17. Lirael

Lirael New Member

I enjoyed Neverwhere too! :) Just not the end.

And I refer more to his style when I say he's among the best. The movement of words is, for the most part, perfect; the narrator's voice comes to life; and he rarely lingers on one image for longer than required. When he lingers, the result is thoughtful and inspiring.

18. Lemex

The best style I've ever came across is maybe James Joyce's; he is on top form with his short story The Dead which is maybe my favourite short story ever.

19. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Really? I know this girl's going to buy it. One week after Europe gets it *Teardrop*.

I agree with the Time Paradox thing. I think Colfer pretty much pulled the Holly/Artemis thing out of thin air, just to satisfy fangirls (disconcerting the offhanded comment about his future attraction towards Holly that Artemis made in the UK version of the second book). I don't think they're much of a pairing, though. I was disappointed that Minerva didn't get played up anymore, and Opal Koboi's a little dried out as a good character.

20. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I don't get why so many people complain about that ending...it's fantastic in my opinion. I love how Rowling finishes everythings. It truly is the perfect ending for that series.

As for worst endings...the ones that come to mind are from a couple cheesy books I read a few years back by Ally Carter...I think they were called I'd Tell You But Then I'd Have to Kill You and Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy

They were sweet fluffly books and I liked them overall, but the endings of both were so anticlimatic. it kind of ruined the sweetness of the book in my opinion. A fluffy book teenage romance book is supposed to end with the girl and the guy getting together and being all happy and in both of these it was basically like "Oh i really like you, but I have to go, hope to see you again!" That's the feeling each book gave me at the end. I think she wrote another one, but after the second one I really gave up all interest.

Also the ending to Z for Zacharia was really bad...but so was the whole book in general.

21. Gigi_GNR

^ My god, I read those spy books too! And you're totally right! :eek: Good fluff reads I guess, but the endings were god awful.

22. LittleStalky

LittleStalky New Member

I agree!

23. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Did you read Don't Judge a Grl by Her Cover? I thought they were okay for a light read, but I guess she had to. The series might end if they get together. Or if it didn't, the series would take a turn down the road where Zach or that other non-spy guy gets kidnapped to threaten Cammie. Too predictable, no?

24. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Spirit Bound right now is the one that's ticking me off the most. My cousin's the one who's reading it, and I always thought of the series as a little cheesy (Vampire academy? Ugh.) But to have the main's love interest become one thing that was supposed to be 'impossible' to be saved, only to be returned to his former self? I would have enjoyed hearing it from her more if she had said he killed his love interest out of thirst without realizing it.

25. solarstarrkatt

Hm, I've always wondered if I were to become the next big author what would people think if I were to have three or four endings for a series, mostly because of the whole "Team Jacob/Edward" thing.
    Scratch the multiple endings...

Okay then...
    Sweet Blood is about Lucy, your typical Goth; smart mouth, likes vampires, internet obsessed, and sneaks out for coffee. But she is also diabetic. When she meets Dylan, she goes into a world of other Goths, and also discovers that one of her friends from a chatroom lives in town, and has been wanting to meet her. On Halloween, she goes to his party, where she has wine, kisses him, and leaves soon after. She realizes that Dylan is a fake, and the guy's pawn; Dylan was only used to get her to come.*Spoiler Alert!*
    Drunk (I think) and not having enough (or too much) sugar in her blood, she leaves, throws up in a laundromat, passes out in one of her non-Goth friends backyards, and wakes up in a hospital. She realizes how much she's aged her parents, she hasn't been very good to them, and decides to change. She bleaches her hair so it turns back to the blond color she was born with, and doesn't look back.
    Now you know the entire plot.were curious. And if you were offended by my biased-ness, I apologize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.