1. zilly

zilly New Member

Title Grammar

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by zilly, Feb 18, 2011.

So, that novel my friend and I have been writing for a little over a year, it's finished and we've finally figured some things out with a publisher. That being said, we still don't have a title!

We were going to title the book "Sarah Palkovic," but my friend didn't want to since the story isn't technically about that character and is narrated by a different character. Also, she felt a little unsure about naming a book after a character in general.

So, we are almost certain that we are going to title the book "I Would Die For Sarah Palkovic." However, in the context of the book, it makes a lot of sense for the title to actually be "I Would Die 4 Sarah Palkovic."

My question: how big of a turn off is the slang in the title?

Personally, I'd be extremely reluctant to purchase any book with something like that in the title. But, as I mentioned, in context, it's a more suitable title.

Thanks,

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if it's suitable, use it!

but what does your publisher have to say about it?... or are you self-publishing, so they don't care?

3. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

"Personally, I'd be extremely reluctant to purchase any book with something like that in the title."

I agree. I would use "for" instead of "4". I get though that you are going for a hip, street look by using 4.

I prefer just "Sarah Palkovic." To me, it shows more class. I'm not sure it matters if she isn't the main character of the story. It sounds like she is the main character's inspiration, and maybe that's good enough.

4. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

I agree with Maia, if it is appropriate for what you have written use it. Sounds like a good YA title. For me, it brings up images of Prince and Purple Rain.

5. ShortBus

ShortBus Member

you could technically have it "for" but on the cover graphically change it to "4" somehow. ex: cross out the for and put a 4 on top of it.

that way when someone searches for the book online or in a database it would be "for". and if your looking at the cover you might be drawn to the whole for/4 conundrum.

just thinking outside the box a bit. or in this case thinking outside the book.

anywho congrats on finishing the book and i hope it works out for u.