1. Momo

Momo New Member

Suggestion on "new post" symbol.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Momo, Mar 2, 2011.

Hello!

I recently discovered that the quill symbols next to the sub-forum areas indicate whether or not there is a new post in that sub-forum. Unfortunately, I'm completely unable to determine which symbols are which as I'm colorblind. :(

Perhaps for others who have this difficulty, could the quills be made different colors? Instead of (I can't really tell but I assume one is red/orange while the other is yellowish?) similar colors, perhaps they could be black quills and white quills, or red and blue?

Just wanted to give some feedback- thanks! I apologize if this is the wrong area to be bringing this up.

2. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Even the difference between orange and yellow doesn't mean much. Adding a star or something to the new post quill would probably help.

1 person likes this.
  3. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

La Jolla, CA (and Mission Viejo, CA, during the su
    I have to agree. There's nothing wrong with my eyes, but I really can't tell the difference most of the time.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I agree, it's can be a bit of a pain if your eyesight isn't 100% (or even if it is). This problem has actually been brought up before and I seem to recall then that everyone was more or less in agreement that it could probably be improved.

And one day it probably will be, but the problem is that a) moderators don't have control of site design, so Daniel would have to do it, and b) it's fairly minor as Daniel-only fixable issues go, and thus is quite low down on the priority list.

5. Cryptic

Cryptic New Member

I confuse the feather with a Red pepper lol. Yeah they need to be change, I'm a designer I could design them.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the problem isn't designing, only with daniel making a change...

however, it's not all that big a problem, really... those who can't tell the difference in color need only to click on the sections they're interested in and then they can easily tell the bolded subsections/threads from the unbolded ones... if they're bolded, that means there's new posts...

7. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

Just because it isn't a "big" problem doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

8. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Well, the red ones indicate that at either 15 or more posters replied to the thread or 150 people viewed the forums.

The gold ones indicate that someone posted a new thread every since you last visited the thread.

The ones that have arrows on them indicates that you posted at least one post in that thread.

The subscribed threads are the ones you are a member of. In other words, any posts you make, you will see the threads on the User Control panel whenever someone posts them. After 24 hours, the thread in your UCP will disappear until someone makes a reply in the thread you are subscribed to.

These colored and symboled threads are build by the creators or manufactures of the forums, and not by the the site administrator. I'm not sure if the site administrator (Daniel) can change the symbols or colors of them though.

The orange feather indicates that there is a new thread in the forum section, while the yellow one means that there are no new threads in that section.

I get confused as the color symbols too, and I really don't find this a huge problem with it. The only thing I am concerned about this is how to remove the subscription if I never post any further replies to the thread I create.

9. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

I reiterate: just because it isn't a big problem doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

10. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Jo, I don't think anyone is advocating that the issue be ignored. They are just saying that it's likely very low on Daniel's to-do-list.

11. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You could always PM Daniel about it and see what he has to say. I don't think he checks the actual forum very often.

12. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

When someone says it's not a big deal, they imply that it's perfectly OK if nothing is done, which invites the issue to be ignored. While it isn't a big problem, I still think the problem should be fixed; everyone agrees the colors are too similar, it wouldn't be very hard to do, and there would be virtually no cost. So someone contact the administrator, who seems discouragingly uninvolved with this site, and get him to do something.

13. LordKyleOfEarth

But the issue is bigger than just changing colors. It would need new images with distinctive shapes/forms to be created, uploaded, tested for compatibility, and then coded in to replace the default images.

Daniel is a web-admin and author, not an artist, so he would likely have to hire someone to create the images. For legal reasons he would have to generate a paper trail that showed transfer of intellectual property for the images, which is a bigger headache than it sounds. And if members still had difficulty with the images, he would have to start over.

Meanwhile he would have to stop working on ad-services, promoting his site, working on his other forum ventures, hold off any writing that he is working on, and NOT update the site supporter list. Plus the work has to be done in his spare time which is likely not plentiful (I'm sure he has a real job and a social life too).

14. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

The post of administrator is voluntary, so if Daniel didn't want to actually administrate, perhaps he shouldn't have taken the position. But in any case, there's no harm in asking. He can always say no.

I appreciate that you edited your post out of "politeness", but I believe in honesty. If you have something to say, I think you'd better say it.

15. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

You can always click on new posts at the top of the page - it gives you all the new posts since your last visit.

16. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I really don't think that the administrator can always fix things on the forums, because some of these things are created by the manufactures of the Vbuliten website, and not just the writingforums.org page. This one, on the other hand, is not the main page of www.vbulletin.com. But then again, the manufacture of the website might allow its customers (Daniel) to change the colors.

17. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

No, the administrator can't solve all problems. But I believe Banzai stated that changing the icon was up to the administrator. Anyway, we never know if we do not ask.

18. LordKyleOfEarth

It has been asked before. Everyone agrees that it should be fixed.

19. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

Yeah...so it should be fixed. It's been asked before and everybody agrees it should be fixed. Why not make it today, tomorrow, or at least some time in the near future instead of settling for "one day"?

20. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

---------------------------------------------------

21. Banzai

Right, being completely honest, what do you want me to do about it? I've raised the issue with Daniel. He's not around as much as might be liked, granted, but there's not a great deal, as a moderator I can do about that. If I was his mother, maybe, but in circumstances as present, all I can do is ask.

And as for his administrator post being voluntary, I think you're misunderstanding. It's his site. He created it, he owns it, he pays for it. Despite what you seem to think jo, it isn't owned by the membership. Suggestions and feedback are always welcome, and where appropriate myself and the other moderators will refer ideas to Daniel ourselves- as I have done in this case. Aside from that, I'm fairly constrained in my own capabilities here.

22. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

I'm not blaming you and never was. I know this isn't a big deal, but when I'm attacked by other posters (not Banzai) for making a statement as simple as "the problem should be fixed", I feel the need to defend myself, so I do so. Sorry if it seemed accusatory, but that wasn't my intention.

Daniel is the site owner/administrator, etc. The job is still self-made, and the title still chosen. My point in stating this was only to counter someone else's comment that it would be difficult to change the symbol. I still say there's no harm in asking for the change even if it might not happen.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

to all...
    it has been asked for here... and, as noted above, the question has been raised and asked before this thread, as well...

so, one must assume that the founder/operator/owner of the site doesn't feel it's a major need and/or worth the time and trouble it would take to change it...

that's the bottom line here... daniel performs a great service for all of you by doing this... he doesn't make any money at it, he spends money on it... all for your benefit... so be big enough to accept one small, niggling 'flaw' and for heaven's sake, just be grateful for what this one young man has been doing for aspiring writers of all ages, for years now... and pray he'll continue to do so...

i've been helping writers on writing sites for a decade and this is still by far the best one i've ever come across... daniel made it that and he keeps it that way... so give him praise and gratitude for his efforts, not repeated carping about things he either can't, or can't afford to change to your liking...

or else go start your own site and design it any way you like... then you can deal with the few who want it done differently here and there...

24. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

I am grateful. This is a small suggestion for a small problem that would require a small fix. There's still no harm in asking for a change, and it's still up to him. You all seem to think I'm some kind of self-centered menace, but that's just not the case. In reality, it feels as though a suggestion can not be made without someone biting someone else's head off. I don't enjoy having my head bitten off, so I sometimes take a more defensive stand than I should. If I have done so in this thread, I apologize.

The truth of the matter is that in the past I have had a variety of confrontations, and in the course of these, a few individuals seem to have decided that my opinion should never be listened to, even though the issues often have nothing to do with those. For this reason, I get a little sensitive when my comments are questioned, and tend to push for things that aren't a big deal. But it's all generated from the fact that this site can be, quite frankly, rather hostile to suggestions and feedback. Yes, yes, I'm sure you're all having a knee jerk reaction: of course SHE'D say that, there's no way this site is REALLY hostile to suggestions & feedback. Yeah...well, I can think of a variety of threads with actual constructive suggestions that currently seem to be missing.

I have nothing to say to you, maia, except that ... is not a substitute for a period and sentences and names are capitalized. It's good of you to help writers though...keep instructing them on the proper methods of grammar...great job

25. Banzai

Alright, enough of this.

Jo, I'm sorry you feel ignored or put upon. Certainly, regardless of what we have made of previous suggestions you have made, the mod staff clearly don't dismiss everything you say, as I have (as I've already mentioned) agreed with this suggestion and forwarded it to Daniel. Although you don't believe it, the mod staff take all suggestions at face value, and give them due consideration. Where we're liable to get a bit miffed is when the same ideas that we have rejected (and explained why we've rejected) keep coming back at us again and again from the same people.

I don't expect you to believe me that we consider your suggestions, but the discussion on this particular point needs to end (and I hope you can see that too). A decision has been come to, and it has been acted upon. This goes for everyone. Discussing the same point over and over again tends to result in ill-feeling, and certainly gives me an irritating sense of deja vu. I'm willing to allow it to a degree, but the tone seems to be descending into the insulting (and again, not pointing fingers, just making a general comment as to the tone).

It is for this reason that I've chosen to close this thread. I'm not quashing the idea, just the potential for ugly (and pointless) disagreement over it. I promise to update as soon as I have anything to update on.