1. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

The Best Book You've Ever Read

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Night Haunter, Jul 22, 2007.

Whats the best book you've ever read and why. what made it your favourite book to date and what made you buy it?

2. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

Currently Falmouth Uni, normal home is in Essex.
    Roald Dahl: Danny the champion of the world. My favorite all time book, got me into reading more often too. I dont know what it was about the book, it just caught me really.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

4. online.education

online.education New Member

Les Misérables

I have less than 200 pages left to read and this will be my favorite book to date.

Reason 1: It's about history, it's about philosophy, it's about architecture and it's about many other things. This novel is in a totally different league ...

Reason 2: Character development. Characters are really alive and you feel attached to them, even though some of them aren't exactly saintly ...

Reason 3: With all this complexity, the novel is so well structured ...

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton for its unabound use of imagination and creativity.

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    The Phantom Tollbooth. The best children's book ever.

7. dushechka

dushechka New Member

(Wasn't sure if I should post in this thread or the other, but I figured might as well do it here..)

Best ever? Currently Johnny Got His Gun, close seconds would be Nineteen Eighty Four, I Am Legend, and Slaughterhouse Five.

Why? It made a huge impact on me, my way of thinking, everything. I love anti-war novels and their effects on people, not to mention the twisted way it ended. It felt human. And that's all I want from a book.

I haven't bought it yet, though I read it from the Library because it was on a list of anti-war novels/banned books.

8. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

My favorite book ever? This is actually quite difficult. I'm a huge fan of the classics, but also love the lesser known works as well...hmm.

I really enjoyed a book called Saint Iggy.This book dealt with several elicit topics but the author portrayed them with such poetry that they didn't seem so bad after all. And I love the transformation the character undergoes. It's a quick read, and I reccommend everyone to go snag it from the library or the bookstore. ;)

9. DivineLemon

DivineLemon New Member

I have two that I can not choose between.

1. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

2. Deception Point by Dan Brown

Dan Brown takes such time to write his books. So much research and thought goes into a single paragraph. His plots are unbelievable and so realistic. I have issues putting any of his books down once I have started them.

10. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

Oh yes, the entire Twilight series is wonderful! I can't wait until Eclipse is released! :D

11. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

I think these are my prefered reads:

Nineteen-Eighty Four
    Starship Troopers
    Shadows of the Empire

That about covers it.

12. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

'Hacked' was nice. That's all. Toooo picky + hardly read.

13. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I'll add my sixtytwelve cents in herejust cuz:

BEST BOOK EVARRR: American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    Runners-Up: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling and A Dirty Job by Terry Pratchett

BEST SERIES EVARRRR: The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
    Runners up: The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud and The Hitchhiker's Trilogy by Douglas Adams (All five of them.)

BEST AUTHOR EVARRRR:Terry Pratchett
    Runners up: Neil Gaiman, Christopher Moore, Douglas Adams, JK Rowling, Diane Duane, Jonathan Stroud, the list goes on...

14. luke_mushu_2010

luke_mushu_2010 New Member

I'm not big on reading books, but my favorite book of all time has to be Silent Bob Speaks:The Collective Writings of Kevin Smith I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith, so that's probably the only reason I bought it. I'm also a fan of the Hank The Cowdog series, lol.(Don't judge me, I'm only 15.)

15. DivineLemon

DivineLemon New Member

Oh my! I used to love hank the cowdog! Gosh I have not seen those around for quite some time.

16. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Oh geez, Hank! I loved those books!
    =;D
    Unenchanted Forest FTW.

17. SB108

SB108 New Member

"Deathhunter", Ian Watson.

Lal is a great character. Very funny too, esecially when he is trying to decide on a name for himself.

18. Facetious Toast

Facetious Toast New Member

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. Beautifully told story showing two mens path to enlightenment one through art and nature while the other one through science and logic.

19. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Best book? Well, I love reading series of books for some reason. I love the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K Hamilton, the Black Jewels Trilogy, can't quite remember the auther, think it's Anne Bishop but not sure, James Patterson is bloody awsome in his Alex Cross novels, his series about lab experiment kids Max is one of the characters.. (damn I miss my bookshelf!) And the latest books I like is the Dark Heavens Trilogy by Kylie Kwong! Phew....

20. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

My favorite book is White Oleander by Janet Fitch.

Why? Because I used to be her. I used to be Astrid. Maybe in a slightly different sense, but I had the same thoughts and the same issues. Plus, the book was incredibly well-written, and it had such an amazing voice to it.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Johnny Got His Gun - It's a fantastic, dark, disterbing and terrifying novel about the horrors of war, told from a man who has lost his arms, legs, eyes, nose and mouth in a bomb blast in WW1 about discribes his slow slip into maddness. Unforgetable, as is the Black and White film.

1984 - Fantastic and dark fantisy from the best polical writer of our time, where can you go wrong? This novel scared me sh*tless when I first read it.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - One of the world's first Epics... brilliant story that is older than the new testiment.

The Call of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft was the best!

22. dushechka

dushechka New Member

You totally copied me! ; )

I haven't read a novel in a really long time (I've been sticking to history books..) but Doctor Zhivago - Pasternak is beginning to be quite a favorite..

23. wordweaver

wordweaver New Member

The one sitting on top of the huge pile of favorites would have to be LOTR. I've read it about 5-6 times now, and will most likely read it again. Tolkien is the God of fantasy!

My favorite series, A Song of Fire and Ice, by George RR Martin. The first book, A Game of Thrones, just pulled me right in and I'm impatiently waiting for the next book. *strumming fingers* (Book # 4 I think... I'd have to look.)

Apparently they are making it into an HBO mini-series in 2008! I really, really hope they don't botch it, it would be terribly sad to see it hacked by cheap special-effects, and B rated actors...

24. Montag

Montag New Member

That was a good book, I liket it alot too when I was a kid.

25. writer_creativewriting

writer_creativewriting New Member

The Historian, a fantastic book. I read a review it received on Amazon the other day and it's tainted my feelings a bit, mentioning it was a piece of work where they author had tried to include everything she'd ever found out about vampires, so it became more of a book of 'blagging', however I still think it's fantastic, and the old bookish, Oxford University feel it has is amazing. A must read (and I'm not even in to vampire tales!)