Tags:
  1. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

A Short History of Decay by Cioran

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Teladan, Jul 26, 2020.

Hello. May I ask if anyone here has read this philosophical work? I'm a fan of the Cynics and I love their scathing, pessimistic attitude mixed with an unbeatable optimism. Cioran's book seems perfect for me, yet I'm hesitant. This isn't because I fear the apothegms will be too dark (which they evidently are), it's that I'm not convinced the book will be anything more than juvenile nihilism. I want something more than, "Oh, isn't life shit?" I suppose there's nothing intrinsically wrong with reading a philosopher's work, disagreeing with it, and taking what good one can out of it, but I'm not the type to read something I know I'm not going to like. It's a tricky one, however, as I know he discusses many topics I'm passionate about, e.g. anti-natalism and the deconstruction of humanocentrism.

Any thoughts for those who've read him?