1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Reinventing the Wheel

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Cacian, Nov 23, 2011.

sometimes I try and figure out plots to use in my stories with the idea of beating routine out of the way.
    what I mean is that I try and avoid to be another story on the shelf.
    so whilst it is good and well to want to write because you have to, researching ideas and taking time to cross examine or even braisntorm ideas with fellow writers quite refreshing.

would you say that writers like Lewis Carrol uses both Fiction and non Fiction in his writing?
    do you mix genres/prose/poetry/concepts to write whole story?

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Are you asking whether he put his real life events into it or if he just made it all up? He died over 100 years ago. I highly doubt anyone has that sort of knowledge; unless you can get your hands on his entire works in an edition that adds in letters he wrote and essays and such. Other than that, I'd say he made most of it up.

I am seriously struggling to understand this question. You're trying to ask about three different unrelated things (three, being that prose and poetry are opposites and are therefore related) all at once.
    Yes, most writers mix genres and concepts, and some writer mix prose and poetry.
    All writers mix either genres and prose or genres and poetry.

What kind of answer were you expecting from that question? It's really kind of straight forward.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Ok it is not difficult.
    You do not need to knwo someone's entire life story to be able to tell what Lewis Caroll used for style to write .
    If you look at his work , let's say Alice in Wonderland, you straight away think that it is a cross between fiction and reality.
    So that would be one genre of its own, a combination of everything if you like.
    Then if you look at the SNARK you would say it is a cross between reality and fiction again but with a panache of made up words here and there and everywhere that some would refer to as neologism.

so my thread was asking wether you do cross genre when you write to or do you stick with one style all the way through.
    and finally which would be or is better?
    lots of members, not from here, I know get annoyed when they read a piece and do not understand some made up words .
    It happenes to me all the time. I cross genre and I make up words and lots of readers do not understand it and I am guessing do not like it either.

4. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I know when I'm picking a book out to read... I'm not looking to be surprised by a genre combination that I've never seen before. I know what type of books I like reading, and it's usually the mystery/suspense type. It doesn't mean every story I read will be dull and boring. It's possible to have a story defined by a set of known criteria and still have enough wiggle room to make for interesting plot twists and character development.

5. Acid001

Acid001 New Member

I think you're confusing fiction with fantasy. None, absolutely none of Alice In Wonderland's plot elements are non-fiction. For the most part it's a fantasy setting, but there are also sections reminiscent of "reality", as you put it. No doubt there are elements which were inspired by Caroll's own life - every writer does that - but that doesn't make it non-fiction either.

If something is non-fiction, it is entirely based in fact. Journalism, essays, that kind of thing.

6. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

The Tasmanian speaks truth. I think, Cacian, that you need to think about what you're trying to say before you post these threads. Make sure you actually understand the words you're using so that we can understand the questions you're asking.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

well put, cruci... ditto that...