1. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

A very simple question

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by dannyboy, May 17, 2011.

Hi,

Just wanted to know If I can use the word little for my character and his age is 15.... Little Daniel.... I felt I could use it coz teens are also childish in a way and wondering if it will sound correct, if I do so.

Thanks

Daniel

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

You can use whatever you want. I have a 36 year old cousin called Little Jimmy because his dad is Jimmy as well. I don't think it matters.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can use it if you want. I'd be most inclined to use it for a kid who is larger than all his classmates,

By the way, you might want to consider giving your threads titles that give people an idea of what you are asking. You might get more answers that way.

4. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

I know what you are talking about will ensure that in future...

Thanks

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It depends - if his grandma calls him that out of endearment, or if his friends do in a teasing way (if he's actually bulky and beefy, or if he's scrawny and annoyed by it), then it's perfectly normal. But no 15-year-old is going to go around introducing himself as "Little Daniel." Unless he's a rapper and goes by Lil' Dan or something.

6. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I find nothing wrong with using "Little Danny". I find it as a nickname per se. I know of a lot of adults using names such as this. There is honestly no matter in the age.

7. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

"Little" could be a term of endearment or an insult. It depends on which this is and how your character feels about it.

8. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

In this age when people are naming their kids, Apple, Moroccan, Kal-El, Zenick, etc., I can very easily see someone naming their child Little.

9. Kio

Kio New Member

KAL-EL?? F'REAL?? Darn, now I have to look for new nerdy names for my kid.

Is the name Little Daniel just a nickname or is it actually his name? If it's a nickname, go ahead by all means. If 'Little' is his first name and 'Daniel his last then I can only imagine the kid growing up being teased.

10. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

Classic example: Little John from Robin Hood. "Little" can be a monicker for a multitude of reasons. There's never anything wrong with giving nicknames to your characters.

11. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Thanks a lot for all the responses so far It looks like I can go ahead and use the Title Little.... As its going to be used as a dearish or lovable way of calling my character... I'm so happy about this... My character being and Anglo-Indian will also have people who are Indians calling him "Chellam" which means dearest, loveable and so on like Little in English if used in the lovable way....

Thanks guys......