1. 0---TY---0

0---TY---0 New Member

Planned Writing

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by 0---TY---0, May 29, 2010.

I'm somewhat... confused on this.

I mean, I am good at writing, but all I have managed ever was to write a few little snippets of something, or just come up with a whole slew of characters and how they fit with each other.

My problem is, I have too many character ideas right now and nothing more. I want to start building on them and creating a book. Yet, I seem to be at a loss for how, I mean, how do I start?

Do I plan out every little step before I take it? Or do I just start writing and see what happens?

Is there a happy medium here? If so, what is it?

These are the questions I hope you guys will aid me in answering!

Thanks in advance.

2. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

I would say that you should have a rough idea where you're going, but be willing for that idea to evolve and change as you write. Maybe something that seemed good at first will end up not sounding great when you're writing, or you might come up with an idea that you had never thought of until a certain section of the book. Be open to changes.

It sounds like you're stalling yourself by thinking too much about planning. I know about that because I've been guilty of the same thing. There are numerous stories I've planned in-depth, but haven't gotten around to writing yet.

3. squire848

squire848 New Member

Forget the planning. If you have some characters ready choose your favourite one. Wjat are they into, what do they do and who are in their lives?

Where are they going in life right now? There's no point having characters who have no life. Give him/her a life and a story will grow. Remember things can always be revised.

Good Luck

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you need more than characters... you need a story!... so, think up a storyline/plot first, then people it with your characters...

5. Judgment Corbeau

Judgment Corbeau New Member

I've often asked myself and others that same exact question and the answer always comes down to what do you prefer.

Most professors I've asked say they just start writing, though I believe this is a simplified statement and they really mean they form character ideas and story ideas and start writing to see where the ideas take them.

On the other end of the spectrum most of the "writing help" books I've read advise to structure a story and characters out first. Index cards are a favorite for plot formation and scene selection, providing the ability to move the story around in real space to gauge events, flow, and timing. However, this is also simplified and each book tries to blend creative freedom with the structuring process.

My experience is when ever I plan something, plot or characters, as soon as I begin writing the unexpected happens. I'm constantly surprised at the depth of character that comes through or the turn of events that I never imagined while prepping for the story. I've come to describe it as "every story is it's own story" and the story will essentially write itself. There always come a time when you need to have faith in the story itself as well as yourself.

My advice, do both until you find your groove. Write a brief with no expectations and then turn that brief into a character sheet, plot diagram, etc. Then do the opposite; do some story prep work and then write from it. Eventually you'll find what you're comfortable with, probably a little of both, and then just go with it!