1. PlotDeviceManager

PlotDeviceManager New Member

A Wide Open Blog Question

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by PlotDeviceManager, Dec 31, 2012.

Hi, hi, everyone! Happy New Year!

This is a question I've wanted to ask for a long time, but I'm sort of afraid to because I don't know that I'm asking the right question or if I'm asking in the right place.

But here goes.

I have been writing short stories and a "novel-in-pieces" for some time now. I would like to consolidate and publish these works on a blog. I want it to be free (for everyone AND me) and easily accessable. Really I just want a place where my writing will stand on the internet for anyone to access. I'm not looking to make money from it, but hopefully, if I keep fresh content coming and keep things well-organized, it will be a starting point for my career.

This idea came to me after reading that line in every help wanted ad ever, the line we all recognize - "Some Experience Required". It seems that these days "Entry-Level" is a naughty word. From that, the idea for this blog was created. I will create my own entry level.

In a roundabout way, I'm simply asking what everyone thinks about this idea. The general layout will be short stories and "chapters" to a longer novel-esque type of story.

So, do you really think I can pull this off, if I work hard enough? Is it an exercise in futility or something worth pursuing? Would you suscribe to a free fiction blog if you liked the content you found there? Any advice as to how to make my dreams come true?

Thanks in advance. I have never been let down by the folks at WritingForums, so I'm really on pins and needles to see what you all think of this.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your choice is to publish your writing on a blog, or to publish it therough traditional channels. You can't have it both ways, so if you have any interest in publishing any of your pieces, keep them off the blog.

Having said that, a writing blog is not a bad idea. It makes some sense to start it after your first piece is accepted, though, rather than before. If you are advertising yourself as a writer, you really don't want to broadcast what you produce before your writing has matured. When you are a published author, your writing blog can feature book signings and notes on your writing process. That is also a good time to post flash fiction featuring some of your characters, but be careful about hinting at furture novels or shorts before they have been accepted. It's embarrassing, to say the least, to raise a lot of hype about a book if it never gets accepted, It looks unprofessional.

Look at blogs and web sites by authors you admire for inspiration.

Personally, I don't follow the blogs of any authors. I have other matters to keep me busy. But I do refer to author blogs when I am looking for news on upcoming or past works by an author.

3. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Hi, PlotDeviceManager.

I think it's a great idea!

For one thing since you'll feel compelled to keep your blog updated it might provide motivation to write more often. However the real trick is finding people to actually read your blog. If you succeed I believe you'll have generated the credibility you're after to launch a paid career. If you fail, nobody will really notice.

I do feel it will be difficult to find an audience... they won't just beat your door down. It'll be an exercise in social networking and self-promotion. Spread your site to all your friends and constantly make new friends. If you succeed and get readers numbering in the thousands I can just about guarantee you'll make most any prospective employer's eyes light up.

4. Perplexity

Perplexity New Member

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Mindlessly clicking into this thread, I struck gold. I actually had this idea a while back and then became too apprehensive of putting my work on the internet. This is a great idea and I think it could start a fad for authors who are just getting off the ground!

Who knows, I do need motivation to write and something similar to this may just work!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU SIR!

5. PlotDeviceManager

Hey guys. Great news! The blog name has been claimed! And it is most DEFINITELY helping to keep me motivated. I have written every day since I started (Jan 1). In a few weeks, I'll open it to the public.

Perplexity - You should definitely try this as well. Who knows, once we get up and running, maybe we can share our audience!

Good Luck to us all!

6. radnommandess

radnommandess New Member

I think it is a really good idea. A friend of mine who has had a few books published also recommended doing this recently. Thoug keep your best stuff off your bg because publishers are interested in first rights. Which you will lose as soon as you put it on line. Having a blog is a particularly good idea if you are looking at e-publishing if you have a link to your blog people can have a look and if they like the stuff on your blog are more likely to buy your e-book.

7. PlotDeviceManager

Agreed, Rad (can I call you Rad?) I was thinking that besides being a good place for some of my work and such, its sort of a good place to run my platform (me as my product) with links to my books, e-books, tours and all the lovely things super famous awesome writers have.

Ah, to dream . . .

8. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

That's great to hear!

9. Anielle

Anielle New Member

There's a steampunk writer I know who publishes some works on her blog but she also self publishes on e-readers. You can do both having free access for some pieces and published for purchase, I just wouldn't put an outrageous price keep it around $2-10 depending on how much you feel you should charge if you choose to publish some for readers to buy. My steampunk writer friend will post some excerpts from her purchasable books to intrigue her blog followers and its turned out to be pretty successful for her.