1. agonized yeti11

agonized yeti11 New Member

A Work of Journalism

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by agonized yeti11, May 17, 2010.

Hi there,

Over the summer I plan on writing a story on corporate take overs of public facilities, specifically schools but I will be mentioning other things.

I do this because my cousin, who is a junior in high school, informed me of her school districts attempt at closing down 3 of the schools, and that one of the options was to mitigate management to a privately run company.

Interested, I started researching things like this. I couldn't find any instances recently, but I did uncover charter schools. They basically are privately funded, but publicly owned schools, a middle ground between federally controlled and privately controlled.

Basically I will be talking about how this is yet another notch on the corporate belt in America.

Also I ordered Youth in a Suspect Society by Henry Giroux, which I feel will help me in my endeavor.

If you have any comments, questions, or any kind of feedback that you think could help me, it would be appreciated greatly :D

2. Brandon_Trotter

Brandon_Trotter New Member

I am Interested

I think this would be great to read. I do not know if this is a probelm in Canada. I know we have private school but, they are mostly for religious people most of the school that ive seen around here are Public. I hope to here about this. well your researching this could you tell me if you find anything in regrads to Canadain schools being bought ? There was a instance a few years back where a school was closed down and the kids had to be dispersed to other schools. I think the reason behind that was the school was realy old and small not that someone had bought it. I do not know what they are doing with the land it is on so perhaps someone did buy it... anyways I hope to hear about this.

3. agonized yeti11

agonized yeti11 New Member

So far I haven't come up with anything new, but that is very interesting. I have contacted Henry Giroux, author of Youth in a Suspect Society, who is a professor at a Canadian University, McMaster University I think. So if I do grab an interview with him, I'll be sure the pose that question :)

4. Brandon_Trotter

Brandon_Trotter New Member

Thank you. I hope you get your interview. Perhaps looking through local newpaper archieves may help you in your search.