1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

A Gift... and a curse?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Mjolnir, Jan 14, 2011.

This is just sort of a random thought, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. I love a good action scene, fight scenes in particular, and I love to write them. I write them detailed, descriptive and dramatic. I almost always get positive feedback on them. The problem is in my last few stories the only positive feedback was for the action scenes with no feedback either way on plot, character, setting, etc... I couldn't see anything wrong with those aspects, its just that my readers didn't seem to notice them. I'm wondering if it's possible that my strong point is also a weak point. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Who are your readers - are they fellow writers? Do they understand plot, character development? Or are they just bothered about a being able to enjoy good story and have no interest in the dynamics of story building.
    If they enjoyed the story overall then you've probably done a good job.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree if there was something so bad about the other elements you would have been told. This is where reviewing pieces in here helps, it builds up your own skills. Then if you put the piece down work on other things THEN come back to it you can review it more objectively.