1. ElijaMayow

ElijaMayow New Member

A young Somali ambitious writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ElijaMayow, Apr 4, 2017.

Hello everyone,
    My name is Abdulaziz but I'd rather you calling me Elija. I turned 19 less than a month ago. I love novels so much. I was introduced to this world by my brother who is one year younger than me. Actually, he is not a reader. He had an assignment at school. He was supposed to summarize a novel. He didn't know what to do. He asked me to do it for him. That was the first time I held a novel in my hands. I asked him when he needs it and he said a week. I accepted the challenge, though it was not a challenge. But anyway, I started reading it and it felt SENSATIONALLY ENGAGING AND AMAZING. Now, I have read 14 novels during the past 8 months and "A thousand splendid suns' by Khalid Husseini is my 15th right now. When I started reading it a week ago, I decided i write a novel. I know I have no experience, I know I should start writing short stories first or whatever but the idea I have in my mind is much more bigger than those stuff. I don't care if it takes me 10 years to really master writing this novel but I will finish it and I am 110% sure because for the sixth day when I start the two hours session of typing on my laptop listening to music, it just feels SATISFYING.
    I need a person who I can exchange my writings with so that they can advise me. I really need this ! Thanks!

Elija

2. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Hey--welcome to the forum. Can I ask what that first book you read was, that felt so engaging? And do you know what you want to write about (I know that's a big question...)?

3. ElijaMayow

ElijaMayow New Member

Hi Robert,
    The first book was "Behind the beautiful forevers" by Katherine Boo.
    As a Somali, I would definitely write about Somalia. I am actually writing it. It's a fiction but mostly inspired by the 8 months I have spent in my home town Mogadishu in Somalia. I've developed a general idea and I have already started drafting it. To make it short, the main character will be a young Somali who is 19 along with his older brother who has an Autism but due to illiteracy and false religious education, people think of him as a wicked soul. And also their mother who delivered her first son when she was 16 and the second when he was 17. I'll discuss the main character's life up to the day he dies on a car bomb. I hope that answers that really BIG question !

And before I forget, Thank you for stopping by Robert!

4. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

Hi there! What a wonderful story behind the beginning of your writing! Don't worry about what you should or shouldn't do right now; simply enjoy writing, as much as you desire. There is no right way. The art of writing is a huge world with many wonders and pieces of wisdom that will constantly keep you growing. You will find there is lots of room to experiment in and even more to experiment with. You will try many different paths and eventually you will find one that is just right for you. I hope your story takes good form in time, it sounds very interesting and something I would personally very much like to read.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is a great novel! I enjoyed reading it far more than I did The Kite Runner. Welcome to the forums!

5. ElijaMayow

ElijaMayow New Member

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm eager to go on that road and find my own path.
    I really so much adored The Kite Runner because it changed the way i was stereotyping Afghanistan! A thousand splendid suns is really amazing and I'm still in the middle of the story but The Kite Runner will always be special to me because breaking stereotypes is the element that I would like to adapt in my own writings.

Thanks again Orihalcon!

6. MelimeliDev

MelimeliDev New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Love your enthusiasm for novels. The premise of your story seems really interesting, hope we'll see more of it.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Elija! :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start Guide to get you started.
    I love the story behind how you decided to become a writer. Best of luck with your first story, and if we can be of any help, don't hesitate to start a thread and ask questions. :)

Later,

Kat

8. ElijaMayow

ElijaMayow New Member

Thanks! I hope I see more of it as well!

9. ElijaMayow

ElijaMayow New Member

Thank you!!

10. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Welcome.

11. Soapbox

Soapbox Member

What an inspiring story, Elija!