1. urban_rae

urban_rae New Member

Thankful for WF

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by urban_rae, Nov 23, 2011.

As the holiday approaches, and I reflect on all that I am grateful for, I find that the thing I am most grateful for is WF.

I have only been a member for a few short months, but it truly has been a life changing experience. I came here, shy and awkward… oh, wait, I still am. But now feel empowered and inspired. My writing has improved. I’ve learned. I’ve gotten over (some) fears. I’ve conquered anxieties. If I hadn’t found this site, I would have given up.

I recently turned down an opportunity to return to school for an MFA in Creative Writing Prose. I thought I had made the worst decision of my life. But I just couldn’t take on more student loan debt. I decided to learn creative writing on my own, I figured I had enough experience to be able to teach myself. Arrogant, some said. Fiscally responsible, said others. But in either case, the decision was made.

I struggled and toiled on my own. Worked at it relentlessly. Unsure. Discouraged. Until I found this site. I realize now, that although writing is a solitary job, you need a community to work in. You need help and support from others. You need to know that you are not alone in your struggles. You need to know how important it is to share your work and to think critically about other works. You need to be inspired by others. You need feedback and encouragement. And most importantly, you need to know that you will get better.

I write everyday now. I’m involved in the community. I produce new work. I edit… I feel like a writer. I could never have come this far, this quickly, without this site. So this year, I am truly grateful to WF. The owner, developers, moderators, participants, and everyone else who makes this site what it is. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Awww shucks! :redface:

Well I'm very glad you've found this place helpful! :)