Abortion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Frost, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

We should be worried about over-population - our water resources are severely lacking. However, such a scheme is not suitable for this country, particularly since there are ways we can prevent our current problems. Urban sprawl should be a main focus, alongside water.

2. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I agree, I'm all for the initiative. However, I think $5000 is a bit much.

3. want2playwithurevilinside

want2playwithurevilinside New Member

can i just say.
    Some people are driven by religion and it makes them do things that, yes they believe and may be right.
    Sometimes tho you have to think of the 'right' thing morally and logically.
    Someone having a child at 15 has just ruined their life.
    On the other hand abortion isn't a great thing to have happen to someone, and it also is partly her fault.
    But again: main point = It's down to religion vs future.. i would call it logic but i feel some people may be offended by that.
    I think she should have an abortion, but i am a 16 year old girl, if that happened to me i would have one. Tho it would be my choice and stupidity that got me there. I just wouldn't want the rest of my life in jeapordy for one mistake... No matter what anyones religion says, i'd rather live a full life.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're wise beyond your years, sweetieheart!... now just hold that thought and when you think you're 'in love' and sex rears its ugly head, just say 'no, thanks, not yet!'...

or at least go on the pill first, 'cause believe me, anything else is only 98% effective at best, and someone has to help make up that other 2%... i know, 'cause i was one of 'em... twice! ... after 3 babies in less than 3 years, i was beyond religious about being 'careful' and still ended up with 5 in less than 5 years!

if you want the real skinny on love, sex & kids, check this out:
    Says Mom - Writing Content

love and hugs, maia

5. Chris D

Chris D New Member

A fetus is not a human.

A human is someone who:

• Is aware of their existance.
    • Posses memory.
    • Has a dynamic system of behavior, always chaning with memory.
    • Has the means to percieve(desern between sensory objects) ( not simply sense ) information regarding their enviroment; fetuses lack perceptial faculties.
    • Ability to wilfuly eat or drink
    • Ability to think ( posseses conscisciousness )

Fetuses are living organisms who lack the symptoms nessacary to for the diagnosis of the human condition; they are about to enter the human race, but currently haven't, so they are excluded from it.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree that the definition of human can vary, and that variation is by itself sufficient reason that abortion should not be legislated.

However, I fear your definition is a bit too restrictive. With that definition, anyone could slaughter an Alzheimers patient, coma victim,or someone severely developmentally disabled without ever being charged with murder.

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Abortion is just a way to rationalize murder, if you ask me.
    I would say, "Whatever, do what you want with your life," only it isn't.
    Also, the best cure for unwanted babies is a condom or better yet, waiting to have sex. If you messed-up, don't take it out on the little amigo by killing 'em.

8. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Us guys? Umm... I think you might have my sex a little confused there actually. When I have a baby, which my female body should be quite capable of doing then I will make those decisions thank you.

Well not having a girlfriend or wife... seeing as I have a boyfriend, then they wouldn't be making any decisions. If I didn't believe that my boyfriend should be allowed a say in those decisions then I wouldn't have said what I did.

If I got pregnant, and didn't want to take care of the baby but my boyfriend did then I wouldn't abort the baby until it had been discussed and if my boyfriend was adamant about keeping the baby and able to support and raise it then I wouldn't be able to go through with an abortion knowing that I was destroying a life when it didn't need to be done.

You make it sound like the men have no role whatsoever in the birth of a child. If us women are willing to demand child support, demand that a father be there for us when a child is born etc then we should admit that they have a right to the child aswell.

Men do have the risk of pregnancy as well, whilst they may not have to physically carry the baby, the baby would be their responsibility as well.

We all moan about the "irresponsible" men that don't support woman that they got pregnant, but whilst talking about abortion too many of us are more than happy to say that the man has no say. How is that fair?

Exactly what I was getting at, the woman's body may be her own but the life inside of her does not belong to her alone. Perhaps not even at all - can we own a life?

Again a point that I agree with. Yes, it can be argued that many of these children grow up without being adopted and live disfunctional lives etc. However, the fact is that there are thousands of women who can't have a child and a young baby would be snapped up by them because it could be raised as their own, whereas adopting a teenager... the same bonds take longer to form and sometimes don't develop in the same way.

Instead of spending so much time arguing about abortion we should focus on improving the process of adoption. Whilst thorough checks do need to be carried out because unfortunately there are those out there who would abuse the child, or be unable to care for the child that they wish to adopt, these checks should be done more efficiently and more quickly.

In the case of pregnant women who know that they are definitely going to give their child up for adoption then potential families could be lined up before the baby is born so that with very little time after the birth a family can be contacted and the baby handed over smoothly.

Most definately.

I hate it when people have that kind of attitude. People automatically look at a young mother and think "She didn't use protection". Wrong. Plenty of people - young and older - get pregnant whilst using protection.

Take the two most common methods:

Pill - People do get pregnant whilst on the pill, and its not always because they forget to take a pill or don't use it effectively. Even when used exactly as prescribed, accidents happen. Nothing is 100% effective.

Condoms - People can get pregnant whilst using a condom. They split, they can spill etc... its not 100% effective.

People do try and take precautions but they don't always work. Its silly to assume that everyone will just abstain from sex, they won't. Whether they should or not is irrelevant, it is a fact that many people will not do it.

Which just makes my last point all the more relevant. If you know that contraception isn't 100% effective then stop assuming that teenagers haven't used any.

1 person likes this.
  9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

AMEN to everything you just said Kit.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

^what she said.

And oh yeah, use protection? What about those women and girls that get raped and fall pregnant through such horrific means? Maybe they DON'T have a choice at all.

11. Kit

Another point that I completely missed. People that get raped don't tend to have a choice at all, is it their fault that they fall pregnant?

On a side note, I remember a case that I was reading about a long time ago, where a woman begged her attacker to wear a condom and he did. Later, in court her request was interpretted as her consent or something along those lines and he was actually found not guilty.

12. Torana

Actually there are those of us that aren't able to use protection either. Well not pills and all that. For a number of different reasons.

Look simple fact is if you spread your legs you may get protection and if a guy is going to slip it in he may just become a father. Accept responsibilty for your actions. The world don't smell lilke roses all the time. It gets hard deal with it.

If you want sex then you have to realise that sex is what makes babies and so by having sex you accept that you may fall pregnant. If you don't want babies then remain a damn virgin for crying out loud.

If you get raped then that is different and medical problems then yeah fine. But you wanna spread your legs and the guy wants to slip it in then you both accept that you may fall pregnant and you should grow up and learn to accept that. Stopp blaming an innocent life for ****ing things up all the time and realise that you messed up and you have to live with that and give the child every chance there is to live.

Now that is all I've to say on the matter. Abortions should be illegal as far as I am concerned. You have heard exactly what I have been wanting to say since this thread opened and now I have said it and that is that!!!!!!!

13. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I believe maia meant 'guys' in the non-gender specific way. So, you're basically echoing what she said - if the scenario arises, you will have to do what you believe is best.

maia was actually speaking to guys this time. What was basically stated is: guys shouldn't be able to control what ultimately happens with the pregnancy, as it is the mother that must conceive the child.

maia was saying that the decision is your choice; if that's the way you feel, then so be it. However, if you felt as though you still did not want to have the baby for whatever reason, that should also be your option, and yours alone.

I'll let you two sort that one out.

Use both, not much more work, and the chance should be infinitesimal in comparison. If a condom does happen to break, the couple could also try emergency contraceptive if available (usually by prescription). However, nothing is perfect, and there will still remain a sliver of a change. In the case of shadowtiger, where she is unable to use as many of the most effective forms - live without sex until you're in a much more stable environment. It won't kill you. Believe me, I should know. :p

14. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

There are various uses of protection. If you have sex, use protection. You get the pleasure without children- IN MOST CASES, the best thing is to say no to pressure. You don't have to sleep around to look cool, you just get a reputation as a slut. Then you have kids.

Abortion should be put through courts- a quicker than normal system of course- that include various doctors that allow abortions legally due to violent conception, severe medical reasons and in some cases due to being unable to raise the child due to not being able to provide for the child either financially or mentally.

This is probably where I would agree to an abortion. If there are other reasons other than those as in OOPS! Oh well, I will just get an abortion. It doeasn't matter- Abortion for trivial matters or because a girl was stupid enough to sleep around etc, then it should be illegal.

15. Torana

Amen to that DOZ!

16. adamant

With all those people that repetitively use abortion as a form of birth control, I wonder:

Is it too late to abort them? :)

17. Kit

Well no, she quoted me and then said "you guys" that implies a reference to me. Also, she didn't echo what I said at all, she totally contradicted it and acted as though her opinion is the only opinion to have.

She said men can make the decision when they give birth to the babies... when's that ever going to happen?

Again, she quoted me when "speaking to guys", her comment there was a response to what I said and she followed with a question, wouldn't that imply that she did want my response?

"Yours alone" - that's disagreeing with what I said - which was my opinion, which I am entitled to, just as she is.

Definitely, it barely takes any extra effort but really does make a difference to the chances of getting pregnant. Another option would be to use condoms even if using the pill.

Again, I agree with that or find a method of contraception that you can use. There are a few methods that I wouldn't be able to use, but i'd still find protection that I can use.

18. Torana

LOL I guess we will never know ;)

19. Torana

that reply was for adamant by the way.

And I can't use much in the way of contraception myself. What I can use is not very affective and that is something I have learnt to accept and so I am very careful when it comes to intimate relationships.

You have to sit down and think about it though. You all know sex is how babies are made. So just stop and think long and hard before you go into that kind of relationship and make sure you know what could happen when you do. If it happens be responsible and accept the consequences.

If you think that you are mature enough for sex sit down and think are you mature and responsible enough to have a baby? If the answer is no then you are not mature enough to have sex nor responsible enough to either. Sorry but it is that simple!

20. adamant

The people that usually end up with this problem aren't exactly the ones that are mature enough to sit down and think all of this out I would think.

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So you favor letting the government, in the form of the court system, decide who can and who cannot have an abortion?

I think that's a very bad idea, personally.

22. adamant

Anything involving bureaucracy is bad, or at least made worse...

23. Chris D

Chris D New Member

While you seem to have provide several counter examples there, I can undermine all of them:

1. Alzhemimer's paitents can respond to stimuli ( they are aware);also, Alzhemier's patients do have memories, however asqued they are.

2. Coma victums, although they may have lost a sizable amount of memory, have the ability to respond to stimuli ( it has been proven that people in comas actualy dream ( hence they are responding to stimuli, while also being able to acknowlege the presense of several intermaly produced pieces of information such as a fire hydrant and a lamp post)); also, coma paitents have not lost all of their priorly existing faculties-- some linger, therefore they can relate to past events.

3. Severly disabled individuals have memories-- despite how intelectualy disabled they may be.

A better counter example, that perhaps, I admit, relates to some coma paitents, would be a person who has experianced a cerbrall hemerage.

•Their cerebrum has been damage so severly that is no longer capable of instigating the nessacary chemical reactions to produce that individual.

• Humans define other humans by their expressed behavior, so if their behavior abrubtly changed, or became non-existant or reduced or amplified in certain areas, people might come to say that " they have changed"; but really what they are saying is " they are a diffrent indivdual".

• There is a diffrence between a person, and a biological machine: a person is the general defginition of an organism's behavior, while a biological machine is simply a device that gives rise to a person.

• Individuals typicaly define themselves in two ways: through relitive methods, comparing their abilities to the general population ( a poor superficial method if you ask me); and through there own observable thought patterns. So, if that individual's thought patterns abberate so severly as to never again resemble their privous thought pattenrs, that person is no longer the same individual. This carries significance with a cerebral hemerage suffer: their cerebrum can no longer iniatate the nessacary chemical reactions to produece that individual ( we are not our body's processes, but the ultimate product of all internilized reactions ), and hence no longer exist. Their brains are only functioning as regalatory machines.

• There is a diffrence between a person, and a biological machine: a person is the general defginition of an organism's behavior, while a biological machine is simply a device that gives rise to a person.

• Thus, a person who has suffered severe cerebral hemerage, is no longer a person.

Respond.

24. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Hey Chris, I don't think there's any need to command Cogito to 'respond' :)

25. Klee

Klee New Member

This is ridiculous. At least incorporate some quotes on your responses (or at least atrocious grammar mistakes).

From Wikipedia

Therefore, 'your' definition of a person as " an organism's behavior" is your own opinion, so it holds no more and no less validation than what any other want to think.

Cogito 'interpreted' your definition of what it means to be human, whether or not he agrees is up to him, if he misinterpreted then maybe you should be more clear about it.