1. SutkiKynyR

SutkiKynyR Banned

About Amazon Publishing.

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by SutkiKynyR, Dec 16, 2018.

How many of you are using Amazon Publishing?

Pros and cons?

How is the revenue?

Should novice writer publish via it?

Thanks!

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Amazon has a couple different publishing activities. I suspect you mean self-publishing through Kindle and/or Kindle Unlimited, but possibly you're considering one of their imprints? Can you clarify?

3. SutkiKynyR

SutkiKynyR Banned

I'm talking about the print stuff here.

Sorry to be so unclear.

I'll correct my ways.

4. BayView

"Print stuff" doesn't really clarify.

Are you interested in self-publishing?

5. SutkiKynyR

SutkiKynyR Banned

Well that's what I was talking about.

Does Amazon have any other kind of publishing?

6. BayView

Yes, Amazon also has several imprints that function like regular publishers. But if you're looking at self-publishing...

I don't do that much self-publishing, but I do some. I make a bit of money from it, but generally not as much as I make working with publishers.

But most self-publishers make most of their money from e-books. I assume you'd want e-books in addition to the "print stuff"?

ETA: I've taken a look at your posting so far and suspect you're just trying to pad your post count... so I'll bow out of this thread and suggest you have a look at https://www.writingforums.org/threads/so-you-wrote-a-novel-and-want-to-get-it-published.148510/ for the basic.

7. SutkiKynyR

SutkiKynyR Banned

Well, that's one possibility. But firstly I would be interested about the print stuff.

And thanks for the clarifying the Amazon's publishing thingies. I haven't looked those that much in detail!

I'll look into the link you posted!

Much obliged!

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I realise the OP has been banned (its that time of year again) but for anyone else later coming across this thread if you want to self publish print on amazon you have two choices KDP print and Ingram spark (there are other options like lulu but hardly anyone uses them). Personally I use both KDP for Amazon and Ingram for extended distribution but I'd suggest the first time self publisher just uses KDP

That said Bayview is right that the majority of self publishing income is from ebooks (which on amazon means using KDP to upload/create a mobi file) - I suspect many self publishers have print because it makes the ebook price look more attractive on the product page.

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  9. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

I do it mostly so I can have books on my bookshelf and copies to hand out: for example, there's a 'free library' box at a place where we stop for lunch when driving to and from Edmonton, so I leave copies there when I go by and they're gone by the next time we pass through.

The great thing about print books is that people pass them around to their friends, and some may then buy other books by the same author. That's not true of ebooks, except for pirates.

Any actual print sales are a bonus, but they only account for about 1% of my lifetime writing income.