Tags:
  1. Indigo Abbie

Indigo Abbie Member

Question [Solved] About the Workshop

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Indigo Abbie, Apr 1, 2018.

So I acquainted myself with the Workshop thread in the hopes of being able to post a scene from a story that I have in progress so it could be critiqued. It's a death scene and the "last straw" for my MC. It launches the story into action, thus it is one of the most important scenes that will appear. I assumed it would be best suited for the General Fiction area, however it seems like a lot of the things posted there are complete chapters. Would I have to post the full chapter, or if I were to post the specific scene, what would the appropriate place and title be?

On the other hand, would it be a bad idea to post a scene that appears outside the first chapter without properly introducing people to the story or characters? Honestly, it seems like if the death scene is effective and moves people that really have no preexisting connection to the characters, then it's even stronger. So I'd like to be able to, but if it's not recommended that's all right too.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'd put it under Novels, unless this is an excerpt from a short story, in which case GenFic is probably fine. Title-wise, you could name it 'Excerpt from [story]' or 'Death scene from [whatever]' -- something like that. I have an excerpt up in the workshop myself, actually, and I titled it 'Opinions on [specific thing I wanted outside opinions on in the scene]', so that's another option.

I'm not sure if it's a great idea to post that sort of scene without context, though, to be honest. When I post something I always think "What kind of comments do I want on this?" and I don't think the impact of that type of scene can come through without the context of what's behind it, so you're probably more likely to get comments on SPaG and style. Those can be very helpful too, but if you're looking for feedback on how powerful it is, well, that's kind of hard to judge out of context.

I don't want to discourage you from posting at all, and if it's what you wanna do, then go for it! Just be aware that we can't really get an accurate emotional reading off something that we don't have the emotional baggage on, so that aspect might be pretty hit-or-miss.

Indigo Abbie likes this.
  3. Indigo Abbie

Indigo Abbie Member

Sounds good! This was very helpful and supplied me with all I needed to know. I think I'll continue on cleaning up the drafting I have so far so that I can post the material prior to the death scene as well. It felt like it would be a lot to post, but I thought about it and it's only about two chapters worth of content or about four major scenes.

Thank you. :)

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I don't know how many words you're talking about here, but be careful about posting too long excerpts. We don't have a rule about word limits, but generally speaking the longer the excerpt is the fewer critiques it is likely to get (since critiquing is time consuming and all done by volunteers).
    Good luck! :)

Indigo Abbie likes this.
  5. Indigo Abbie

Indigo Abbie Member

Good call, I'll probably break it up into chapters and separate the posts by a week or two when the time comes.

6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Just don't forget that you have to give 2 critiques to other members for every Workshop thread you want to post. ;)