1. rkadiri

rkadiri New Member

Abstracting services

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by rkadiri, Sep 27, 2013.

Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum. I've joined up to hopefully learn a few things from you guys and gain knowledge regarding publishing industry.
    I need some advice on the abstracting and indexing.
    Can somebody provide me the necessary information on the automated abstraction specific tools.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i might be able to, if you'd explain what they are...

3. rkadiri

rkadiri New Member

Firstly thank you for the response.
    In brief, Abstraction is a concise summary that gives the essential points of book, documents or articles. Abstracts may appear in current journals as articles, papers, reports, conference papers, proceedings etc.

There are various companies such as Scope e-knowledge, getabstract who provide these services but they have their in-house softwares.

I am in search of specific automated softwares that provide abstracts for the documents.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Automating abstracts? Possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't ever choose it over a skilled writer who understands the material being abstracted.

Summarizing concisely and accurately is a skill, and many good writers even struggle with it.

In any case, this is really the wrong site to look for automation to replace writing.

rkadiri likes this.
  5. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

6. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@rkadiri how much do they charge? I'll do.it for you for half the price :D

7. rkadiri

rkadiri New Member

Cogito,
    Thank you for your valuable feedback.
    I am working on a project related to abstraction, in which i need to present information regarding human vs automated abstracts.
    In my project, i need to also discuss regarding automated abstract specific softwares, so i thought 'writing forum' would be good platform to ask my queries.
    Can you suggest me few sites where I can look for automation abstraction related information.

8. mammamaia

since none of us seems to even know what you're referring to, i would think a writing site is not the right place to be asking... i suggest you google what it is you need and go from there...

i just did for this:

and here's what i got:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=Tw#hl=en&q=automated+abstract+specific+softwares

9. rkadiri

rkadiri New Member

mammamaia,
    Firstly, thank you for your time and effort.
    Can you pls mention the forums where I can rise my query regarding abstraction.

10. mammamaia

you can find them by googling for them...

11. BitPoet

BitPoet New Member

Just in case someone comes across this thread and feels awed by the possibilites modern computer software holds: sorry, there is no intelligent book shortening software yet. Creating an abstract from a document means to completely understand the contents. Currently, sematic text analysis (that's what 'understanding a text' is called in computer terms) has reached a state where a single sentence can, sometimes, be interpreted completely right - if it contains enough keywords to make the context in which it is to be understood evident. It is even sometimes possible for software to take an educated guess if two consecutive sentences are related. But anything more complicated brings a regular home computer to its knees. The mathematical complexity of semantic analysis rises exponentially with each added input.

To illustrate that for the lesser geeky among us: if the analysis of a single sentence needs (just a phantasy value) 50000 steps in our computer's central processing unit, which take (equaly made up) 5 seconds to finish, adding a second sentence would square the neccesary steps, thus we'd need to do 50000*50000 steps, giving 2.5 billion steps - yes, that's right, that would equal 250000 seconds, or 2 days, 21 hours, 26 minutes and 40 seconds. Another sentence and our number of steps would be cubic, then we're talking about more than 406 years - forgive me if I'll not do the exact math this time ;) Add sentence number four and we end up with 50000 steps to the power of four, then we're in the region above one billion years. And even if we can optimize current algorithms, take educated guesses about the context, make everything 'cheaper' by ruling out relationships between words of different sentences ahead of time, apply patterns and pre-filter the input, we'll still spend 10000 processing steps, and even with the biggest supercomputer in existence, sentence four will ultimately kill the machine. Or rather keep it from doing anything else for the next few hundred thousand years.