1. Zombie_Chinchilla

Zombie_Chinchilla New Member

Mechanic Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Zombie_Chinchilla, Sep 28, 2010.

So, in the novel I'm working on, one my main characters is a mechanic in a fantasy/steampunk environment. The fact that she is a mechanic plays a big part in the story, and I was wondering- do you think I should research mechanic stuff in order to write it? Should I make it up as I go? Or should I just not mention what she's working on?

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Shuold do some research and get yourself familiar with a engine. That is if you plan to have her talking and working. You could make it up as you go, but mechanics and people familiar with mechanics might be a bit annoyed if you got someting completely off.

So I would suggest that you do research.

3. Quorum1

Quorum1 New Member

I'd say it's always better to research, it will help you get inside her head if nothing else.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Depends - if it's real, do your research.

If it's fantasy, you can get away with making it up, BUT make sure you're consistent! Sloppily done fantasy is never acceptable, esp. when you use "it's just fantasy" as an excuse.

I'm curious, Zombie_C....is your avator inspired by the horror movie Eraserhead?

5. IVIilitarus

IVIilitarus New Member

Good to do your research. Have a few diagrams of engines of the type you're working with nearby. Google does good things. Referring to general parts of an engine like pistons can give the impression that you know stuff, but don't. You can't do that forever, though.

Not mentioning what goes on works if it's a major thingy that you wanna keep secret. If the readers find out that the thing they've been longing to see is mundane, they'll be disappointed.

6. wavodavo

wavodavo Member

Z_C, do you mean by this that her being a mechanic is central to the story because she employs her mechanical skills to resolve the conflict? Or, she's a mechanic in grease smeared overalls and grimy nails at a well-heeled debutante ball?

If she's fixing things and inventing things and you have no idea how steam made pistons move and how pressure gauges work and what made the old style speed governors work--you might consider changing her occupation to something you do know. Or, as others suggest, start reading steam punk and going to railroad museums to see how locomotives were put together. Watch "How To" automotive TV shows or YouTube videos to see how mechanics talk to each other. Any research/experience will make your writing ring more authentic.

If she's a mechanic at a frilly ball and your point is she holds her own somehow against the finest flowers of society, I say you can get away without knowing squat about bearings, grease zerks or belt drives.

7. Zombie_Chinchilla

In my story, an enemy army storms the main characters' small town, and kidnaps her because the army's mechanics have been killed in combat. So it's basically the reason she's in the situation she's in. If that makes sense. :\

Anyways, I think I will research the basics of steam-powered engines, just so I have an idea of what she's doing.

Thanks everyone for the tips! :]

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Your story sounds awesome.

9. Zombie_Chinchilla

Ha ha, thanks. :redface: :love: